Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Those Needing C5/C6 Race Seats in CT Area

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Default To Those Needing C5/C6 Race Seats in CT Area

As many of you are aware we have designed a manual bracket/slider combination to direct bolt-in aftermarket seats in C5/C6 Corvettes. It retains the stock seat belt buckle and/or a 4, 5 or 6 point harness. It has enough height in the front to clear the active handling control sensor on the floor of some models.

We are beginning to test fit various seats and record dimensions so we can set up the bracket for different seat models. Because our bracket has slotted holes and the side mounts have slotted holes we have quite a bit of variance in width seats we can accommodate, as long as the seat fits in the vehicle. We will receive a OMP RS model seat this week and start from there. Anyone within driving distance of SE CT. is welcome to let me know if they are interested in a particular seat with our bracket/sliders and I will look into it for you.

OMP is very big in Europe (an Italian company like Sparco) with comparable quality and often less expensive. The RS model is FIA approved at $549 and is about 1/2" narrower in the shoulders than the narrowest Sparco EVO model I believe for easier installation and about 1lb lighter.

The RS-PT model below is $699 with head restraints but I haven't seen how narrow it is in yet.

The HTE model starts at $879 and has an optional Air-Flow system available.

Our brackets can also be used with Sparco, Cobra and other seats as well. So again, if your in the SE CT. area let me know what your looking for and I'll see what we can do.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:43 PM
lemans
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you do installations?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:58 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lemans
Do you do installations?
Not generally, but we have test fitted seats in some local C5's and had them purchased. I don't mind getting a seat set up on the brackets for a C6 installation but would prefer the customer handled any electrical components and issues needed due to the airbag removal liability. There are some fixes out there but I've heard there were some wiring changes during the C6 years and the plug-in below doesn't match up to all years. I will look around for a tuning shop that will do these installations.

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...roducts_id=198
Old 09-08-2009, 03:20 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arizen
As many of you are aware we have designed a manual bracket/slider combination to direct bolt-in aftermarket seats in C5/C6 Corvettes. It retains the stock seat belt buckle and/or a 4, 5 or 6 point harness. It has enough height in the front to clear the active handling control sensor on the floor of some models.

We are beginning to test fit various seats and record dimensions so we can set up the bracket for different seat models. Because our bracket has slotted holes and the side mounts have slotted holes we have quite a bit of variance in width seats we can accommodate, as long as the seat fits in the vehicle. We will receive a OMP RS model seat this week and start from there. Anyone within driving distance of SE CT. is welcome to let me know if they are interested in a particular seat with our bracket/sliders and I will look into it for you.

OMP is very big in Europe (an Italian company like Sparco) with comparable quality and often less expensive. The RS model is FIA approved at $549 and is about 1/2" narrower in the shoulders than the narrowest Sparco EVO model I believe for easier installation and about 1lb lighter.

The RS-PT model below is $699 with head restraints but I haven't seen how narrow it is in yet.

The HTE model starts at $879 and has an optional Air-Flow system available.

Our brackets can also be used with Sparco, Cobra and other seats as well. So again, if your in the SE CT. area let me know what your looking for and I'll see what we can do.
What seats will fit the C6 with the windows rolled up and not hit the glass?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C6RAPTOR
What seats will fit the C6 with the windows rolled up and not hit the glass?
They should without issue but I will confirm the dimensions on the spec sheets as we try different models.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

We got the OMP RS seat in today and set it up on our brackets and sliders. I'm a 38" waist and fit comfortably in this model. It is a full 15" between the plastic pieces for the lap belt openings. The seat we received weighed in at 17lbs. If anyone is interested in this seat or another combination setup let me know.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

will this manual slider work with the brey krause set up? if not.. why? can the hard bar extender bolts be used to offset? or jsut get a new set up?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Zenak
will this manual slider work with the brey krause set up? if not.. why? can the hard bar extender bolts be used to offset? or jsut get a new set up?
On a C6 yes; on a C5 no. The Brey Krause C5 bar has struts that come down and mount to the floor at the rear seat mounting holes. The mounts we built into our bracket for the harness lap belts interfere with the struts. If someone was using a Brey Krause bar and didn't mind cutting off the harness mount locations with a die grinder or similar tool I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

So the ones in the rear are for the lap belt, and the ones underneath are for the sub belt in a 6pt?

