Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Track at Gingerman, October 17

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Open Track at Gingerman, October 17

I just wanted to let any interested parties know that 3 ***** Racing is hosting an event at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI on Saturday, October 17. This will be our last event of the year and should be a great chance to get some track time before winter really hits.

We normally run 4 run groups based on driver experience and vehicle potential. This has been known to change to 3 depending on attendance. Sessions last 20 minutes. Instructors are available and we have an instruction session in the morning. Cost for the day is $165 and includes lunch and drinks.

The first car will go on track at 9 and we will run until 5 with a one hour break for lunch. The track will be open at lunch for low speed parade laps.

For more details and to sign up, please visit 3ballsracing.com. Of course, you can also ask me questions here.

Thanks
Ken
Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I plan on attending along with a few others. This will be my first 3 ***** event but not my first time at Gingerman.

I have a few questions:
- If you find yourself to fast or too slow for your original group, are you allowed to move up or down?

- What kind of laptimes (I know its not a timed event) does a typical Advanced car run? How about intermediate?

-On the website it shows that there are 60 available slots, is this the absolute max or is there some room to go over if you register late?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:30 AM
bb69
Drifting

Glad to hear you will be able to make it. Here are the answers you are looking for:

1. We do our best to put people in the correct group. If there is an issue, simply see me or one of my instructors and we will get you in the proper group.

2. Our advanced group normally has some pretty quick cars. My dedicated track car is normally in the top 1 or 2 for laptimes, but I would have to go watch a video and see what I was turning. This groups normally has Corvettes, some Subaru STI's, a supercharged Miata, a 06 Mustang, and an assortment of other very trackworthy cars. They all have very good track manners though. The intermediate group depends on the event. Sometimes it's overflow from the advanced group, and then we separate by HP. Other times, it's drivers with less experience. If you are a track regular that is good about passing and can maintain a good pace, the advanced group will be fine.

3. I still have 30 spots available as of this morning, so I don't anticipate running out of spots. I do my very best not to go over 60 cars. The only time it happened was when some people paid but didn't register. I believe I have that problem resolved.

Thanks
Ken

Originally Posted by stevensa
I plan on attending along with a few others. This will be my first 3 ***** event but not my first time at Gingerman.

I have a few questions:
- If you find yourself to fast or too slow for your original group, are you allowed to move up or down?

- What kind of laptimes (I know its not a timed event) does a typical Advanced car run? How about intermediate?

-On the website it shows that there are 60 available slots, is this the absolute max or is there some room to go over if you register late?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:52 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

What is your dedicated track car? Do you have a link to any of your videos at Gingerman, I would be interested in watching them if you do, they would also help me gauge what group to run in.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve, do you know your lap times at GMan?

In an HPDE there, typically the faster guys run low to mid 1:30's. The intermediates run high 1:30's to low 1:40's. Your less experienced crowd (or the experienced guys in Miatas) run 1:40+.

Sometimes a car or two will show up that can break the 1:30 barrier, but probably not in October when racing season is over and the test and tune racing crowd has gone home.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 PM
bb69
Drifting

What is your dedicated track car? Do you have a link to any of your videos at Gingerman, I would be interested in watching them if you do, they would also help me gauge what group to run in.

It's basically a tube frame, mid-engine Corvette.

Here is a video from Grattan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdHQ9LzoFQk

I just realized I haven't posted any video from Gingerman. I was only there once with the car at the beginning of this season. I'll see if I can dig something up.

Last edited by bb69; 10-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Steve, do you know your lap times at GMan?

In an HPDE there, typically the faster guys run low to mid 1:30's. The intermediates run high 1:30's to low 1:40's. Your less experienced crowd (or the experienced guys in Miatas) run 1:40+.

Sometimes a car or two will show up that can break the 1:30 barrier, but probably not in October when racing season is over and the test and tune racing crowd has gone home.
Last time that I was timed my faster laps were low 1:37 with average 1:38 laps. I should hopefully be running more in the 1:35 range this coming weekend. It sounds like I should be looking to run in the Intermediate group then? Do you still get to have an instructor with the Intermediate group?

Also, are non-instructor passengers allowed in the Intermediate group?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM
bb69
Drifting

Last time that I was timed my faster laps were low 1:37 with average 1:38 laps. I should hopefully be running more in the 1:35 range this coming weekend. It sounds like I should be looking to run in the Intermediate group then? Do you still get to have an instructor with the Intermediate group?

We don't assign instructors. They are available on a first come, first served basis. The only preference is given to the real beginners. Passengers are allowed.

Ken
Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Ken willing, I'll ride with you and have you running 1:31's by the end of the day
Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Ken willing, I'll ride with you and have you running 1:31's by the end of the day
Sounds like a plan to me! This ok with you Ken?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:15 PM
bb69
Drifting

Sounds like a plan to me! This ok with you Ken?

I'm fine with it. I encourage drivers and instructors to hook up before the event. Jon will be able to help you out tremendously.

Ken
Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Im all registered and paid up, can't wait for this Saturday!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Im all registered and paid up, can't wait for this Saturday!
Oh snap, you didn't tell me your Z06 was blue. I think those go 1:27's.

Gingerman track record in TTA is a blue one...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Oh snap, you didn't tell me your Z06 was blue. I think those go 1:27's.

Gingerman track record in TTA is a blue one...
That sounds about right, I think it was advertised as being ~4 seconds faster in the blue package.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Quick question, I own and use an M2005 not SA2005 helmet. Is this ok?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
bb69
Drifting

Quick question, I own and use an M2005 not SA2005 helmet. Is this ok?

PM Sent

Get notified of new replies

To Open Track at Gingerman, October 17

Quick Reply: Open Track at Gingerman, October 17