Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Video] Some TT footage from MMP including that crazy TTS honda

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:51 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Default [Video] Some TT footage from MMP including that crazy TTS honda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVJx0CwE2Aw

The first car is that TTS Honda, then me, then Geff you TTS Champ, second clip is Mr Popp

I'll post more as I go though my videos
Old 09-21-2009, 01:00 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L98Terror
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVJx0CwE2Aw

The first car is that TTS Honda, then me, then Geff you TTS Champ, second clip is Mr Popp

I'll post more as I go though my videos
If my Electron Blue TTS car couldn't be there, I'm glad another one beat Tage's Honda. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 96solo
If my Electron Blue TTS car couldn't be there, I'm glad another one beat Tage's Honda. Thanks!
Question for you is he always that inconsistent? He almost played it perfectly he wasn't even on my radar until he nailed that 2:03 lap out of nowhere lucky for me I was able to counter, Geff on the other hand never gave me a chance, he did play it perfectly almost too perfect you should have seen him sweat it in line at the dyno. Again nice Job Geff he so deserved this win.

TTS was one of the hardest fought battles in TT in a while with first switching places many times between three different drivers and we had Ryan keeping us looking over our shoulders all weekend also, but the Corvette prevailed U-S-A
Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TEAM U-S-A is such a cool thing.........

Hopefully brings lots more patriotic blue cars next year...
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 AM
GAS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ken!!! CONGRATS ON YOUR TWO WINS! We took an extra week to explore Utah after NATS so this is the 1st chance I have had to respond. Robyn and Arron are extremely lucky to live out there. Wasn't MILLER a cool place!!!??? The facilities make my Road America and Mid Ohio tracks almost seem second rate (Still love em both though). Geff really wasn't "holding back". I really thought you had it won so the last session I just went out and tried to stay loose. ACTUALLY....you folks may not know but I had a "SECRET WEAPON"????? The RAFT gave Joel one of the coveted RAFT stickers to strategically place on the "Z" which RAFT virtually guaranteed was good for one second...actually turned out to be 1.1. I had it on for the Sunday morning session and when I didn't get it done then I thought you had it all sewed up for a 3rd win. Then I ran extra laps for "the show" the last session not knowing I had run a 2:02 on the 1st lap...came in on fumes and was 3 lbs. light...had to redyno...and came in 7 horse down. Man it couldn't have had much more drama for me! Thanks for your kind words. As always....it was a pleasure competing with you.

Geff
Old 09-21-2009, 10:07 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

do how much down were the N/A cars on the dyno? elevation is about a mile no?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by drivinhard
do how much down were the N/A cars on the dyno? elevation is about a mile no?
Nothing, actually I believe I was down on power early in the weekend because I started running 91 but once I mixed race gas in it seemed to come back. I dynoed within a few HP of back east.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:27 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by GAS
Hey Ken!!! CONGRATS ON YOUR TWO WINS! We took an extra week to explore Utah after NATS so this is the 1st chance I have had to respond. Robyn and Arron are extremely lucky to live out there. Wasn't MILLER a cool place!!!??? The facilities make my Road America and Mid Ohio tracks almost seem second rate (Still love em both though). Geff really wasn't "holding back". I really thought you had it won so the last session I just went out and tried to stay loose. ACTUALLY....you folks may not know but I had a "SECRET WEAPON"????? The RAFT gave Joel one of the coveted RAFT stickers to strategically place on the "Z" which RAFT virtually guaranteed was good for one second...actually turned out to be 1.1. I had it on for the Sunday morning session and when I didn't get it done then I thought you had it all sewed up for a 3rd win. Then I ran extra laps for "the show" the last session not knowing I had run a 2:02 on the 1st lap...came in on fumes and was 3 lbs. light...had to redyno...and came in 7 horse down. Man it couldn't have had much more drama for me! Thanks for your kind words. As always....it was a pleasure competing with you.

Geff
Geff,

You should have brought your other car also I'm sure you would have been right up front in both the STR2 & ST2 races it really would have been cool to be 1-2 in all three events & if Forbis was there 1-2-3 for the Blue Corvettes.

