Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar size vs bushing type - fine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Sway bar size vs bushing type - fine tuning

If you have almost the right size bar for the setup you want is it possible to make changes to the bushings that will have the effect of a slightly stiffer/softer bar?

Say rubber to poly to delrin to solid (bearings).

Or does that have a different effect that is not like changing bar size?

I know that there are adjustable bars (mega bucks) but I am looking for just a little "more" front bar tuning.

Right now front bar is stock rubber bushings shimmed to allow the desired amount of unloaded movement.

So leave out adj bars & shimming & just discuss the bushings & how they "change" the setup.

Thanks.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some just tune with washers under the sway bar brackets to make the bar softer. FWIW.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Sway bar bushings are just simply part of a spring system that connects the wheels on each side of the car. From one side to the other the bar connects the wheels, but the stiffness of the end links and the stiffness of the attachment bushings are also part of the overall stiffness of the system.

The bars on our cars are pretty stiff, so small changes to the bushings can and do make a difference in how stiff the overall bar system is. For years folks have been taking out the rubber bushings, putting in poly or delrin bushings and fine tuning the stiffnes of the bars. I have a couple of coffee cans full of different stiffness bushings that I use to help fine tune balance when the car is close. It is just one more tool in the box of tricks that are available...

One thing about tuning with bushings is also to recognize that threre are sometimes more than just the stiffness of the bushing going on there. For instance, on the C4, the stock bushings are tight enough to clamp the bar and don't slide. In this case the rubber is twisting and it adds to the stiffness of the overall system. For that reason, if you replace a clamping rubber bushing with a slipping poly bushing that isn't a lot stiffer, the net effect is that it won't change the stiffness very much.

So the short answer is yes you can easily change the stiffness and it is done all the time.... Stiffer bushings are the same things as thickening the bar, softer bushings are like going to smaller bars...

Last edited by Solofast; 08-31-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
So the short answer is yes you can easily change the stiffness and it is done all the time.... Stiffer bushings are the same things as thickening the bar, softer bushings are like going to smaller bars...

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Who makes a front c5z delrin bushing/clamp? Where I don't have to buy 40 other pieces.

Get notified of new replies

To Sway bar size vs bushing type - fine tuning

Quick Reply: Sway bar size vs bushing type - fine tuning