Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody towed with a Range Rover Sport Supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anybody towed with a Range Rover Sport Supercharged?

I'm considering one as a DD/very-occasional tow rig. With the 2010s coming out w/ a new interior, slightly redesigned exterior (I'm not a fan), and 510hp I'm seeing a LOT of great deals on '06-09s. I still drive my car to most events, but for things 2+ hours away it'd be nice to start towing (particularly since I'm going to an ARE dry-sump so I'm ditching AC). With my work/travel I would say I make it to events where I'd tow about 1 time a quarter, once a month MAX. Yes, I know a dizzy is the way to go for those that tow a lot, but that's not where I'm at.

Of course I'd be using an (light) open trailer.

Potential strengths of the RRS SC for towing:
  • ~7,700lbs tow rating - more than a C5Z on an open trailer
  • ~5,500lbs curb weight
  • auto-leveling air suspension
  • Brembo brakes
  • 390hp/410tq
  • comfy/nice place to spend time

Potential weaknesses of the RRS SC for towing:
  • ~7,700lbs tow rating - not a LOT more than a C5Z on an open trailer (overkill is king)
  • heat-soak w/ the blower towing (no idea, just seems like it could be an issue)
  • MPG
  • General d-bag/yuppie soccer mom image

Thoughts (and flames)?

-TJ

PS- I would never, ever, EVER own a Land Rover of any sort w/o an extended warranty that covers as long as I intend to own it. So please don't give me the British car reliability song 'n dance. RRS's are actually pretty decent, and heck my Lexus was Lemon Lawed so who knows anymore!

Last edited by tjZ06; 09-02-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full warranty coverage = smart plan

As for the other things, really just depends on what you are looking for in a DD, more so that it does a tow vehicle. You could go the Escalade/Denali route for the same concept without the possible heat soak issues.

You could also go pick up a mid to high mileage diesel truck for the tow option and pickup some lease return for similar total cash I would bet.

I love my 06 Duramax CC shortbed. Fully loaded, pulls down 19+ mpg every tank and rides pretty damn nice. Have a set of HD Bilsteins waiting to go on it in another 10-15k miles.

G'luck man
Fej
Old 09-03-2009, 01:19 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fej
Full warranty coverage = smart plan

As for the other things, really just depends on what you are looking for in a DD, more so that it does a tow vehicle. You could go the Escalade/Denali route for the same concept without the possible heat soak issues.

You could also go pick up a mid to high mileage diesel truck for the tow option and pickup some lease return for similar total cash I would bet.

I love my 06 Duramax CC shortbed. Fully loaded, pulls down 19+ mpg every tank and rides pretty damn nice. Have a set of HD Bilsteins waiting to go on it in another 10-15k miles.

G'luck man
Fej

I don't have time/space for buying 2 more vehicles. The priority is DD but towing too is a consideration. And you'd be surprised at the deal I'm getting on the rig I'm picking up today.

-TJ
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that sounds like a pretty pimp setup. worst case scenario - you'll have to mod 2 cars instead of one
Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Lucas refrigerators

Don't get me wrong I love British cars, you just have to be a bit of a masochist to own one!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:56 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by longdaddy
that sounds like a pretty pimp setup. worst case scenario - you'll have to mod 2 cars instead of one

Haha. I guess it's a bit "pimp" but honestly one of the reasons I'm not big on the Escalade is the "hood rich" image. I guess I'm going to get the "white guy with more money than common sense" image though.

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Why do the British drink warm beer?

Lucas refrigerators

Don't get me wrong I love British cars, you just have to be a bit of a masochist to own one!
Haha. No doubt. My uncle was into Jags forever, and joked about needed to buy 2 anytime he got one... one to drive while the other is in the shop.

But as I said, bumper to bumper extended warranty with a low/no deductible is a requirement for me (and the one I'm getting has that).

-TJ
Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

range rover.

Do not they have mechanical issues ? ie just like the Jag above
Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

OK, it will tow 7700 lbs. Di=oes it have provisions for installing an electronic trailer brake controller? Will you have to get an aftermarket hitch of at least a Class 3 if not a Class 5? Does it have a good tranny cooler? HD cooling, big battery, What is the load range rating of the tires?

A C5 Z06 on an open trailer shouldn't be much more than 5500lbs even with an all-steel trailer. If you don't go over 80% of the maximum recommend towed weight (and that 5500 is right around 80%) you should be OK.

But what is the GCWR of the R-R? That is the Gross Combined Weight Rating and is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including all passengers and cargo. You have to total up the weight of everything you will be bringing with you. Tires, tools, friends, kids, the dog, whatever. All that weight has to be added and can't exceed the GCWR of the vehicle. And the tongue weight of the trailer (about 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight) has to be added to that weight.

You may not want to hear about the relative poor service/maintenance record of R-R's but the fact is that they do have some issues and the cost of repairs are higher than comparable Tahoe's, Suburbans, Expeditions, etc.

