Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any YouTube Traqmate laps for RoadAtlanta or Barber out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any YouTube Traqmate laps for RoadAtlanta or Barber out there?

I learned a lot from driving with my instructor last week at road atlanta.

Watching things like

shift points/gears in various turns
speed capable in the turn
line of course

gave me a lot of ideas. Some I was able to emulate and others just aspire to as I get better.

Really only interested in watching a car like my own. Not even a C6 as I understand the gearing is way different.

C5 Z06
Old 09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Actually my C6 is (I believe identical) to my C5Z. I shift in exactly the same points as I did my C5, so they have to be nearly spot on. I have plenty of video either way of both tracks.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Actually my C6 is (I believe identical) to my C5Z. I shift in exactly the same points as I did my C5, so they have to be nearly spot on. I have plenty of video either way of both tracks.
Saw your site and that is exactly what I'm looking for. I hope I don't offend you, but I was hoping to do it the youtube free way. Perhaps there aren't any quaility vette drivers out there using traqmate and sharing what they've learned. If so, obviously what you offer has value. The quicker you can embed what works the best, the quicker you can do it.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think chris has a bunch of youtube stuff out there to
Old 09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
Saw your site and that is exactly what I'm looking for. I hope I don't offend you, but I was hoping to do it the youtube free way. Perhaps there aren't any quaility vette drivers out there using traqmate and sharing what they've learned. If so, obviously what you offer has value. The quicker you can embed what works the best, the quicker you can do it.
Nope, no offense taken. I have some video (clips and some 1 lap stuff) out there on You Tube (under my screen name I think - wtknght1), but none of it involves Traqmate - sorry. My DVDs are all 2+ hours of in-car footage...watch as much as you want.

Most of the imbedded data on video is slow (not accurate as far where you are on the video), so I'm not a big fan of it. I do have plenty of data though that I'd be happy to share with you. The only problem with that is that my car is a fully T1 prepped Vette, so the speeds and G forces most likely won't link up with your car...just as mine wouldn't with a GT1 car.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

This record has since been broken by Mark(drivinhard):
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=RdAtl613.flv

Give me an email and I can send you traqmate of a 1:36.8 lap
Old 09-02-2009, 02:46 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jason
This record has since been broken by Mark(drivinhard):
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=RdAtl613.flv

Give me an email and I can send you traqmate of a 1:36.8 lap
wow you have a totally different 1/2/3 than me. 5 to.

we need to overlay some traqmate this dec

post more vids, I need to steal some secrets

I hope we get some nice sunny 50/60 degree dec day in Dec, year end fling, everybody on sticker A 295's, cars making 20 more hp than in Aug, gonna be a hoot
Old 09-02-2009, 05:05 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
wow you have a totally different 1/2/3 than me. 5 to.

we need to overlay some traqmate this dec

post more vids, I need to steal some secrets

I hope we get some nice sunny 50/60 degree dec day in Dec, year end fling, everybody on sticker A 295's, cars making 20 more hp than in Aug, gonna be a hoot
Jason is close to my line in T1,2,3 - I try to cheat in a little less on T1 entry, apex a little later on T1, flow a little more to the right entering 2 and take as much bite on the rumble as the car can take without too much upset. I try to apex T5 a smidgen little later - but I do not hold any track records, and never have, at Road Atlanta... and what I intend and what I do varies sometimes...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by varkwso
I try to apex T5 a smidgen little later
I get in as early as I can in 5, I run mine full wide off 5, over the rumbles, all the way out the wall. It's harder to do with the stiffer T1 bars, but fresh tires will keep it from getting real upset. I think you can get in the gas sooner by doing that. And you can early apex there if you run it wide (otherwise, there's no way you'd keep it off the rumbles)

I dunno if jason can run it over the rumbles WOT since he rides around on the bump stops. lol. I did this in my old FWD car, and got used to it I guess, but it was always faster in that.

