Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Pics of these Cars(Morrison Race Cars)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Need Pics of these Cars(Morrison Race Cars)

I need some more pictures of these cars if anyone has any more of these. These are the Morrsion race cars from Ft. Stockton Texas 1990, the red one set the 24 hr record and the L98 set more records also.
Any pics you have would be greatly appreciated as I am documenting all of these cars for a book project.

Also, any close up of any of them would be very, very useful.

Thanks
Brett

Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett Richmond
Sorry I'm no help with pics... but out of curiosity, what is that where the license plate should be? Haven't seen something like that before.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

I am not completely sure myself, I have talked with Morrison briefly a few months ago but I need these for close up pictures of the graphics for both cars.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett Richmond
I am not completely sure myself, I have talked with Morrison briefly a few months ago but I need these for close up pictures of the graphics for both cars.
Graphics?!?!?! :

Do I see something really cool coming in the near future?

I remember you talking a while ago about the "Corvette Challenge" logos. I would certainly be interested in something like that or perhaps some other "historic" type of graphics for my C4 track car if it were available.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I had a publicity flyer of the ZR1 signed by all of the drivers except for one......I had had signed at the Daytona 24, since they all drove for either Morrison or Baker that year (93ish). Unfortunately, I think that stuff is long gone.

Those cars were well documented by the magazines of the day, but Corvette specific and Motor Trend/C&D etc. Somebody has to had back issues, or at least available via some library.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

I have alot of that stuff but the pictures are not very good, I am thinking about doing a recreation of the L98 car for myself, the real ZR-1 is in the and Chevy gave Morrison a 1989 Prototype Zr-1 to do up like the real car for press showing s and car shows. The L98 does still exist but has not been seen in probably 10 yrs. I have got a call into Chevy about the where about of this car since it has not been seen in 10 yrs, but that search takes time. I am looking for any good photos of these cars as the graphics are similar except for a few different stickers.

I have 2 projects for the near future, to find a challenge car and a white 89 6 speed to convert into the L98 car. The search is on for me but I will have the race cars that I want then and everything will be good.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redls1gto
Graphics?!?!?! :

Do I see something really cool coming in the near future?

I remember you talking a while ago about the "Corvette Challenge" logos. I would certainly be interested in something like that or perhaps some other "historic" type of graphics for my C4 track car if it were available.
What type of graphics are you looking for as I can get you all the challenge graphics that you want. Now for these 2 cars, they would have to be redone but it is doable if you are wanting something like these cars.
Let's talk, you can reach me by PM here or at corvettechallengeregistry@comcast.net
Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redls1gto
Sorry I'm no help with pics... but out of curiosity, what is that where the license plate should be? Haven't seen something like that before.
Look like overflow/puke tanks. Better you have the guy behind you spin in your stuff than spin in your own
Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you may need permission to copy the cars like the guy here who did the C5R & C6R cars from the General.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
you may need permission to copy the cars like the guy here who did the C5R & C6R cars from the General.
Cars were provided by GM to Morrsion, GM had no financial support involved in the record run at Ft Stockton. They provided alot of background support from engineers, help from EDS which was apart of GM. Only real sponsors were Goodyear and Morrsion himself.

There was a 2nd red ZR-1 ( which is a 1989 prototype)that was provided to Morrison for him to remake into the record car for photo ads for GM and Goodyear to use. Both of these cars still exist but location is somewhat unknown for the last 10 yrs or so since Morrison closed up his shop back in 99.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:07 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

If these pictures are for a book you've got two pretty big problems.

First, GM is going to charge you per image. Your bill will be in the neighborhood of $5,000. It could be a whole lot more. That's one reason I won't do any more Corvette books. GM just got too greedy.

Next, you're going to have issues with quality. JPEGs off the web have no quality. You need photos that are shot in RAW. You're going to have to do those on your own.

I applaud the idea. I spent the last five years trying to get MBI to do something like this. We just couldn't get the numbers to work. No one has ever sold more than few thousand books on Corvette racing.

Richard Newton
Old 09-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rfn026
If these pictures are for a book you've got two pretty big problems.

First, GM is going to charge you per image. Your bill will be in the neighborhood of $5,000. It could be a whole lot more. That's one reason I won't do any more Corvette books. GM just got too greedy.

Next, you're going to have issues with quality. JPEGs off the web have no quality. You need photos that are shot in RAW. You're going to have to do those on your own.

I applaud the idea. I spent the last five years trying to get MBI to do something like this. We just couldn't get the numbers to work. No one has ever sold more than few thousand books on Corvette racing.

Richard Newton
Richard, glad you chimed in on this, pictures are not for the book, just for me as I wanted better pics to recreate the L98 car. I have already received my License agreement from GM for my book, actually it was rather easy for what I wanted to do.I just can not use any stock GM photos or anything from their archives in the book. No big deal on my part because most of the stuff I have is from individuals anyway. And the best part is I didn't have to pay anything to GM for the license.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Here is a picture that i found that I took back in 92

Old 09-20-2009, 04:52 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm not mistaken the cars are still around as show pieces, you should be able to get all the photos you could want if you contact the owners who I'm sure would allow you use them for whatever....
Old 09-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
If I'm not mistaken the cars are still around as show pieces, you should be able to get all the photos you could want if you contact the owners who I'm sure would allow you use them for whatever....

That is just it, whereabouts of the cars right now are unknown. Rumor has it Morrison still has them and GM is checking to see if they have possession of these cars. The ZR-1 is a prototype ZR-1 press car, research I have done thru chevy shows it as Number 13 we believe. The L-98 car was provided by Chevy but right now there is not alot known about the origins of this car if it was a regular production car or what?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

In the late 90s one of the cars was on display in the Smithsonian. It was in the National Museum of American History. I saw it there several times.

Bill
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red one was at the National Corvette Museum just a few years ago....on loan from GM Sept. 07.
Contact Adam Boca at the NCM...he should be able to tell you who picked up the car in 07.....

Last edited by 73-84 IMSA Widebody; 09-21-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
In the late 90s one of the cars was on display in the Smithsonian. It was in the National Museum of American History. I saw it there several times.

Bill
The one in the Smithsonian is actually a Morrsion car also, but the one you are talking about is a Snake Skinner Car that was donated by Tommy as he sits on the board for The Smithsonian.

I hope to hear back today from the Heritage Collection about where these cars are. Finding this would be a great thing because I think they the L-98 car belongs in the museum, not in some collectors hands like some of the other cars as of late.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Pics of these Cars(Morrison Race Cars)

Quick Reply: Need Pics of these Cars(Morrison Race Cars)