Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What grease for Poly bushings and what should the camber be set to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
ibjamin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What grease for Poly bushings and what should the camber be set to?

Installing the VBP Poly bushings at the moment. Wondering what camber I should get the car set to. Car is street driven and also to the tracks. I run R compound or slicks at the track.

I currently run about -2.2 front, -1.2 rear. But I heard I can run less since the bushing deflection should be gone. How does -1.5 F and -1 R sound? Would like to make the tires wear a little less on the insides.

Also, what kind of grease should be used on these bushings? I went ahead and installed Zerk fittings on the arms so I can grease them. I saw Mobil 1 grease. Would that work good?

BTW, when I removed my old bushings I used a cheap Harbor Freight hydraulic press. All the bushings came out so well and undamaged that I could probably use them again by pressing them back in.

G
Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

If you run R compounds at only -1.5, you will eat the outside edges on-track. How much street driving do you do besides to/from the track?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 PM
ibjamin
Racer

5K a year but I'd likely do more if I quit working on the car all the time.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I have the Pfadt poly bushings and use marine grade grease. I was told it resists water better by not getting rinsed away as easily. I also have the zirks installed.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

die-electric grease cheap at NAPA
Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 AM
LilR3dCorvette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St: Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ibjamin
Also, what kind of grease should be used on these bushings? I went ahead and installed Zerk fittings on the arms so I can grease them. I saw Mobil 1 grease. Would that work good?

G
The folks at VBP recommended using marine grease when I got my poly bushings. Can be found at ACE hardware or other similar stores. I think it was $10 for a big tube of it.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I have the Pfadt poly bushings and use marine grade grease. I was told it resists water better by not getting rinsed away as easily. I also have the zirks installed.
are the zirk fittings as easy to install as it seems... just drill, tap and insert the fitting in the control arm? I'm doing my Pfadt bushings this weekend so now would be the perfect time to do this.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
are the zirk fittings as easy to install as it seems... just drill, tap and insert the fitting in the control arm? I'm doing my Pfadt bushings this weekend so now would be the perfect time to do this.
It was easy for me because someone else did the work

A young engineer/mechanic/car enthusiast usually does my wrenching and according to him the biggest issue was where to place the zirks for easy access and at the same time keeping them from being too exposed to road hazards (rocks...asphalt...off course spins...etc...). All being said it was a non issue for him, he is extremely smart and meticulous with detail....genuine engineering DNA. Good Luck With Yours
Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Care to share where the fittings were placed? I have an idea but if someone has a better one I'm all ears
Old 09-03-2009, 01:32 PM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by ibjamin
Installing the VBP Poly bushings at the moment. Wondering what camber I should get the car set to. Car is street driven and also to the tracks. I run R compound or slicks at the track.

I currently run about -2.2 front, -1.2 rear. But I heard I can run less since the bushing deflection should be gone. How does -1.5 F and -1 R sound? Would like to make the tires wear a little less on the insides.

BTW, when I removed my old bushings I used a cheap Harbor Freight hydraulic press. All the bushings came out so well and undamaged that I could probably use them again by pressing them back in.

G
With the Poly C-Arm bushings you can run -1.5 to -1.8 front and I would suggest -1.0 to -1.2 in the rear. Testing is obviously extremely important and checking your cross temps will tell you where to go from there. I like staying in the -1.0 range in the rear because it allows you to plant the power.

I'm not sure what VBP supplies with there kits but we use NEO Synthetic watercraft grease in our kits. We have a 14oz tube for grease guns but you'll need a tough gun! You can use any watercraft type grease but I would stay away from the Mobil1 or moly type grease.

Please feel free to call or email us anytime with questions!

Kind regards,
Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
Care to share where the fittings were placed? I have an idea but if someone has a better one I'm all ears
I don't have any pics and the car is away having the Pfadt camber kit installed (something you might wanna do now). I'll PM you pics as soon as I get it back in a day or two, but you'll probably be finished by then.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 PM
ibjamin
Racer

Here are some pics of my rear arms showing the zerks. They are on the top on the lower arms and the bottom of the upper arms. Don't have pics of the fronts. The front lower arms have them on the bottom. Didn't put any on the front upper because that is a one piece bushing. I figure I can take them apart pretty easy if they need to be regreased.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i6...20and%20tires/
Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

ibjamin, thanks for those pics.

I just did the full install of the control arm bushings this weekend along with putting zerk fittings on all of them... 14 hours later its done! I did every bushing except for the rear lower control arms, I just flat ran outta time. I will probably do them over the winter but I want to drive the car for alittle bit and see how it feels.

I'm thinking about keeping the stock rubber bushings in the rear for a couple reasons. First being that they are the only one piece pfadt bushings that came with the kit, and I'm worried about NHV. I don't want to have to remove and regrease them once a year. Thats why I installed the zerk fittings. All the other bushigns are two piece and I think the placement of the zerk fitting right in the center of the CA will make lubing the whole bushing a snap. I also think leaving the rear a little 'softer' then the front will help me put the power down, might be totally off on this so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm getting an alignment done this week and should be ready to hit the track again on the 18th... can't wait.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 PM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Ibjamin,

We use (and recommend) white lithium marine grease. Also, I agree with Jordan at Pfadt on his choice for grease.

Check out this alignment specs chart. Depending on how you plan on using the car, there are some very good baseline numbers here …

http://www.vbandp.com/instructions/h...ruct/align.htm

Sincerely,
Alan G.
VBP - Vette Brakes & Products, Inc.

Get notified of new replies

To What grease for Poly bushings and what should the camber be set to?

Quick Reply: What grease for Poly bushings and what should the camber be set to?