Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake ducts/SKF bearings on the C4 are done...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Brake ducts/SKF bearings on the C4 are done...

I finally got a chance to get the front end together. I installed the SKF F-body wheel bearings, Quantum Motorsports spindle ducts, and fabricated intake ducts for the turn signals. I had a hard time deciding where to put the intake for the ducts and finally decided on the side. I wanted to keep the front turn signals in place so I could stand at least a small chance of making it to a local cruise in without a ticket and I really didn't want to cut up the Greenwood parts on the front. I think it is about an 8/10 solution, but it is better than it was. They actually have a pretty decent size cross section from the front. The vents on the hood draw a LOT of air right past the spindle as well so hopefully the combination of the 2 will get it done. I have never had a bit of trouble with brake heat, but figured I might as well go for it all when I had it apart to install the Wilwoods and bearings. Best part is that if it starts giving me problems I can think of something else and try again. The other part of the job was new wheel bearings. The F-Body SKF fit like a champ. No drilling required to install, just put the bolts in from the rear. Hopefully SKF will keep to their reputation and they will actually hold up.

I finished up in the rain in my complex parking lot. I sure wish I had the garages and equipment that some of you guys do.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:23 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

That looks nice! Let us know how the new brake set up works. Very curious about the pedal travel.

Steve
Old 09-07-2009, 06:31 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
That looks nice! Let us know how the new brake set up works. Very curious about the pedal travel.

Steve

I can't speak for on the track yet, but I have driven around town quite a bit just to feel it out. Compared to the J55, the travel is a little farther to the point where braking starts, but once it starts the travel is very short to "full brake." It is more on/off than the J55 if that makes any sense.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW Your bearing problems will most likely be back soon. The offset of the wheels on your car are putting a tremendous strain on your wheel bearings. If the car didn't have flared fenders you could see just how far the wheels are sticking out. Combine this with the heat & strain of tracking a car & wheel bearing problems are guaranteed.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking your car. I know the car & 2 of the previous owners. It is a beautiful & FAST car.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carolina C4 Racer
FWIW Your bearing problems will most likely be back soon. The offset of the wheels on your car are putting a tremendous strain on your wheel bearings. If the car didn't have flared fenders you could see just how far the wheels are sticking out. Combine this with the heat & strain of tracking a car & wheel bearing problems are guaranteed.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking your car. I know the car & 2 of the previous owners. It is a beautiful & FAST car.
I don't take it as a knock at all... I have actually made it through 2 weekends myself and after talking with Jeff, he NEVER changed the bearings on it. They only have a very little bit of play in them as it is and could probably go a little bit longer. The flanges are in great shape as well. They are actually good enough that the ones that just came out are my new emergency spares. If I get that same life out of these I'll be perfectly happy.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by redls1gto
I can't speak for on the track yet, but I have driven around town quite a bit just to feel it out. Compared to the J55, the travel is a little farther to the point where braking starts, but once it starts the travel is very short to "full brake." It is more on/off than the J55 if that makes any sense.

Sounds like they need a little more volume on the master cylinder.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Looks good! I was thinking of using the marker lights for my cooling ducts too.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake ducts/SKF bearings on the C4 are done...

Quick Reply: Brake ducts/SKF bearings on the C4 are done...