I have to pinch the car and (what feels like) scrub speed to keep it off the rumbles. I just let the thing run free if I can, if it's paved, I'm on it, and if it's dirt, sometimes I use it to

who knows if any of that is faster, that is where the traqmate is nice.

btw 5 is where I really bobbled on sun in Aug, only got 1 good lap (sebastian took us slow on the first one, so it was throw away). On the 2nd lap, I got it too hard on the outside rumbles and got it loose into 5, lost a lot there catching it and out of the gas for what seems like forever. Jason was all over me on time, plus like a moron I filled up the gas tank with 100 lbs of fuel sat afternoon not even thinking about what I was doing, jason did the same thing the previous week when we did the tranny

Last edited by drivinhard; 09-02-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I get in as early as I can in 5, I run mine full wide off 5, over the rumbles, all the way out the wall. It's harder to do with the stiffer T1 bars, but fresh tires will keep it from getting real upset. I think you can get in the gas sooner by doing that. And you can early apex there if you run it wide (otherwise, there's no way you'd keep it off the rumbles)
......:

I hit the rumble,a lot, on exit of T5 - allows more throttle (I think also)....
Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I've had 2 incidents in T5 now, one involving the wall. I take it easy through there. You guys are nuts.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

How about T10? Jake was watching Cory Friedman and a few other GT3 Cup guys and they angle in at T10 instead of staying track right and turning in. Naturally he started doing it - he seems to like it and since he was 4 seconds faster then me at Road Atlanta I need to open my mind to it..or accept 2nd tier status in the house. You guys seen people do this (on purpose)?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I've really moved my 10a apex earlier and kinda scrub speed a little sideways. Traqmate looks good through there.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I take it easy through there.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:16 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

....... and kinda scrub speed a little sideways. .....
That pretty well sums it up
Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

How about T10? Jake was watching Cory Friedman and a few other GT3 Cup guys and they angle in at T10 instead of staying track right and turning in. Naturally he started doing it - he seems to like it and since he was 4 seconds faster then me at Road Atlanta I need to open my mind to it..or accept 2nd tier status in the house. You guys seen people do this (on purpose)?
My instructor ( Fred Turner 1:38 laps ) took me for a ride and my eyes almost popped out of my head when he passed hot to the inside on 10a. Started mid track and somehow turned A & B into almost a straight line. Still not sure how he did it. Evidently there is some room for creativity there.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Hey all you hijackers, cough up some video of a C5 at Barber so I don't have to waste a whole day learning the flow. I want to see/hear the shift points too.

Can't stand those AtomicZ type vids where they blast rock music in the background. Engine music please , blips and all

Get notified of new replies

To Any YouTube Traqmate laps for RoadAtlanta or Barber out there?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

My lines are a little different than Jasons, and no Traqmate (sorry). But, I use a variety of lines in this vid depending on traffic, how bad my tires/brakes are getting (the tires were pretty tired by Sunday), etc.

http://www.vimeo.com/1518085

This video has quite a few laps between 1:36.0 and 1:36.3.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikahb
My lines are a little different than Jasons, and no Traqmate (sorry). But, I use a variety of lines in this vid depending on traffic, how bad my tires/brakes are getting (the tires were pretty tired by Sunday), etc.

http://www.vimeo.com/1518085

This video has quite a few laps between 1:36.0 and 1:36.3.
Great stuff Mikah, thanks.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Sure...it's a technique. Since you're essentially shortening the overall distance traveled, it might be quicker. And the fact that the distance between 10a and b is very short (so the speeds are lower), it might not matter. The only downside to it is if it screws up your entry and subsequent exit from 10b. That's a long run over that hill and down to 12, so you wouldn't want to sacrifice speed there.

The other benefit of doing a "diagonal" braking zone into 10a is that it essentially lengthens the braking zone, so you might be able to stay on the gas longer thru turn 9. The downside of course is that you probably won't be able to negotiate 10a as fast, so you may have to brake more.

The only way to know for sure is to look at the data and the stopwatch.

Quick Reply: Any YouTube Traqmate laps for RoadAtlanta or Barber out there?