Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson not really understood, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lesson not really understood, help needed

The suggested thought from my instructor was to try not to engage the traction control in turn 1 at Road Atlanta.

I was running in competitive mode and as I got faster, it would kick in when I hit that turn hot. Hot enough to warrant a slide close to the gators but I never felt like I was in danger of going off track. We would feel a little rear end shift and my instructor would tell me the traction control light would come on and he felt the rear right brake was being applied to help me out . He wanted me to try to make that not happen.

I wish I would have questioned him about it, but the day was cut way short and that last session after lunch was so much hotter running with the blue group that I was just taking it all in, then everybody went home due to the rain.

Anyway, upon reflection, I'm thinking the best solution would be to turn off the traction control. I sure didn't like it destabilizing my rear end right there. Yes I was sliding but I'm real confident I had enough track. What else could I do as a driver but slow down. Or maybe you say fix your line?

The couple times I passed going into turn 1 in the inside it would happen as my line was altered and full track usage needed. I hope Fred reads this, but I don't think he uses the forum much. We altered my line from previous days to utilize more track out there by turning in a little earlier. Previous track days I stayed wide later and ended up mid to 3/4 track out coming out of turn one. I think I was carrying more speed with the new line, obviously the traction control didn't like it.

How about some more instruction please?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 AM
rad_vet
Racer

If you were in Competition mode, it was the Active Handling that was acting. I probably sensed too much slip and activated one of the brakes. The Corvette warning systems are a bit of a nanny.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

What tires are you using?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason
What tires are you using?
Hi Jason,

I was running Kumho V710's

9.5" wheels on front with 275/40/17
11" wheels on back with 335/35/17

and I'll add that for a day where I went faster than ever before, I never once felt the rear even try to get away from me.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

sometimes the system kicks in because it just doesn't like the situation, and sometimes it kicks in because you are overdriving. Without being in the car, it is impossible for me to tell what your case was, but I imagine your instructor felt you could track out a bit more to free the car up, or carry a bit less speed, to make the AH happy.

I have this happen occasionally with students, and often the only REAL remedy is to turn it off. However, that is a decision that you have to live with, as ultimately you may or may not be ready for it.

Don't let it get to you. I'd say there is a 50/50 chance that the light would come on no matter what you do (short of slowing down a lot), but it's always good to work on opening the corners up and applying smooth smooth throttle at all times. I personally feel you are NEVER truly driving the car until you turn the AH/TC off, but unless you are willing to accept the consequences, I never force a student to do so.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 AM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
sometimes the system kicks in because it just doesn't like the situation

I'd say there is a 50/50 chance that the light would come on no matter what you do (short of slowing down a lot),

personally feel you are NEVER truly driving the car until you turn the AH/TC off

yeah... theres no way any of us could put up the times we do with the tc/ah on.

it is not meant for the track.. its overprotective to help the average street driver.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
sometimes the system kicks in because it just doesn't like the situation, and sometimes it kicks in because you are overdriving. Without being in the car, it is impossible for me to tell what your case was, but I imagine your instructor felt you could track out a bit more to free the car up, or carry a bit less speed, to make the AH happy.

I have this happen occasionally with students, and often the only REAL remedy is to turn it off. However, that is a decision that you have to live with, as ultimately you may or may not be ready for it.

Don't let it get to you. I'd say there is a 50/50 chance that the light would come on no matter what you do (short of slowing down a lot), but it's always good to work on opening the corners up and applying smooth smooth throttle at all times. I personally feel you are NEVER truly driving the car until you turn the AH/TC off, but unless you are willing to accept the consequences, I never force a student to do so.
You are probably either "pinching the corner at "apex" or more likely...

being too agressive with the throttle.

Un-winding the steering wheel and smooth throttle application should solve this issue.

