Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill track times...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:06 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thunderhill track times...

In my most recent trackday at Thunderhill, I watched my in-car videos and tracked my times from the start/finish Flag, so keep in mind there is probably 1 second of potential variation.

My setup is a stock '09 Z06 running NT-05's (sticky streets but not R's).

When I wasn't in traffic I was consistently pulling 2:09 - 2:10 with 2 occasions where I ran 2:08.

After reviewing the video's I feel like I can shave at least 1/2 - 1 full second per corner (mainly braking later and throttle out sooner), which would drop my times to the low 2 minute mark and possibly 2:00 flat on non-R's.

How realistic is that??

What kind of times are you running at Thunderhill and what is your setup/mods??

Cheers
Old 09-26-2009, 02:30 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Very. Your car setup well and good tires with good driving is sub 2min at t-hill. T-5 is faster with the bypass vs. going over the top. I've been told 2-5 seconds. Never done a back to back. My car is well under 2 min there with way less power than yours.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Bahnzii
Racer

I forgot to add I ran with the cyclone, not the bypass.

Are you running R compounds??

What car are you running there??

My goal is to try to get down to low 2's or 2 flat on sticky street tires
Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My car is a '99 FRC. When I ran t-hill I was going over the top with a passenger so total weight was about 3600+lbs. Hoosier R compound. Bone stock motor and my own custom suspension setup. Car should now be a bit faster.
There are no real street tires that are sticky. The best dual purpose tire is probably a toyo RA1, but now I think you can only get the R888 which is similar. With as much hp as your car has your goal is realistic.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:55 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly Danny Pop did 1:52 in the Pfadt C5 at the 25 Hour Endurance Race last year. The third fastest lap for the entire field of 70+ cars (again my memory). There may be race data available to confirm.

Dean
Old 09-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

Thanks for the feedback...

Sounds like my goal of low 2:00's or 2:00 flat on street tires (180+ wear rating, non-runflat) in a bone stock C6 Z06 (no tweaks) seems do-able.

The time from Danny Pop in the Pfadt C5 sounds good. I assume though it had a full bevy of Aaron's suspension parts, etc... and some sticky Hoosiers
Old 09-27-2009, 01:18 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahnzii
When I wasn't in traffic I was consistently pulling 2:09 - 2:10 with 2 occasions where I ran 2:08.
FWIW, last time up in my '06 C6 non-Z I was turning consistent 2:07-2:08 on Toyo R888s with extremely warped front rotors that made every braking zone super long and very light to avoid shaking my fillings out. I'm not stock suspension or brakes, and that day the track seemed slow -- Turbo'd NSX that is normally blindingly fast on Hoosiers was complaining about lack of grip and turning 2:04s.

I expect somewhere around a 2:04 without any drama, and probably a 2:02 with a little effort. With some real effort a 2:00 is doable.

Watch T2... my oil pressure can drop in to the teens...
Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Sounds like my goal of low 2:00's or 2:00 flat on street tires (180+ wear rating, non-runflat) in a bone stock C6 Z06 (no tweaks) seems do-able.
It's do-able. I easily turn 2:02's in a 100% stock C6Z on GY runflats; fast lap should be 1:59ish depending on the weather.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Bahnzii
Racer

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
It's do-able. I easily turn 2:02's in a 100% stock C6Z on GY runflats; fast lap should be 1:59ish depending on the weather.
Now that's what I wanted to hear!!!

Any chance you have some in-car videos or even better some telemetry data?? Would love to see your gear selection in the corners, brake points and corner entry/exit speeds
Old 09-27-2009, 04:05 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance you have some in-car videos or even better some telemetry data?? Would love to see your gear selection in the corners, brake points and corner entry/exit speeds
Search for "Fun with data..." as a thread and you'll find my data acq of a 2:07 lap. My money says 3rd gear everywhere except the straights where he gets 4th. :-)
Old 09-27-2009, 04:52 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Sorry, I don't have either video or data. But honestly, when you're looking for multiple seconds it's not going to help you.

The gears are obvious. The only place I remember them being in question is whether turn 1 is 5th or 4th gear. It would seem like that's crazy but IIRC you have to feather the throttle quite a bit in 4th whereas in 5th you just nail it, so you could go either way.

Also I just remembered, since they repaved the track (aug 2008) and again about a month ago, the track is 2-3s quicker. So fast lap in a stock C6Z should be around 1:56.

If you were just recently there, this kind of heat will kill performance on slicks, don't know about street tires but certainly the heat will affect engine performance.

Last edited by mousecatcher; 09-27-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thunderhill track times...

Quick Reply: Thunderhill track times...