Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 5pt Harness Crotch belt mounting

Old 09-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default C4 5pt Harness Crotch belt mounting

Application: Simspon 5 point harness in an 85 with stock (93) seats and 6pt roll bar from drag racing days now seeing HPDE time.

I would like to know how others have their crotch bolts mounted through the floor. Simpson instructions say not to mount to the regular floorboard and I get that.

Is there anything short of a new floor? Maybe a large plate that would act as "washer" or subfloor? By large plate I mean somethng like 2' x 2' that would effectively be a subfloor bolted in place. I'd be happy to weld it in as a subfloor but I don't see how to in this car.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Mine is around the seat bracket, but I have Corbeau seats and brackets. Perhaps the stock bracket could have a cross part welded in. I don't remember what the stock brackets looked like.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I'd just convert it to a 6pt.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody put pics up at one time, they put some flat stock across the seat rails (I think they were aftermarket but the same could be done going across and using the seat mounting studs) and secured the belt to that. I have no qualifications to call this method as adequate or inadequate however.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
I'd just convert it to a 6pt.

Your family Jewels will thank you.

...and be sure to mount them using the correct geometry. There are a LOT of people on here who have the sub belts mounted incorrectly. Usually they are WAY too far forward.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 PM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.bkauto.com/corvette/r9130.php
Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the Brey-Krause piece. Nice piece and fits well with my HardBar seat rails. Make sure if you use a 5 point that it goes through the seat bottom not in front!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks for the advice everyone I appreciate it.

Shotchkiss, that's great, thank you!

Originally Posted by SDF
I use the Brey-Krause piece. Nice piece and fits well with my HardBar seat rails. Make sure if you use a 5 point that it goes through the seat bottom not in front!
So cut a hole or don't use the harness? It may not be ideal without the hole but better than nothing maybe? I'm not trying to argue, I guess I'm really asking if it's a go / no-go situation or just less than ideal.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

With the seat back I put the straps between the seat back and bottom, you can set it up like this

Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How's your metal fabricating? I just ran a piece of flat stock across the floor and welded it to the seat mount brackets. If you have the stock seat tracks then perhaps you could run two plates to pick up the front and rear seat mounts, then a bar across them, like an H. I bolted the belt mounts through the bar and through the floor and sandwiched it all together.

Make sure you measure where in the floor the plate should mount so you get the proper angle for the sub belt.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
How's your metal fabricating? I just ran a piece of flat stock across the floor and welded it to the seat mount brackets. If you have the stock seat tracks then perhaps you could run two plates to pick up the front and rear seat mounts, then a bar across them, like an H. I bolted the belt mounts through the bar and through the floor and sandwiched it all together.

Make sure you measure where in the floor the plate should mount so you get the proper angle for the sub belt.
That sounds like a good plan. The BK unit uses a wrap style and my belts are bolt-in. I will decide whether I want to do my own or drill a hole in the BK unit (may not advisable though).

Originally Posted by Brian C.
With the seat back I put the straps between the seat back and bottom, you can set it up like this
Brian, thanks. That may be the way to go until I can get my *** in a real seat. I can see how the "frank and beans" may get a little irritated. That would put the strap in a much better location though.

As redsls1 has noted with many installs, I know for a fact mine are WAY too far forward now.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess I should have also commented that my setup is not in a street car, I have a Sparco seat and no carpeting, etc. I'm not sure how well you could make things fit with carpet and foam in there.

I can't see the pics, but proper belt routing is paramount. If you are currently using stock seats, the only option is to cut the bottom of the seat to allow the belt to come through as opposed to come over the front cusion.

Quite frankly, I would avoid using 5 or 6 point harnesses if you still have stock seats. Stick with the factory system until the seats are installed to support the harnesses.

And 6 points are worth the money in the comfort of your junk
Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

For stock seats something like a TeamTech JetPilot is best

http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r.../jetpilot.html

Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I guess I should have also commented that my setup is not in a street car, I have a Sparco seat and no carpeting, etc. I'm not sure how well you could make things fit with carpet and foam in there.

I can't see the pics, but proper belt routing is paramount. If you are currently using stock seats, the only option is to cut the bottom of the seat to allow the belt to come through as opposed to come over the front cusion.

Quite frankly, I would avoid using 5 or 6 point harnesses if you still have stock seats. Stick with the factory system until the seats are installed to support the harnesses.

And 6 points are worth the money in the comfort of your junk
I may just find a set of ragged out seat bottoms for cheap and slice a hole in them. It takes all of 5 seconds to swap out a seat bottom for track day.

In regards to getting new belts, I think for now I'd rather spend the money on a HANS than on new belts when the ones I have are good and will work with proper mounting. Plus, I have 4 kids, I'm more worried about being around for them than I am about making more

Sorry about all the questions. I like to do things myself and the focus for the next 6 monhs will be safety and reliability. And shrinking my *** to fit a real seat.

I think with your guys' help and cautions I have a much safer solution until I can get a couple real seats. I'll update when I finish the project. Need to get this done by NASA Fall Finale at Summit Point

Get notified of new replies

To C4 5pt Harness Crotch belt mounting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 5pt Harness Crotch belt mounting