Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'87 Power Steering Pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default '87 Power Steering Pump issue

The PS pump on my 87 is starting to "whine" much more often now during autocross events and track days. Everything starts out quiet, but for HPDE events, it takes 3-5 laps before the pump objects to high RPM and turns. Same with autocross days; After 5-6 runs with lots of high RPM and turns, it will start to howl.

I use street tires for track days and A6's for autocross. Street driving doesn't seem to be a problem with the pump; stays quiet all day long even on hot days.

The pump is original and the rack is a new (reman) Z51 unit. The car is a Z52 suspension so it doesn't have a PS cooler. I run Red Line synthetic fluid and I usually change fluid at the start of each year.

I've searched both here and in C4 Tech and read about the Turn One service, but would I be just as well off with buying a reman pump and adding a cooler? Looks like an AC Delco reman pump will run about $90 shipped. A-1 Cardone pumps are around $20 cheaper, but I don't know too much about their quality.

Perma-Cool has both 2-pass and 4-pass PS cooler units and either one would be easy to install where the Z51 cooler would have been.

So what's your suggestions/comments?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with the Turn-One pump. I have had zero issues with it and would highly recommend them. I had an AC Delco pump with a cooler throw craps after two track days. Initially it was pricey, but in the long run I think your better off. You may however have to send them your old pump so that they can use the housing. They had one when I called, but he suggested I hold on to the old one just for the housing.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Get as much cooling as you can.

I've have the stock PS cooler on mine, and my stock pump is always overheating a bit.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 PM
lawyer
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default p s pump

Use the turn one pump, pay the money and foget about any future problems. you should add the cooler anyway. I was having problems with 2 pumps so i finally went to turn one and now no problems
Old 09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Check for a suction leak. It sounds like the pump is cavitating.

My 96 LT4 did the same thing. It would blow a hose in about 3 minutes of running hard on a road course.

DRM Aeroquip hose fixed the blowing up the high pressure hose.
Then the hard lines to the rack started oppping.
Then the pump went.
Etc.
Suction leak let air into system at high rpm.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Wouldn't cavitation introduce air into the system and create foam or at least bubbles in the fluid? I have sucked fluid out of the reservoir immediately coming off a track session and the fluid show no indication of air and no foaming in the reservoir.

The fluid level stays constant and I keep it midway between the full and add marks. I had found that keeping the level in the reservoir at the Full mark will occasionally cause minor overflowing. That's why I now keep the level between the two marks.

The hoses are all solid and there are no leaks anywhere, even in the rack. This noise has been going on for a couple years now but only during high RPM levels and aggressive turning.

Get notified of new replies

To '87 Power Steering Pump issue

Quick Reply: '87 Power Steering Pump issue