Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Seats - Advice Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Racing Seats - Advice Wanted

I have mod fever again and am starting to think about acting on some advice from the people who installed my welded-in roll bar, from those who installed my engine, and from those racers/HPDE-ers who have already gone this route: changing out my stock sport buckets for some racing seats.

As a recreational HPDE type of guy, I'm not looking for a seat that's the end all and be all of applicability for track use. (Cost is also a factor.) It would be great if the seat is both comfortable for daily use or road trips and purposeful enough for track use. As for the passenger side of things, I fortunately or unfortunately (depending on viewpoint) hardly ever have someone sitting there. So, if I can get away with just getting a driver's seat for track days, all the better.

Construction-wise, I'd want plenty of side/bolster support and a designed sub-belt pass through slot. I'm not sure if these stats would have any bearing, but I'm around 6'1" and weigh about 215-220lbs.

So...any recommendations for a brand and model of seat to consider?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the Cobra Suzuka...and I think it was about $550 or so. Very supportive...very comfortable. I'm 6' 3", 195 ...so you may have to get the GT (wider) version. It's definitely worth it though if you plan on doing more track events!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:02 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Corbeau FX1 Pros. They have great lateral support and when Im harnessed in, my body doesnt move at all. The plus side is that the seat sides arent super high so when I sit in the seat and use my stock 3 pt belt, the belt sits ON my hips and legs so it is still snug and holds me in.

If you use a seat with higher seat sides and want to use your 3pt belt the belt actually rests on the top of the supports and dont touch your legs. Not very safe as the belts are not snug on you.

Im 6'1, 200lbs 34" waist and they fit great... above that and it could get snug..

Old 09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

a sparco evo 2 or 2 plus might be worth looking at.....although Im not sure if they fit in a C5 or not.....anybody know ?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
worldsaway
Racer

Racing seats are difficult to get in and out of. I've got corbeau's, but I think if they're made to hold you in when you're pulling over 1g latterally they aren't going to be comfortably padded. But when you're on the track you'll be glad you have them. If you are doing HPDE's you might want the same safety level for you as your instructor.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

My advise is to find a store where you can try them out - or sit in other cars at the track.

I recently installed Cobra Imola S GT, similar to Suzuka but in a side to side comparison I found that Imola had a little large angle between seat and back rest and a much lower leg support- both Kevlar.
- The lower leg support is a trade off for optimal track seating vs getting in/out of the car.
- The non-GT (Suzuka and Imola) was to tight for my hips and I'm not wide - 33" waist
- Being a little more open makes it OKish for street.
- Great improvement over the stock seat for lateral control and feeling the car. (With stock seats my LG Coilovers felt mushy, now its a go-kart)

I decided I wanted a slider for the drivers side and installed Pfadt's seat brackets w slider. Adds about 3/4" in height and my helmet is very close to the roof - I'm 5'11 with short legs. Thought I would be OK, but I sit higher than in the stock seat.
- So I'm going to take out the 40mm seat pad (velcro) and try with a 20mm one.
- Plan B is to loose the slider.
- Plan C is to try another mount for more tilt, but I don't think this is necessary. I'm using the highest mounting hole up front and the lowest in the rear - and have to washers underneath the front mount.
Loosing the slider should allow me to add another front hole.

Note1: I gained tilt and seat height be making sure the carpet wasn't stuck underneath anywhere.
Note2: Stock belt receiver isn't really movable from the stock seat - I looked at doing it and it would be hard to find room for the re-tractor. Ended up getting a new one that I snap in to the harness eyelets. Imola's side are low enough to grab your hips, but I threaded the stock belt through the hole on one side.

Will post photos as I find my camera cable

Another alternative for street/hpde is Corbeau A4s.

/Nik
Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I really like the Cobra Suzuka...and I think it was about $550 or so. Very supportive...very comfortable. I'm 6' 3", 195 ...so you may have to get the GT (wider) version. It's definitely worth it though if you plan on doing more track events!!!

I got the Cobra Suzuka because it fit me better. I'm 6'2" 215# and fits good. Other seats seemed too short - the holes for the shoulder belts were too low.

Friends told me to get a race seat as soon as possible. I was running 6-point harnesses and regular seat. I was still bracing myselft with my knees against the console and the door (speaker). When wearing shorts I swear I rubbed the hair off my leg on that speaker grill).

Got the race seat and haven't had to brace myself since.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wtknght1

I have the Suzuka GT 6' 265. Snug but comfortable and my wife and I drove from Allentown to Carlisle (2hrs) and back plus just tooling around while we were there. She wasn't pleased with the harness (oh well) but no complaints about the seat.

I just transitioned from stock seats and as everyone told me (and you've probably heard the same) it's a huge difference in car control not to mention not requring as much effort just to stay in the seat.

I think the full set was ~ 850 installed by Phoenix Perf.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:24 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seats are like shoes in that you have to try them on for size before you by. What fits great for one person of the same size might be uncomfortable for another.

