Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to track events, do you run with windows closed or open?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 PM
mannygmt2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to track events, do you run with windows closed or open?

Hi all,
so far I did two track events with my C5Z06. I ran the car with the windows down, but when you are hitting 120mph+ on the straights, there is a lot of wind comming inside the car. WHen I ran with the windows closed, I felt more "comfortable". Then again, it gets hot in there.

Is one supposed to run the ventilation system on (AC off) with heat on full blast and windows open, or can i run with the windows closed, and ventilation full blast set to the "coldest" temperature w/o AC?

thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windows must be fully open. Even in the rain. If the worst happens and you are unable to move, the safety workers don't want to have to start breaking glass to get you out of the car.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't think you car race with the windows up. A friend of mine races his Z06 with the A/C on and his windows down. It gets a bit warm here in SoCal. It was warm in Hawaii when I tracked my car there but I never used the A/C.

San
Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

windows down. less glass to fly around in case of incident, easier to get to the driver.

AC will not do you much good, but if you point the outlets at your neck area it will help a little.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:58 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

All events I've been to require that the windows are open.

All, that is, except for the Daytona HPDE run by Audi last Dec.

In 2007 we had to have the windows open for the event.

However in Dec 2008 you could run with them open or closed - your choice. We were told the rescue personnel said they wouldn't have any problem getting into a car with the windows closed.

I ran with the windows closed and it was very nice when running in excess of 150 mph.

BTW, instead of sticking an arm out the window at 140 and driving around the bumpy banking with one hand on the wheel and the other sticking over top the car to signal a point-by, we used the turn signal to authorize a pass, so you didn't need the window open.

I think you can see the window is closed in the picture below.

Butt.....that's the only event I know of that approves closed windows.

Come to the event this Dec 4-5-6 and you'll probably be able to drive with the windows closed!

Bob

Old 09-08-2009, 11:47 PM
sundiego
Instructor

A/C can drip water when used on the track. not a nice gift for the car behind you.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

I get the windows down thing but at that point what are the risks of running without arm restraints... ?

(Assuming not everyone has Gary's trick window netting. http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=87 )

Last edited by USAsOnlyWay; 09-09-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Almost everyone has a "Windows Down" rule. It was a little amusing when Preston Henn and his Bugatti were told they couldn't run at Sebring. He was black flagged because on the Bugatti the windows automatically go up a set mph. Not even the Bugatti engineer could over ride the computer system. Preston being the gentleman he is just took his new Bugatti home.

Richard Newton
Old 09-09-2009, 06:55 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
I get the windows down thing but at that point what are the risks of running without arm restraints... ?

(Assuming not everyone has Gary's trick window netting. http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=87 )
Keep your hands on the wheel and you won't have any trouble keeping your arms from flying out the window.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Think it is really only the vipers that need to run with the heat on full to help cool then engine.

Only times used the ac was sitting in the hot pits waiting to go out. once we rolled the ac was turned off and windows down.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
Windows must be fully open. Even in the rain. If the worst happens and you are unable to move, the safety workers don't want to have to start breaking glass to get you out of the car.
A favorite comment at the drivers meeting "You must run with both windows down so the rescue workers can drag your lifeless body from the car"
Old 09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

Speaking of this (and since the question was answered well) is there any way to reduce the drag by having the windows down?

I think that openings aren't allowed for race cars into the cabin? Because of fire issues? What about for HPDE cars?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would much prefer them closed, less crap coming in from cars around you if they get off course or worse if you do in a bad way, even just the dirt it is mess to clean up later

I have been hit in the side of the head by rubber chunks from a car in front not even off the track and it has hurt a couple of times, better to let the window take the blow in my opinion

( I have also ran some 30 minute sessions in 100+ degree heat with my heater on full blast to keep the engine alive, different car though)
Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Most local clubs require windows down. Their claim is that corner workers won't have trouble getting you out if they are down. I have seen a few crashes in 20 years,and the side windows are first to blow out in a crash.

The actual incident that precipitated this rule (as well as long sleeves) for Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs happened in mid 1990's.

A friend driving his RX-7 twin turbo went off, after the right front rotor shed a pie shaped chunk in the braking zone at the end of a long straight at Blackhawk. The wheel locked and then removed itself leaving the 3 wheeled car off track sideways at 100 MPH plus or minus. Somehow the car ended up getting airborne while traveling backwards and landed hard tail first. The first impact may have been on one of the front corners as he hit an abandoned concrete corner worker bunker and displaced it.

He had the windows up for better aero and was wearing a tee shirt at the time. Somehow the air bag deployed shortly after the side glass came into the interior, and my friend got glass blasted into his face and arms by the explosive force of the air bag going off.

He severed an artery in his arm, which the EMT corner worker got stopped in short order. His face looked like he took a shotgun blast as he was wearing an open face helmet. After a few weeks his body rejected all of the embedded glass particles and he recovered nicely.

1. I run windows down unless it is raining. If it rains, I park it. Why get the interior full of wet brake dust and take a chance on wrecking the car for a cheap trophy.
2. I do run windows up at Road America as it does reduce drag. (don't ask don't tell) For speeds up to 100, I don't think it matters, so i comply with club requests.
3. I wear long sleeves, because it is the rules. I don't believe that a thin long sleeve shirt would have changed the outcome for my friend. A Kevlar shirt or multi-layer suit... maybe.
4. A full face helmet with a visor down would have saved him a lot of grief. I run visor down to prevent crap from getting into my contacts.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Strange as it sounds, Spring Mountain lets students drive windows up all three days, and only requires helmets on the open lapping day, and maybe a few other times.

It makes it more comfortable with the A/C on, and you can hear the two way radio better, but I have wondered about the safety issue.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BEZ06
All events I've been to require that the windows are open.

All, that is, except for the Daytona HPDE run by Audi last Dec.

BTW, instead of sticking an arm out the window at 140 and driving around the bumpy banking with one hand on the wheel and the other sticking over top the car to signal a point-by, we used the turn signal to authorize a pass, so you didn't need the window open.
That seems like a very smart and good method, and I agree, in an accident, if the safety workers just break the darn windows no biggie, the cars probably pretty toast at that point anyway.

Plus in a spin with the windows open, lots of dirt and grass in the car!! (luckily I have no first hand experience with that, yet...)

I'm getting the urge to take a run down and try Daytona some time, that's got to be added to the bucket list!

-Dan
Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
Keep your hands on the wheel and you won't have any trouble keeping your arms from flying out the window.
If you keep your hands on the wheel and hit a wall you can break your wrist, thumbs, or arms. Ever see when pros know they are going to hit the let go of the wheel. You should also try to drve thumbs out of the wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To new to track events, do you run with windows closed or open?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The A/C shuts off at WOT.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

ALMS cars like Lou's have to run with the windows up because they're required to have a/c. Interesting.

Richard
Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Windows down were required at VIR since we did point bys. My instructor had me run the AC full blast the entire run. The compressor automatically shuts off at high RPMS anyway. When it is over 90 degrees in the car, the AC really helped even with the windows down.

Quick Reply: new to track events, do you run with windows closed or open?