If it's going to be a DD, you really should consider a pickup. You can carry a lot of cargo you need for track days in the bed, extended cabs have lots of storage space and can carry folks in decent comfort, and you will probably get better gas economy.

My 08 SIlverado 4x4 Extended cab LTZ and 6.0L gas motor does an excellent job of hauling my 87 coupe and 18' steel trailer (total weight about 5400 lbs) and gets 11.5 to 12 mpg in the process at freeway speeds. It has a HD trailering package that includes an integral trailer brake controller, big tranny cooler, HD everything and a Class IV hitch.

But is sounds like you are ready to go with a R-R anyway. Hope it all works for you, but most everyone I know that tows a car for some sort of motorsports activity will either have a pickup (gas or diesel) or a Ford or Chevy SUV like a Tahoe, Suburban, or Expedition
Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
range rover.

Do not they have mechanical issues ? ie just like the Jag above
The Sport actually does pretty well, but they have their little issues. I just picked one up today w/ 2 years left on an unlimited mileage warranty. If I keep it longer than 2 years I'll extend the warranty further, I will not own a Land Rover w/o a warranty.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
OK, it will tow 7700 lbs. Di=oes it have provisions for installing an electronic trailer brake controller? Will you have to get an aftermarket hitch of at least a Class 3 if not a Class 5? Does it have a good tranny cooler? HD cooling, big battery, What is the load range rating of the tires?

A C5 Z06 on an open trailer shouldn't be much more than 5500lbs even with an all-steel trailer. If you don't go over 80% of the maximum recommend towed weight (and that 5500 is right around 80%) you should be OK.

But what is the GCWR of the R-R? That is the Gross Combined Weight Rating and is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including all passengers and cargo. You have to total up the weight of everything you will be bringing with you. Tires, tools, friends, kids, the dog, whatever. All that weight has to be added and can't exceed the GCWR of the vehicle. And the tongue weight of the trailer (about 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight) has to be added to that weight.

You may not want to hear about the relative poor service/maintenance record of R-R's but the fact is that they do have some issues and the cost of repairs are higher than comparable Tahoe's, Suburbans, Expeditions, etc.

If it's going to be a DD, you really should consider a pickup. You can carry a lot of cargo you need for track days in the bed, extended cabs have lots of storage space and can carry folks in decent comfort, and you will probably get better gas economy.

My 08 SIlverado 4x4 Extended cab LTZ and 6.0L gas motor does an excellent job of hauling my 87 coupe and 18' steel trailer (total weight about 5400 lbs) and gets 11.5 to 12 mpg in the process at freeway speeds. It has a HD trailering package that includes an integral trailer brake controller, big tranny cooler, HD everything and a Class IV hitch.

But is sounds like you are ready to go with a R-R anyway. Hope it all works for you, but most everyone I know that tows a car for some sort of motorsports activity will either have a pickup (gas or diesel) or a Ford or Chevy SUV like a Tahoe, Suburban, or Expedition
Awesome input, thank you. To get to some of your questions. It is not pre-wired for a brake controller but one can, of course, be added (and will get added to mine).

All it needs as far as a "hitch" is this receiver adapter thing: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/KNB500080G.cfm as the rest is integral to the frame.

I believe the Supercharged model (what I got) has HD cooling for the motor and trans, regardless I'm going to look into an additional tranny cooler.

The battery and tire load-rating questions I'll have to research a bit (aka walk out to the truck and look at them, haha).

GCWR is 13318, Curb Weight is listed at 5670, leaving 7558. Going ahead and taking 80% of that you get 6046. Figuring 1000lbs of ppl and stuff in the truck that "only" leaves ~5k lbs for the car/trailer to stay under 80% of what the truck is rated for. That will be very close w/ a steel trailer.

It'll do it... but if I were towing more than a handful of times per year I'd go to a dizzy pickup.

And here she is:

-TJ
Old 09-04-2009, 06:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
I will not own a Land Rover w/o a warranty.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

TJ my brother is a GM for Range Rover and he has a handfull of customer that tow with your truck, and he says they have gotten better over the years but as long as you have a warranty you will love the truck. PM me if you need anything.
Nando
Old 09-04-2009, 01:54 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Thanks.

Originally Posted by PA Z06
TJ my brother is a GM for Range Rover and he has a handfull of customer that tow with your truck, and he says they have gotten better over the years but as long as you have a warranty you will love the truck. PM me if you need anything.
Nando
Awesome, thanks!!! And yes I have an extended warranty on it, only 2 years (unlimited miles) at this point but it was no-cost to me (prev owner paid transfer fee) and I'll have the option of extending it in 2 years if I stay with this truck. I got a pretty insane deal on it, so I'm a happy guy right now.

-TJ
Old 09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy bro, and if it causes you grief, you are under warranty (with a "complimentary" car I assume)

Fej

Get notified of new replies

To Has anybody towed with a Range Rover Sport Supercharged?

Quick Reply: Has anybody towed with a Range Rover Sport Supercharged?