Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone please help this C5 owner out

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Someone please help this C5 owner out

Before he completely butchers his car

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/380635.aspx

To All in the know (or the opinion thereof),

I am looking to alter my convertible Corvette to add safety, keep it cleaner (I'll explain), and to meet requirements to take it out on track days or to time trial the car. I have a 2003 Convertible Corvette that many of you have seen on course over the past several years. My hopes are, with Danny Popp's expertise, to put a Z06 top on my car and a legal roll bar (4 point). I know the update/backdate rules would allow it, as would rules providing for turning a sunroof equipped car into a solid roof. I tow this car behind a diesel pickup truck so the cloth top is filthy with soot. And to those of you that have seen this car this year you might have recognized body panel damage from a disconcerting off-track excursion I had this past March, further justification for the rollbar and hardtop.

My concern and question is this: I have a top from a 2004 Z06 with the B-pillar still in place but was cut off the original car with a sawzall (sp?). Since I'm putting in a rollbar, I was considering installing the top and not attempting the B-pillar installation. My concern is if using the update/backdate rule it would make sense that without the B-pillar this could be protestable. I can't find a rule allowing for the addition of a hard top otherwise. From a common sense perspective, it's not like I'll be saving weight because the rollbar will way more than makeup for the "savings" of not installing the B-pillar, and the rollbar itself would be providing all the safety feature otherwise provided by the B-pillar. Furthermore, street-prepared rules do allow for the removal of the convertible top and mechanism.

I'm just looking for an idea of how to proceed. Danny has the car in his shop right now, and we're ready to tear out the convertible mechanism and tonneau cover.

Your knowledge and advice is greatly appreciated,

Gregory Lloyd
77 ASP
2003 AE Convertible (Z06)
2008 VR Z06 Corvette
Old 09-21-2009, 12:30 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Danny is doing the work, I'd assume it's not a butcher job...
Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All will be OK.......we will not "hack" anything.....even if I install the 12lb. b-pillar.......
Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm.. I think I might know where you got the B pillar from..
Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Hmmm.. I think I might know where you got the B pillar from..

Maybe.........There are two around here now, the hardtop came with a b-pillar in it still glued in (because they are a PITA to remove ).

I could just leave it "bolt in" and not glued so that he can remove the hardtop and presto......it is legal without the b-pillar just put the tonneau door back in place....5 bolts and roof comes off.

Or he could just disappear from SCCA solo and start doing NASA TT with his suedo FRC.....

Roll bar > b-pillar.......
Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER

Roll bar > b-pillar.......
Yup... I fail to see how this is hacking up your car?

The absolute best way to build a cage in these cars is to hack out the B pillar and put the roll hoop right up on the roofskin. T1 guys can't due to rules, so its not done that often.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:00 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Yup... I fail to see how this is hacking up your car?

The absolute best way to build a cage in these cars is to hack out the B pillar and put the roll hoop right up on the roofskin. T1 guys can't due to rules, so its not done that often.
You need the "B" pillar to help keep the roof on, especially in an accident.

I converted a coupe to hardtop a few years back. He'll need a new upper tub and metal frame rail for bolting in the three rear brackets.

The front is held in place by two brackets. If he wants to go his current route, why not just buy a "hardtop" from smoothline.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajg1915

I converted a coupe to hardtop a few years back. He'll need a new upper tub and metal frame rail for bolting in the three rear brackets.

The front is held in place by two brackets. If he wants to go his current route, why not just buy a "hardtop" from smoothline.
You can fab up brackets to hold the hardtop on. This is for a racecar, how do you think WC or Lemans cars hold their roofs on? They have no B pilars.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope Dont have to change tub upper or metal cross piece... use rivnuts for brackets..
<---- That used to be a convertible.. now frc

Last edited by JVetthead; 09-21-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:39 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by wallyman424
You can fab up brackets to hold the hardtop on. This is for a racecar, how do you think WC or Lemans cars hold their roofs on? They have no B pilars.
Originally Posted by JVetthead
Nope Dont have to change tub upper or metal cross piece... use rivnuts for brackets..
<---- That used to be a convertible.. now frc
My reply was based on making sure the roof does not leak at the seams, especially in the rear tub area.

As long as you put in a full cage and add some metal where the hold down bolts are, you should be good to go.

I just like to do things the right way.

Before

During

After

Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Coupe to FRC conversion yes is more work.. Vert to FRC conversion allready has the correct tub and trunk lid setup.. allmost a bolt on.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Coupe to FRC conversion yes is more work.. Vert to FRC conversion allready has the correct tub and trunk lid setup.. allmost a bolt on.

It's a lot easier to go from a Hardtop to Convertible or vice versa. Accoring to GM the upper tub surrounds are different as is the placement of the speaker boxes.

All of the lower tub enclosures are the same. I spent a bunch of time researching all of the parts manuals, etc .... and I got a lot of help from Gene Culley.

I also did a stealth widebody kit from ACP at the same time. I used a combination of used and new parts to complete the job and I'm very happy with the results.

It's not for the faint at heart.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

All of the lower tub enclosures are the same.
good to know (make sense, never thought about it or measured)

so essentially to turn a coupe into a FRC you just need the UPPER rear tub (not the lower) and the hardtop/rear glass and FRC rear trunk.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by drivinhard
good to know (make sense, never thought about it or measured)

so essentially to turn a coupe into a FRC you just need the UPPER rear tub (not the lower) and the hardtop/rear glass and FRC rear trunk.
Yes that is correct along with new rear fenders.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:33 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any pics or write ups on what it took to do yours? I have a vert and also have access to a full Z roof. I have always thought it should be kinda bolt on but couldnt find anyone whos done it. Any info would be great.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:28 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GettReal
Do you have any pics or write ups on what it took to do yours? I have a vert and also have access to a full Z roof. I have always thought it should be kinda bolt on but couldnt find anyone whos done it. Any info would be great.
No I dont.. But I did this on my track car so did not worry about things like water tightness and speaker placement... Also these roofs are glued and bolted on and it is a bitch to remove off doner car with out destroying the top itself.
Also keep in mind the OE back glass for these are very expensive even used but not a problem if you go with lexan.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 AM
gtldvm
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Before he completely butchers his car

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/380635.aspx
Hi...I'm Greg...I'm a recovering "waxer"! sorry to hear you think I'm going to butcher the car. It is in the eye of the beholder and all that. The car is completely badass as it is, just need to delete the heavy ragtop, add some safety, and do it a lot cheaper than buying another car and swapping out all the parts and paying all that labor.

"Go fast or go home"

Get notified of new replies

To Someone please help this C5 owner out

Old 09-24-2009, 05:44 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Originally Posted by gtldvm
Hi...I'm Greg...I'm a recovering "waxer"!

"Go fast or go home"
Welcome to the world of "GO-FAST".
Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

wtf would he be worried about making it a coupe or hardtop from a convertible? Put a roll bar in it like I've done with my vert and be done with it.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:43 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by gtldvm
Hi...I'm Greg...I'm a recovering "waxer"! sorry to hear you think I'm going to butcher the car. It is in the eye of the beholder and all that. The car is completely badass as it is, just need to delete the heavy ragtop, add some safety, and do it a lot cheaper than buying another car and swapping out all the parts and paying all that labor.

"Go fast or go home"

Welcome aboard!

Just hoping to get you some good advice, sounds like your getting it.

Quick Reply: Someone please help this C5 owner out