Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hpde

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
saibel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpde

I am heading to my first HPDE next week and had a question about fuel additives? Can anyone offer advice on using a product like this to manage detonation

Any other advice is welcome too I am going to change the oil prior to the event

Thanks in advance
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I used a fuel additive once at the track for no reason other than I had it. Never ever again! The car was exteremly difficult to start immediately after the first session and stayed that way for nearly 2 full tanks of gas. Not sure why other than maybe because the car runs so pig rich when wide open.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I would [B]strongly[B] advise against fuel additives we used them a couple of times and one of them actually clogged one of the fuel injectors. The additives have an oxidizer in them which helps the fuel burn but it is terrible on any metal parts that it touches. If you use it and pull the spark plugs they will have an orange tint to them. If you are worried about detonation just mix in a couple of gallons of race fuel with your 93 octane. But make sure that it is unleaded race fuel! If the nozzle on the pump is too big to fit in the whole on your gas tank, it's leaded and will cause hell with your cats and O2 sensors.
One other place you can get racing fuel cheap is at the airport, some airports have unleaded airplane fuel which is what I have been running in my T1 car all year.

BTW there is no reason to run race fuel unless you have had the car re-tuned or have had the heads milled etc. The LS2 should run just fine on 93 octane, and you won't get any more power just because it's race gas. The only reason raceing gas makes more power is because you can add more timing, the only way to do that is to have your car tuned for race gas.
Otherwise it's just a waste of money. Just a little FYI.
Although I really like the smell of spent race gas, if women were paying attention they would make a perfume that smells like that!

Last edited by 96CollectorSport; 09-03-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hpde

Quick Reply: Hpde