You going to Putnam?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:17 PM
GAS
Instructor

ABSOFRICKINLOOTLY!!!!!! Got to try to get a certain TTS track record back from a certain BLUE VETTE!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Cool video Ken!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by GAS
ABSOFRICKINLOOTLY!!!!!! Got to try to get a certain TTS track record back from a certain BLUE VETTE!!!!
Just don't drive off the end of the track again trying to do so
Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 PM
GAS
Instructor

Ahhh Ken....I had just about put that out of my memory!! Thanks for reminding me you heartless sonufagun. I have to drive on the edge if I have any hope of getting anywhere close to you.

GAS
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by GAS
Ahhh Ken....I had just about put that out of my memory!! Thanks for reminding me you heartless sonufagun. I have to drive on the edge if I have any hope of getting anywhere close to you.

GAS
As you know your safety is my #1 priority
Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Question for you is he always that inconsistent? He almost played it perfectly he wasn't even on my radar until he nailed that 2:03 lap out of nowhere lucky for me I was able to counter, Geff on the other hand never gave me a chance, he did play it perfectly almost too perfect you should have seen him sweat it in line at the dyno. Again nice Job Geff he so deserved this win.

TTS was one of the hardest fought battles in TT in a while with first switching places many times between three different drivers and we had Ryan keeping us looking over our shoulders all weekend also, but the Corvette prevailed U-S-A
Ken...

I warned you guys on a different thread to watchout for Tage Evanson's Honda.

<start> Watch out for Tage Evanson's nasty Honda TTS car! He does 1:05's at PIR! Very Fast!

D.J. Covert
2008 NASA-AZ TTS Champion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by 96solo; 09-12-2009 at 10:14 AM. <end>

I know Tage well as a co-driver of mine at the SCCA National Solos where he took my Corvette and almost won the tough Superstock class in changing rainy conditions, and no one in SS knew him then. He's a first rate autocrosser and now getting mentioned by many Rice Burner Tuner events.

I believe you that he sweated it at the dyno. Many Corvette racers here believe the car is illegal, but he does pass dyno. Being the owner and Director of NASA-AZ makes it hard to protest the car.

I did predict that he would win Nationals, get protested and then DSQed. I was wrong. Thanks again for taking it in a Corvette.

D.J. Covert
2008 NASA-Az TTS Champion
Realty Executives Corvette Z 06 #96

Last edited by 96solo; 09-21-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Videos like this make me wish I wasnt banned from driving DEs.

Looked like there were some nasty wings on some of the cars in that vid.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 96solo
Ken...

I warned you guys on a different thread to watchout for Tage Evanson's Honda.

<start> Watch out for Tage Evanson's nasty Honda TTS car! He does 1:05's at PIR! Very Fast!

D.J. Covert
2008 NASA-AZ TTS Champion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by 96solo; 09-12-2009 at 10:14 AM. <end>

I know Tage well as a co-driver of mine at the SCCA National Solos where he took my Corvette and almost won the tough Superstock class in changing rainy conditions, and no one in SS knew him then. He's a first rate autocrosser and now getting mentioned by many Rice Burner Tuner events.

I believe you that he sweated it at the dyno. Many Corvette racers here believe the car is illegal, but he does pass dyno. Being the owner and Director of NASA-AZ makes it hard to protest the car.

I did predict that he would win Nationals, get protested and then DSQed. I was wrong. Thanks again for taking it in a Corvette.

D.J. Covert
2008 NASA-Az TTS Champion
Realty Executives Corvette Z 06 #96
Yeah, Yeah I saw that but at the time he was way out of contention.

It was Geff that was sweating the dyno not Tage, from what i was told Tage never got weighted or Dynoed after his 2:03.

Why do people think the car is illegal? Is he pulling the corvettes on the straights or just because he has quick lap times? I'm not sure what his classification form states but let's assume he's 2500 # and is running a 245 tire his HP/lb should be similar to a Corvette & the one lap I followed him I really didn't notice hime pulling me on the straight but he ran a high 2:04 on that lap. There was nothing that jumped out at me that would make me think he was illegal except maybe the fact he laid down one quick lap and never came close again, now Geff and I kept getting faster as the week progressed also but neither of us regressed which would be indicative of someone learning a new track.

I would also think
Being the owner and Director of NASA-AZ makes it hard to protest the car
he would have to much at stake to risk running an illegal car. If his car was found grossly illegal he would set a horrible precedent.

