Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[TEXAS] TWS HPDE Sept 26-27

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default [TEXAS] TWS HPDE Sept 26-27

This will be my first HPDE and have never been to TWS. So I have many questions....

1) Anyone from here going?
2) Can the "TWS Tech-Sheet" be filled out and signed by me the driver?
3) Are SFI approved gloves & shoes required?
4) Are shatter proof eyewear required? Will a helmet faceshield be suffeciant?
5) Do drivers get a shaded area in the padocks? If not are easy-ups allowed?
6) Can my GF come along and watch over my stuff while I'm on the track?

I'm sure I'll have more but for now this is it.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
timsam
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done TWS with The Driver's Edge before. So I assume everything is the same...

2) I believe the Tech Inspection is by a certified Mechanic
3) Nope, just closed toe shoes
4) Nope...I run an open faced Helmet
5) They have Race Ports you can rent...and yes Easy Ups are allowed...just cant use an anchor into the concrete
6) Yep, anyone is allowed in the Paddock. Although with everyone being racers, I wouldnt worry about your stuff while you are on the track.

Some of the rules might be different depending on what group you are running with.

HAVE FUN!!! TWS is a blast!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:07 PM
MRIENG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I might be going up on Sunday. As for your other questions.
2. I wouldn't. Have your mechanic do a tech on your car if you have'nt been out on the track first. Go over everything.
3. No, but always good to wear.
4. Don't know. Wear a full face.
5. You can rent a garage space or if you get there early, you can find a spot to pitch an ez up.
6. Yes. The more, the merry.

Cheers
Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
MRIENG
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Just thought I'd post a couple of vids of TWS if you've never been there.

http://www.vimeo.com/2208237

The track is a hoot!

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Thanks everyone.

In regards to my "Tech-Sheet" question...the reason I asked is because I am my own mechanic. I know my car like the back of my hand, and just don't see paying someone $60+ to do a tech inspection when they have never even touched my car.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 97C5ENVY
Thanks everyone.

In regards to my "Tech-Sheet" question...the reason I asked is because I am my own mechanic. I know my car like the back of my hand, and just don't see paying someone $60+ to do a tech inspection when they have never even touched my car.
Ive always filled out my own tech, been there 4 times, no prob. I make sure I bring fluids, bleed the brakes, I always bring an extra set of rotors for the front, I should bring pads too
you will be in the Green heats. maybe you know the drill but the hardest thing is getting there at the crack of dawn on a Saturday--if you accomplish that the rest of the day is easy... see the ladies in the building in the middle to see if a covered paddock is available, if not bring your cover for shade--very good idea for your girlfriend-there's not much to do there for her, is she bringing a car too---however you will be busy most of the day with classes, the runs, lunch, back again.

Last edited by drivinfast; 09-02-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I may attend. Which direction are they running that weekend?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Bills Z06
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I'll be there with my yellow C5. Great track and good advise from the previous guys. You'll have a blast. I believe they will be running the 2.9 mile course counter clockwise. Be looking for you there.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
I'll be there with my yellow C5. Great track and good advise from the previous guys. You'll have a blast. I believe they will be running the 2.9 mile course counter clockwise. Be looking for you there.
I've run there once with TDE in CC direction, fun track. I'll be there for this event. TDE runs TWS early October CC as well, I'll be there again. Look forward to seeing you.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

TWS is one of the great tracks in Texas. Glad you're coming. One thing: There was a theft there recently. The bad guys scoped out the pits and took wallets, small stuff and so forth from a number of participants. The track, as a result, has a heightened sense of security. Better records are kept of cars entering and leaving, for example, and folks watch out for one another. I don't lock up every tool when I go there now, but my important stuff stays locked up. Have a good weekend.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM
BRU
Le Mans Master

97C5ENVY just pointed me to this thread.

I'll be there - looking forward to meeting everyone and running the track for the first time. I'll be in a Yellow C6.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:45 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I need to watch this forum more closely. I'll be at the next one
Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

I have everything ready to go....it's gonna be fun!!

I'm in car #97 in case anybody wants to stop by and say Hi.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm in #96 black C5Z, see everybody there...hopefully the weather will be good by Saturday.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Shortcutsleeping
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 97 Posts

Congrats on your first HPDE. Relax, be smooth and as fast as you are comfortable with, and have fun!!

