Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mosport Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:38 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Mosport Track Day

Up in the Great White North, just a little ways from the City of Toronto, we have this cool little road course track called Mosport ... you might have heard of it!

They run the ALMS race there, CAN-AM Muscle Milk, SPEED World GT and Tourning races ... Forumula Ford, Star Mazda, IMSA Lites .... even some Canadian Tire NASCAR races!

There are a few different HPDE Companies that run events at Mosport through out the Spring, Summer and Fall ... I normally run with 'APEX' or 'Dexter Days' ... 'Apex' is run by John Maler, and the 'Dexter Days' has John Powell (of Powell Motorsports - Corvette Challenge Fame) instructing.

Is there any interest from all the American Track Rats to visit us up here in the North, and enjoy this world class track?

If so, post to this thread, and I'll see what I can set up with 'Apex' for next year ... most likely a two day event ... so the first day can be getting use to the track ... Turns 2 and 4 are AWESOME ... major pucker factor Nice long back straight away, followed by a fun sweeping right hander ... very challenging ... VERY fun!

Safety rules are not as strick as most US tracks ... so if you don't have a roll bar/cage, you'll still be able to participate.

If there is some serious interest, 'Apex' would run a Corvette Only event ... plus, we'll probably see a few of the race preped Vettes out on the track as well ... we can set up hotels, etc. ... would be a blast if you're interested!

Here's alittle taste!

Here's a clip of "Maximum Bob" in his C6 Z06 chassing GETTREAL Steve in his Tripple Black C5

Wheel Cam ... Formula Ford Champion Matt White driving FIRE-N-ICE's Z06

Mark

Last edited by CDN_Wolf_eh; 09-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

COM runs there every year. We were at Calabogie last weekend and some of my friends continued on the next day to Mosport to run that event. Wanted to go, but my diff burned up and I had to get back to work.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 AM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastguy
COM runs there every year. We were at Calabogie last weekend and some of my friends continued on the next day to Mosport to run that event. Wanted to go, but my diff burned up and I had to get back to work.

Sorry, is COM - Corvettes of Maine?

How did you enjoy Calabogie? I just got back from there on Thursday ... fun track, very technical ... I think though, I still prefer Mosports high speed, and it's much easier on the brakes!

Mark
Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I will be back up after I win those track days from the drawing we got from the Pfadt guy......and if I don't win the track days, I will be back for next year's race...
Old 09-13-2009, 12:46 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would love to attend an event at Mossport. The major question that comes to mind is crossing the border. Passport is no problem. What if any problems with customs etc. would be encountered bringing a car, trailer, spares and gas from the U.S. to Canada ?? What have other forum members experienced, was it easy or a nightmare of inspections and customs searches ?? Is any special paperwork required ? I would expect Canada to not be a problem, you don't ever want to try to bring a car, etc to Mexico.

Last edited by CHJ In Virginia; 09-13-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mark! George and I attended Calabogie with 3balls and it was a great time! Saturday was really wet, no track records that day. But Sunday was sunny and dry, and we had the whole track to ourselves. 'Bogie is a fun track, lots of elevation changes, and fairly long straights. Fastest track I've been to so far.
Getting there from Detroit wasn't so bad either. Going into Canada was fairly quick, and we had no hassles about the car and extra gear. Just answer the border guards' painfully obvious questions, and you'll be okay. A passport is the easiest ID to have, of course. No follow-on stupidity with a passport.
I for one won't make Mosport this season; I'm out of pocket for the next two weeks anyways. Take lots of video for the rest of us!

Jamie
Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, you should have no issues at all coming up. Just let the border agents know you are going to a track day at Mosport and will be returning in a couple days. When we take our cars from Canada to the States there are no issues at all. If an enclosed trailer they may ask you to open it so they can see the car but they dont really do a full inspection. Theyve never stopped and searched any of us. Just bring your passport and title to the car (just in case).

There are a bunch of us up here that would love to host you at one of the best and fastest tracks in North America. There are actually a couple USclubs that already run days at Mosport, I think PCA, the BMW Club and think Pheonix CMR comes up as well.

Jamie you would LOVE the speed and elevation changes of this track
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 AM
imp zog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
Hey guys, you should have no issues at all coming up. Just let the border agents know you are going to a track day at Mosport and will be returning in a couple days.
Just be sure that you do not call it "racing" or anything that might imply that there are prizes involved; that's when the Customs folks will be looking for taxes on any winnings. Call it "lapping" or a "school" and you shouldn't have any issues. We do the opposite crossing to go to Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen and the only time that an eyebrow was ever raised was when I mistakenly called it racing, and only after I assured them that there were no prizes involved did they pass me through. Usually, the younger border guys just want to see the car and then ask me how fast I can get it going!

Also, make sure you have ownership paperwork for all of your vehicles (car, tow vehicle, and trailer), and receipts for any fuel and new-looking spare parts and tires is always good to prove that you aren't trying to "smuggle" them across the border.

Generally the Fort Erie crossing in Buffalo is the least busy of the three Niagara region crossings from what we've seen.

Get notified of new replies

To Mosport Track Day

Quick Reply: Mosport Track Day