On a C6 yes; on a C5 no. The Brey Krause C5 bar has struts that come down and mount to the floor at the rear seat mounting holes. The mounts we built into our bracket for the harness lap belts interfere with the struts. If someone was using a Brey Krause bar and didn't mind cutting off the harness mount locations with a die grinder or similar tool I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Zenak
So the ones in the rear are for the lap belt, and the ones underneath are for the sub belt in a 6pt?
Correct. We have found that on some seats where the butt section dips down below the side profile (like the seat below) it is better to use bolt-in sub belts because the eye bolts for the clip-in belts interfere with sliding the seat forward.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They should without issue but I will confirm the dimensions on the spec sheets as we try different models.
It looks like you have done your homework.
What have you fit into a C6 in the last year since we talked.
The RS PT seat looks like a real nice race seat.

Let me know
gary@grbowler.com
Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I currently run 17 inch Ultrashield seats. The seat OMP RS with the 15 inch width at the lap belt holes would be too small. What other types of seats can provide widths as wide as an Ultrashield or Kirkey seat? Most of the ones I have looked at spec waist size and give no indication of how wide they are across the hips.

Bill
Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I currently run 17 inch Ultrashield seats. The seat OMP RS with the 15 inch width at the lap belt holes would be too small. What other types of seats can provide widths as wide as an Ultrashield or Kirkey seat? Most of the ones I have looked at spec waist size and give no indication of how wide they are across the hips.

Bill
Bill,

I am not aware of any fiberglass seat that would have the width you indicate would be desired at the hips and still would fit in the C5 or C6. Fiberglass shells have a larger lip around the edge which is needed for strength and removal from the mold. There is also the addional width of the foam and cover. Aluminum seats have the most internal width, just not great cosmetics.

For those that need more room in the hip area but a more aggressive back than stock with harness cutouts, the option below we are finishing up may work out for most.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...c5-and-c6.html

Mark
Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the cost for the bracket and will they work with a Corbeau seat?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
What's the cost for the bracket and will they work with a Corbeau seat?
We would need information on the Corbeau seat to know. What model? Is it a side mounted seat or bottom or both?
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Looking at the Corbeau FX1 Pro
http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixe...seats/fx1_pro/

and possibly the Recaro Pole Position
http://www.recaro.com/us/product-are...ition-fia.html

I see the Recaro & OMP is FIA approved but dont think the Corbeau is. What's that mean exactly?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Looking at the Corbeau FX1 Pro
http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixe...seats/fx1_pro/

and possibly the Recaro Pole Position
http://www.recaro.com/us/product-are...ition-fia.html

I see the Recaro & OMP is FIA approved but dont think the Corbeau is. What's that mean exactly?
The FIA sets safety standards on certain automotive products used in motorsports. Having a seat that meets FIA standards is not mandated for most occasional track day users. Once a car is capable of certain speeds or used in more serious race classifications products like FIA approved seats and SFI (another safety rating organization) approved racing harnesses may be required. By the time many people need these items a roll cage may also be required.

Get notified of new replies

To To Those Needing C5/C6 Race Seats in CT Area

Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM
kpctoy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I met Mark on Saturday to discuss seating options for my 04 Z. He was very accomidating, meeting me late in the afternoon Saturday and was very helpful.

He showed me a few seats as I'm 5'7 and 220#'s so comfort and fit is important. He had a few examples setup on rails and we discussed and he help make some recommendations for me.

Point being, Mark's a standup guy and you shouldn't hesitate to do business with him.

Thanks again Mark!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have anything setup for Cobra seats?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kpctoy
I met Mark on Saturday to discuss seating options for my 04 Z. He was very accomidating, meeting me late in the afternoon Saturday and was very helpful.

He showed me a few seats as I'm 5'7 and 220#'s so comfort and fit is important. He had a few examples setup on rails and we discussed and he help make some recommendations for me.

Point being, Mark's a standup guy and you shouldn't hesitate to do business with him.

Thanks again Mark!
Your welcome. It was my pleasure. Let me know how the set-up you choose works out.

Quick Reply: To Those Needing C5/C6 Race Seats in CT Area