1. Yes, I'll be instructing on Saturday and possibly part of Sunday depending on my exit strategy.

2) Not sure, send an email to the organizers and ask.

3: Shoes need to be closed toe'd and gloves are not required. Speaking of, gloves won't make you faster, they don't help you feel the steering wheel and the jury is out on if they make you look cool. Gloves WILL on the other hand, help keep your skin intact when you have an off and have to crawl out of the car pushing busted armco or parts out of the way....or push a broken windshield out of the frame....or....you get the idea. While those situations are very unlikely, the chance is there and gloves are cheap. Even clean mechanix gloves will be much preferred to torn up skin 'just in case'. My .02.

4] Eyewear not required, a full face helmet is a good idea, but open face ones are allowed.

5} Garages are sold when signing up and usually are sold out long before the event. However, cancellations happen and it does not hurt to ask at registration if one is available (they are cheap). If not, an ezup and some folding chars are good. Bring some tie-downs to secure the ezup as TWS winds can be strong and instant.

6~ Friends can come, but have them bring boredom-resistant items. iPods, books, soduko puzzles, etc. Track days, like autocrossing and lawn-mowing, are not things that are inherently fun to watch. Once a few cars go by, the impact is about the same as watching a highway. Sure, some loud fast cars are sweet, but the event for a non-driver can be pretty boring. You can take the friend on the parade laps (slow speed) during lunch so they can see the track and they are also allowed to ride with a willing instructor if they are so inclined. I've taken dozens and they typically enjoy seeing the track at a decent clip.

As for your tech form, I can't recount the number of times I've seen issues with hubs, balljoints and tie-rods that were responded with "uh, that was fine when I checked it...uh.........er....not too long ago". Some folks (and I'm not saying you fit this category) take it as an ego hit to have another person look over their car. Remember, this is a safety thing and if it helps you keep the shiny side up, then it is a good thing. Just my .02.

As with any track day event, I'm sure you've read up a bit, but bring and drink lots of clear fluids (water, G2, etc), get a good nights rest and be open to what you are told. If you are a big-ego person (not saying you are...but) check it at the gate. Drivers in "slower" cars will likely be passing you and while some folks are okay with that immediately, others seem to struggle with it. They obviously have some skill and are driving well, point them by and follow and learn. You don't learn ANYthing from holding them back.

Bring a cam, take pics, have your friend take pics and enjoy the event. They are a ton of fun and very addicting.

Costas
cars and such...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:20 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortcutsleeping
3: Shoes need to be closed toe'd and gloves are not required. Speaking of, gloves won't make you faster, they don't help you feel the steering wheel and the jury is out on if they make you look cool. Gloves WILL on the other hand, help keep your skin intact when you have an off and have to crawl out of the car pushing busted armco or parts out of the way....or push a broken windshield out of the frame....or....you get the idea. While those situations are very unlikely, the chance is there and gloves are cheap. Even clean mechanix gloves will be much preferred to torn up skin 'just in case'. My .02.
Also prevents sweat from getting on the wheel. I plan on buying some to use even for drag racing.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:48 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

I bought a set of SFI appoved gloves from summit racing last month for like $35. From what I was reading on the Texas Mile they require SFI approved gloves....which is why I bought them. But I will be using them at this event to keep sweat off the steering wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To [TEXAS] TWS HPDE Sept 26-27

Old 09-25-2009, 02:52 PM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be there next weekend with The Driver's Edge. TWS is a blast! Definitely my favorite track. Here are a couple of my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfRwVCU64s0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu8dOiETVXA
Old 10-04-2009, 06:34 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I missed the Sep 26-27 event due to work commitments. Driving this weekend for the TDE event...rained 2 of 4 sessions Saturday. Sunday looks to be rain.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I missed the Sep 26-27 event due to work commitments. Driving this weekend for the TDE event...rained 2 of 4 sessions Saturday. Sunday looks to be rain.
Last weekend was a big disappointment. I only ran the first two sessions Saturday, just came back Sunday afternoon to pick up my stuff. When is the next opportunity to get up there on a weekend? I know TWS has an open track day this Friday but I won't be able to make that, and right now it looks like rain anyway. I've only been there with TDE and NASA, what other groups are there?

Quick Reply: [TEXAS] TWS HPDE Sept 26-27