Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SKF Hub Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Default SKF Hub Failure

I had an SKF hub fail in a few weeks. Did one auto cross, nothing that could even be called a "real auto cross" it was that loop at carlisle... and one track day at Pocono north. By the morning of the sceond day i could deinfitely feel it. And by the end of day 2.. yeah it was the hub. I was pissed off and shocked to see it fail so fast! Anyone know how to get a hold of the guys at SKF... I know its a disposible part like rotors or brake pads.. but come on! 1 track day on pocono of all tracks!

Gr.....

ANYONE ELSE HAVE ONE OF THESE FAIL PERSONALLY?

Video of wheel play in my driveway when I finally got time to clean up the brakes, whels, etc post weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsRXk7QZM5M

Update: best one on bottom of page 5 of this thread.
Gary @ Hardbar & SKF have been great! They are swapping it no charge.
To date no one has reported one failing personally. So im guessing it my chronic bad luck :-)

Last edited by Zenak; 09-25-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added youtube
Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

WOW!!!

thats the first MFG defect part I've heard of with SKF.

Anyone else hear of this??? Randy??

I've got (9) 30 miute sessions on mine with 6 HARD auto-x runs and 4K street miles...no problems.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

i replaced all 4 hubs, the other 3 are fine.. this one went bad quick.

I will repalce it again with an SKF and hope for better luck. Also going to do the ball joints and all the bushings while at it.

Sad huh. $$$$ over and over on this toy.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

ouch!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:05 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

are we talking OEM SKF type like at NAPA, or are these the HD, 7.2 trillion dollar SKF ones?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:07 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently replace just my LF, so I'll see how it compares to the stock hubs and report on it. The stock/GM racing hubs were lasting me about a year, which was about 7-8 races and the associated test days.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

We are talking the $380 / hub full on race hubs ones!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why do you have to eat that ... obviously a defective part.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:21 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
why do you have to eat that ... obviously a defective part.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow. Great customer service by HardBar USA!

I put an email in this morning about the part, they called me already and have a call into SKF. It will be replaced as a defective warranty exchange! Kudos to the crew at HardBar for being so agressive about making the problem right, and faster than I thought posible!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Gary's one of us.

He wouldn't leave you hanging.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Gary's one of us.

He wouldn't leave you hanging.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going out on SKF (front only) for the first time at VIR in a few days in the C4... we'll have to see how that goes.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zenak
Wow. Great customer service by HardBar USA!

I put an email in this morning about the part, they called me already and have a call into SKF. It will be replaced as a defective warranty exchange! Kudos to the crew at HardBar for being so agressive about making the problem right, and faster than I thought posible!

Very Cool! I was afraid that was what it was. Now I'm starting to worry about the mine as the vibration on mine came back on the way home.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
Very Cool! I was afraid that was what it was. Now I'm starting to worry about the mine as the vibration on mine came back on the way home.
Jim, remember how much play we had on them before my last session and I wasn't sure... on teh hiway home it felt like i had a warped rim it wobbled so bad. I ahd to keep the speeds down under 65 to avoid it felling like it would tear off! Bright side = no ticket!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds to me like the product is way over hyped or they have some kind of manufacturing / quality control issue.

I have a set of (4) of these on order from Pfadt. I'm a little concerned now that this product is no better than the factory hubs.

I think SKF needs to step up here and explain why these so called super wheel hubs are failing.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Sounds to me like the product is way over hyped or they have some kind of manufacturing / quality control issue.

I have a set of (4) of these on order from Pfadt. I'm a little concerned now that this product is no better than the factory hubs.

I think SKF needs to step up here and explain why these so called super wheel hubs are failing.
I would wait and pass judgement if we start hearing about this frequently. Right now this is the first I've heard of this happening and I know Phoenix Peformance highly recommends these over the stock hubs and over the GM race hubs. Sounds like Hardbar and SKF are doing the right thing and replacing the product which is likely better than you'd get elsewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To SKF Hub Failure

Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I'm just wondering how many other failures that are out there, that are not being reported here on the forum.

It's like crime, job, etc .... statistics, they are only as good as the information supplied.

I'm not passing judgment but I do wonder what quality control checks are done to insure the quality of their product offering.

When I was at Carlilse, I visited SKF's booth to check out these bearings and the spokes person stated that these bearings had a special lip and bearing design that would prevent the exact type of failure that Keith (Zenak) had.

So I'm very curious as what quality controls they have before dropping $1,600 on these bearings.

Lots of people recommended investing your money with Bernie Madoff and you see how that turned out.

As far as I'm concerned the after-market auto parts business is hit and miss. They do not have the stringent development programs or research dollars to spend developing products, like large businesses do.

I don't know about you, but most of the parts I buy that are after-market don't even come with installation instructions or specifications.

I'm tired of being a guinea pig (rat) for these guys to test out their products on me. I've learned the first guys into a new product usually end up getting burnt or buying the updated product once the kinks are worked out.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I'm tired of constantly wrenching on my car because the product I bought is not up to par. I don't mind spending the $$$ for quality products, but I'm tired of buying the next bad or inferior product that is later fixed and I'm out the $$$$.

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
I would wait and pass judgment if we start hearing about this frequently. Right now this is the first I've heard of this happening and I know Phoenix Performance highly recommends these over the stock hubs and over the GM race hubs. Sounds like Hardbar and SKF are doing the right thing and replacing the product which is likely better than you'd get elsewhere.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well if they are bad there are enough here running them and it will show up soon. Time will tell.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Is there a significant portion of Corvette racers out there that don't at least pass through this forum?

Quick Reply: SKF Hub Failure