Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big thanks to all the Vetts gurus at VIR Friday!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:50 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Big thanks to all the Vetts gurus at VIR Friday!

Just wanted to make a thread and say thanks to all the vette guys who spent time trying to help me diagnose my engine problem. Much thanks to RedLS6 and Jeff who spent a lot of time. At first I was feeling like King Theodin at Helms Deep right before the big battle when the rain started. The gurus were right, it was a massive air leak, but not from a cracked intake or broken spring, but from this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Apparently my intake, that I bought used, had been modified or repaired before. It looks like it had been glued or epoxyed back. The guy I bought it from said today he bought it from a reputable shop under the impression it was new. Doesn't really matter either way. #7 spark plug was bent to zero gap, so I am guessing it was sucked thru there. Trying to decide whether to pull head now and check cylinder. That means new gaskets, decking one or two heads, plus removing accesories. But I do not want to have to tear it down again. Definitely getting a NEW FAST this time.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and say how good it feels to be part of a great corvette community, to where you are never alone.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:30 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Dont see anything missing from the manifold?!?! although in not to familiar with these new plastic ones.. did something break off of it and get sucked in the cylinder head breaking the #7 spark plug?!?! would think its time for a leak down and compression test at teh least.. I would also measure the lift at the valve..

Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

*Update*

The missing piece is actually a mod Vengeance Racing does for the FAST for C6s, which is where this came from originally. I talked to Vengeance and they are using a new kind of glue as mine is not the first to come off, so I sent it to them today to repair and all should be good. Still doing the compression test on the cylinders anyway. Kind of a fluke thing, but I am getting used to it.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:26 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
*Update*

The missing piece is actually a mod Vengeance Racing does for the FAST for C6s, which is where this came from originally. I talked to Vengeance and they are using a new kind of glue as mine is not the first to come off, so I sent it to them today to repair and all should be good. Still doing the compression test on the cylinders anyway. Kind of a fluke thing, but I am getting used to it.
Hope your engine is still sound!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
bearnest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope to see you back at the track. I was driving the red c6 with black stripe.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by varkwso
Hope your engine is still sound!
Doing compression checks this weekend. Vengeance says that piece is a big thick piece of plexiglass and will not fit thru the opening. He said if it did, it would have seized motor up.

Originally Posted by bearnest
Hope to see you back at the track. I was driving the red c6 with black stripe.
It was fun while it lasted. Good luck in your search for a track car.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Doing compression checks this weekend. Vengeance says that piece is a big thick piece of plexiglass and will not fit thru the opening. He said if it did, it would have seized motor up.

It was fun while it lasted. Good luck in your search for a track car.

something had to damage the plug....
Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I did have that plug out when I installed my oil cooler because I didn't want to break it when I loosened the header. Then again, seems like I would notice it wasn't running right.

BTW - it wasn't the hottest nor the coolest of days Friday and my oil never got above 280* and coolant ran at 205* for the first 2 sessions. And I drove it hard! I know 280* isn't the greatest, but it is tolerable. I will be putting some Amsoil 20-50 in so hopefully that will help a little more. Nice to finally be making some progress with that part.

Get notified of new replies

To Big thanks to all the Vetts gurus at VIR Friday!

Quick Reply: Big thanks to all the Vetts gurus at VIR Friday!