I would have liked to see him weighted and Dynoed after he came off the track running a 2:03.0 like we were (I have a stack of Dyno sheets from Utah, BTW I've never dynoed over or missed weight at any NASA event, but am sure someday it will happen). But in Reality the fact that he was battling with the Corvettes was good for us, NASA is all about making things "Competitive" and we need other cars in the mix or the Corvette will get handicapped.

We had a hick up in 2008 but for 07 & 09 it's been Corvettes across the top of the podium in TT U-S-A & we intend to keep it that way.

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
Videos like this make me wish I wasnt banned from driving DEs.

Looked like there were some nasty wings on some of the cars in that vid.
There needs to be some sort of story there.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

The story is that the Army doesn't allow it since I'm in the middle of flight school. I neither have the time for DEs nor do I have the permission. There is a memo that you sign when you begin flight training with a list of things that are prohibited while at flight school... auto racing is definitely one of them just as my luck would go. I would test the waters, but they are looking for any and every excuse to kick people out of the program. I guess its kind of a trade off since I spend about 1.5hrs per day in a Bell 206 right now. I still miss the track, especially since Im so close to Road Atlanta and Barber.

About that Honda tho, at what price would it cost to make a car like that go as fast as it is? Im sure hes doing it to be a little different else we would start seeing a lot more of those kinds of cars around.

Last edited by WBHighwind; 09-22-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To [Video] Some TT footage from MMP including that crazy TTS honda

Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The story is that the Army doesn't allow it since I'm in the middle of flight school. I neither have the time for DEs nor do I have the permission. There is a memo that you sign when you begin flight training with a list of things that are prohibited while at flight school... auto racing is definitely one of them just as my luck would go. I would test the waters, but they are looking for any and every excuse to kick people out of the program. I guess its kind of a trade off since I spend about 1.5hrs per day in a Bell 206 right now. I still miss the track, especially since Im so close to Road Atlanta and Barber.

About that Honda tho, at what price would it cost to make a car like that go as fast as it is? Im sure hes doing it to be a little different else we would start seeing a lot more of those kinds of cars around.
You are correct and as you see the stakes continue to rise you will start to see purpose built machines. What was weird is that car was only able to run one lap then he had to shut it down. I guess I don't have to worry about him in ST2.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Yeah, Yeah I saw that but at the time he was way out of contention.

It was Geff that was sweating the dyno not Tage, from what i was told Tage never got weighted or Dynoed after his 2:03.

Why do people think the car is illegal? Is he pulling the corvettes on the straights or just because he has quick lap times? I'm not sure what his classification form states but let's assume he's 2500 # and is running a 245 tire his HP/lb should be similar to a Corvette & the one lap I followed him I really didn't notice hime pulling me on the straight but he ran a high 2:04 on that lap. There was nothing that jumped out at me that would make me think he was illegal except maybe the fact he laid down one quick lap and never came close again, now Geff and I kept getting faster as the week progressed also but neither of us regressed which would be indicative of someone learning a new track.

I would also think he would have to much at stake to risk running an illegal car. If his car was found grossly illegal he would set a horrible precedent.

I would have liked to see him weighted and Dynoed after he came off the track running a 2:03.0 like we were (I have a stack of Dyno sheets from Utah, BTW I've never dynoed over or missed weight at any NASA event, but am sure someday it will happen). But in Reality the fact that he was battling with the Corvettes was good for us, NASA is all about making things "Competitive" and we need other cars in the mix or the Corvette will get handicapped.

We had a hick up in 2008 but for 07 & 09 it's been Corvettes across the top of the podium in TT U-S-A & we intend to keep it that way.
It's not the fast times even though he is running close to our better TTU cars. At PIR out of turn 9, we are on the NASCAR oval for over half of the oval. One of our TTR Corvettes owned by Shirl Dickey's "Black Mamba" with 550 RWHP could only out pull Tage's Honda 1 car length down the main straight! He is a well seasoned instructor driver with many past records, He just couldn't believe this little car could hang with him with a 8.7 PTW. Many in ACR believe that too.

Interesting that he was never dynoed or weighed. He is generally not inconsistent driver. He's very talented and can get fast in any car. I've seen it many times.
Interesting how he was only fast one lap and that is what a 1.5 or 2 second difference from the rest? mmmm.

Last edited by 96solo; 09-23-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Thank you for your service!

Quick Reply: [Video] Some TT footage from MMP including that crazy TTS honda