Last edited by trumper Z06; 09-02-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I don't think it is that over protective. There is a fairly wide dead band in comp mode where it doesn't do anything. Since the right rear brake was being applied the system was sensing excessive understeer as you were turning right. What set it off was how far you had the steering wheel turned to the right to keep the car on track. Several ways of handling the situation, ignore it as it really didn't mean anything or pay attention to it and determine if you could have done something better. What is the most likely thing that would have activated AH? Probably an early apex and too much speed being carried past the apex. You would be turning the steering wheel more to correct for this situation which would tell the system the car wasn't yawing to the right fast enough for the Gs it was pulling. Secondly, you may have added too much throttle as you started to exit the turn and caused the car to push. Since you are a student I suspect an early apex combined with being hot into the turn was the most likely cause. You felt you were in control but maybe the AH actually kept you from sliding out into those gators by getting the car to turn more than you could. Once you start driving very smoothly and hitting all of the marks AH rarely activates.

Bill
Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trumper Z06

Un-winding the steering wheel and smooth throttle application should solve this issue.

Ok, you bring me visions of turn 1 now. Its fast, sweeping, banked favorably, and uphill, so usually after apex I am back in throttle towards full. Ocasionally after apex, if I sense I'll be tracking out full to the gators I then go light on throttle. Maybe I do pinch a bit as I don't really like being full track out as it messes up turn two.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken - wayne is probably correct but like David said it is hard to quarterback without more data but this is the likely scenario.

I have a totalled 2003 in my driveway from T1 (Mike's car). Traded to a C6 eh? At some point the AH will start to slow you down - especially if you drive the car "loose".
Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by varkwso
Traded to a C6 eh?
No, that was a misstatement. Same car as in sig. I actually slowed it down by pulling the FAST92 off. Big difference though, the FAST goes back on this weekend. I can't stand those pretty C6 cars pulling away from me in the straights.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:51 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

I think the key term here is the "sliding". Nanny help will almost always kick in during wheel slip.

I think you were a touch early on the apex, and a touch hot. The nanny may have helped, and it may have been a touch overly protective

I would try a slightly different line (later apex?), and if you data log see what works best. Other option is to back off a bit on the lap times and work without any "nanny" assistance and work your way back up when comfortable.

G'luck
Fej
Old 09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
Maybe I do pinch a bit as I don't really like being full track out as it messes up turn two.
T2/T3 is like eating spaghetti, it's always gonna be a little messy.

I prefer the AH totally off. It cuts in a lot, even if the car isn't really out of shape.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
Ok, you bring me visions of turn 1 now. Its fast, sweeping, banked favorably, and uphill, so usually after apex I am back in throttle towards full. Ocasionally after apex, if I sense I'll be tracking out full to the gators I then go light on throttle. Maybe I do pinch a bit as I don't really like being full track out as it messes up turn two.
That's typical as the student gets faster. Let the car run out... track left, it will come back to track center approaching the top of the hill.

If you do this, be ready to BRAKE HARD at the top of the hill, making sure the car is STRAIGHT (aligned to track left at corner) !!!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Once you start driving very smoothly and hitting all of the marks AH rarely activates.

Bill
not really true... race tires slip.. its what they do.. its also what AH hates.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the posts guys. You got me re-living the track so much that I would say it made up for one of the lost sessions the rain took away

Get notified of new replies

To Lesson not really understood, help needed

Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's typical as the student gets faster. Let the car run out... track left, it will come back to track center approaching the top of the hill.

If you do this, be ready to BRAKE HARD at the top of the hill, making sure the car is STRAIGHT (aligned to track left at corner) !!!

yup do it that way so I can pass you on the inside....

T2 is a fluid turn under acceleration all the way to the brake zone prior to hopping the curb (or not as some run it) ....
Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ryan0
not really true... race tires slip.. its what they do.. its also what AH hates.
Uummm... no.

You want the tires at ~ 5 to 6 degrees "slip angle", if you're sliding, you're losing traction.

Bill's right. Active handling in competitive mode doesn't really activate unless you are exceeding the tires limits/or over driving.

That said, the car is faster with the nannies turned off.

But only if you are able to push it to a razor's edge when cornering.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=varkwso;1571356285]yup do it that way so I can pass you on the inside....

Seth Thomas passes me in a Porsche 911 RS (the 250,000 Euro spec race car)...

But not in turn ONE.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper

Last edited by trumper Z06; 09-02-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Lesson not really understood, help needed