I only sat in about 10 different seats before I made my choice of caravaggio, they are a little more then most seats but they fit me like a glove and have all the features I was looking for.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
a sparco evo 2 or 2 plus might be worth looking at.....although Im not sure if they fit in a C5 or not.....anybody know ?
how about the Evo 2's ?...anyone fitted them in a c5Z ? Did they go in without too much trouble and..how they working for you ?

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 09-09-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have owned and street driven/tracked a few and my favorite, at least for my personal physic are Racetech, I have driven 300+ miles without stopping and never even thought about comfort, I own three now

Rick
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
how about the Evo 2's ?...anyone fitted them in a c5Z ? Did they go in without too much trouble and..how they working for you ?
I put the Evo 2 in my C5Z several months back and like it alot. I'm 5-11/220 and it fits nicely. I was concerned about comfort driving to and from the track but it has turned out to be a non-issue. In fact, the stock seat has not been back in since I got the Sparco. I used the Pfadt seat mount and the Sparco slider, but the slider was a waste. The complete interior is still in the car and the fit in the car is tight. The seat fits fine but the slider is useless. When I try to use the slider the seat binds on the interior rocker trim and stock seatbelt roller housing. If you can, just use a stationary seat mount. There's plenty of headroom also. Entry and exit are more difficult than stock but not much of a PITA.

I also have a Brey-Krause harness bar and had to trim the end of the drivers side support bar to get it over the seat stud in the floor because of the extra thickness of the mount and slider.

Good luck.

Bob
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
I just transitioned from stock seats and as everyone told me (and you've probably heard the same) it's a huge difference in car control not to mention not requring as much effort just to stay in the seat.
2 secs/lap when you don't have to drive it from the passenger seat, then the trunk area, then from inside the "bose" speaker grill, etc
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...n-ct-area.html
Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotta recommend the Ultrashield Pros:
http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=7

I have an older version of the above with Hardbar rails and belt anchors, and I'm VERY happy with their performance in HPDEs. Excellent lateral support. Very comfortable for 2-3 hour drives. The price is also nice

They are not easy to get in and out of for DD; but, for the week around a track event, or even for the summer, they're fine.

I've added some padding to fine tune the seating position:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...roupID=BACKPAD
Old 09-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by linutux
I've gotta recommend the Ultrashield Pros:
http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=7

I have an older version of the above with Hardbar rails and belt anchors, and I'm VERY happy with their performance in HPDEs. Excellent lateral support. Very comfortable for 2-3 hour drives. The price is also nice

They are not easy to get in and out of for DD; but, for the week around a track event, or even for the summer, they're fine.

I've added some padding to fine tune the seating position:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...roupID=BACKPAD
This is what I have and makes for a very comfortable HPDE. I don't get tired straining to keep in the seat by gripping the wheel and pushing hard on the dead pedal. I have a hemorrhoid pad for long drives that is quite comfortable. Mine is mounted close to the floor so that my helmet clears the roof.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:56 AM
MYRX
Instructor

I have the Sparco EVO 2+. They fit me pretty well, 5'-11" @ 205lbs. The fit into the C5 was very tight. If I did it over again, I would use the standard Sparco Evo. I am not sure I really needed the wider seat, (plus I have lost weight) The Sparco is great at the track, but if possible sit in some seats first before purchasing. You will enjoy the track more with a race seat and 6 point harness.

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Seats - Advice Wanted

Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 for ultrashield.

Very very comfortable. But I would not drive too far for non track use.

With the ultrashield bolted to Hard bar rails bolted to the floor and t1 suspension, rocks would be softer.

But in the seat and on the track, you finally realize how much energy was used just to hold your body in place, when you no longer have to do so. Concentrate on driving

However, i am looking at changing to the Racetech or Sparco with the helmet halo
Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 AM
geerookie
Drifting

I have Cobra seats on both sides. I run the Suzuka on the drivers side and the Imola on the passenger side. I use Hardbar mounts. The Imola is easier in and out as the sides are lower but the lateral support of the Suzuka is fantastic.
I drive to all tracks and Watkins Glen is a 4 1/2 hour trip. I do that without stopping. When I get there all is good, just need a strech, mainly because you can't move much. Very comfortable. I have done a 9 hour drive from my house to Cincinnati, OH twice with no problems. I find the seat comfortable on long trips. The biggest thing is getting in and out but with a little practice you can look like you know what you are doing:o
Old 09-10-2009, 09:04 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drivinhard
2 secs/lap when you don't have to drive it from the passenger seat, then the trunk area, then from inside the "bose" speaker grill, etc

Yup! Amazing how much easier it his to H/T when you're not worried about using your legs to brace with! I had a more experienced instructor friend in my car last fall and he was trying to get me to change my hand position on the wheel, then he realized my hands were where they were to keep me from flying out the window.

Quick Reply: Racing Seats - Advice Wanted