Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I going to regret running +14 offset on C5 suspension?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Derek 357i
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I going to regret running +14 offset on C5 suspension?

Quick background. I am building a lightweight square tube frame car with full c5 suspension and drivetrain. My inspiration car is the Panoz LMP-1, which like most other LeMans Prototypes is 2000mm (78.74") wide. To get to this width, pretty much all of the the wheel width I added, 3" per corner vs std C5, is to the outside.

This takes me along the offset progression of C5 std +58, C5 Z06 +54, C6 Z06 +40, to my car 17X11.5 +14. I understand there will be some additional kickback in the wheel, and more steering feel. I am going to be running low boosted power steering.

I would love to run a much higher offset to minimize the scrub radius, but to do this would mean scrapping the entire corvette front suspension with the exception of the knuckle assy. I am going to be bolting the alum cradle assys to the car front and rear so I will primarily have to concern myself with the upper control arm mounts.

The car will be primarily street driven with a few track days per year thrown in.

Here are my wheels:

Old 09-25-2009, 02:58 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't really answer your question, but expect more weight jacking as the wheel is turned compared to a wheel with more backspacing. It will loosen the car on turn in relatively speaking. It may also do some weird things to your aero if you plan on having any. When you setup your car keep an eye on the corner weights as you turn the wheel and you will see how much weight is moving around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I going to regret running +14 offset on C5 suspension?