Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plan on autocrossing with a 93 c4 what else do I have to worry about lasting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default plan on autocrossing with a 93 c4 what else do I have to worry about lasting?

Hi I building a 93 corvette, mostly a street car with a small amount racing in local autocross events. Maybe 4 or 5 times a year. I've done a lot of upgrading to the car but am worried about what I might have overlooked. One thing I'm worried about is bearings and hubs. After reading about them I plan on testing them with a dial indicator. I was wondering if I should just replace them maybe the fronts for sure. I understand the 94 F body ones are the better SKF type bearings and not too expensive. I'm not working now so I can't spring for the 400.00thicker hubs but had this idea of sending the new hubs out to get cryoed at a local company that does that. This might be a little better than my old ones. What do you think of this and anything else I have to worry about?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't replace the hubs until they are actually bad. Hubs for 4th gen f-bodies are certainly cheaper, but not any stronger. I know plenty of f-body guys who go through them quickly with big, sticky race tires.

You can make a micrometer to your current hubs, but unless they are really bad, I would just run them until they are bad. There isn't much risk of a bearing failing if there is just a little bit of play, and replacing them every time they get just a little loose can get very expensive very quickly if you're on race tires.

If you're on street tires, I doubt you will really wear them very quickly at all.

Also, make sure there is no debris stuck up in the radiator or between the radiator and AC condenser to ensure it doesn't run hot.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

For 4-5 events a year, stock hubs should work fine. IF the hubs don't show any indications of wear, then run them until they do need replacing.

I use Timken hubs in my 87 and they are holding up very well after 3 years of 6-8 a-x events per year and a couple track days each year. All on Hoosiers.

I would concentrate more on suspension components (shocks, sway bars and bushings) and tires given the number of events you will be attending.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My vote is that the C4's plastic power brake vacuum canister is prone
to faster deterioriation on engines equipped with headers. Primary
symptoms include hard pedal and/or vacuum hiss. Effective heat
shielding helps prolong canister life.

I recall that owners of cars powered with LT1/4 engines reported
power steering issues with hoses, hardlines and the pump. You
would need to research to determine whether these came up during
road racing/HPDE or also in AutoX. Solutions were aftermarket
hoses from DRM, construction of DIY support for the hard line
and pump modifications by TurnOne.

A bright, well-aimed low oil pressure warning light may provide an
early indication of when the car is working hard enough to begin
to require additional measures to help maintain oil pressure, such
as an oil accumulator.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no significant wear issues on my '87 EXCEPT TIRES! It's amazing how fast it eats a set of A6's. Ed
Old 09-25-2009, 03:31 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks I did a most of the things you guys listed. Tring to build something that will hold up and be competitive but I'm on a budget and have allready spent more than I should have on it. thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To plan on autocrossing with a 93 c4 what else do I have to worry about lasting?

Quick Reply: plan on autocrossing with a 93 c4 what else do I have to worry about lasting?