Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie questions

First:

Do I need to worry about a Power Steering fluid cooler for a car that will never see the street and only used for HPDE and maybe TT?

Also, on a similar subject; I would like to try the '84 fast ratio rack I have , but I am changing front end to 1990 . Can't see the difficulty other than tie rod lengths? Am I going down a bad road here?

Second question

Can you "De-Nash" the 4+3? Thinking the T10 is fine for this purpose, at least short term. It "appears" a standard main shaft would fit right through a gutted OD section??

If this is terribly dumb, then what is the opinion of a T5-5 for the duty describe? ZF's are pretty scarce [ pricey too].

TJM
Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TJM
First:

Do I need to worry about a Power Steering fluid cooler for a car that will never see the street and only used for HPDE and maybe TT?

Also, on a similar subject; I would like to try the '84 fast ratio rack I have , but I am changing front end to 1990 . Can't see the difficulty other than tie rod lengths? Am I going down a bad road here?

Second question

Can you "De-Nash" the 4+3? Thinking the T10 is fine for this purpose, at least short term. It "appears" a standard main shaft would fit right through a gutted OD section??

If this is terribly dumb, then what is the opinion of a T5-5 for the duty describe? ZF's are pretty scarce [ pricey too].

TJM
I would definitely install a PS cooler for something that is going to be a track car. Perma-Cool has a 4-pass cooler that should work. Summit Racing has them for around $40 and they come with either NPT or AN fittings. The OEM pump may not hold up anyway so check out the Turn One pumps as a replacement. Members have used these pumps with great success on track cars.

The early C4 (84-87) front ends are different than the 88 and later so I would think the 84 PS rack will not fit or at least not easily. Why not use a Z51 rack from an 89? A reman quick steering rack should run about $200.

I don't think you can simply "gut" the OD unit. Reverse gear and the OD are tied together in terms of operation. The mainshaft of a standard Super T-10 may not be the right length anyway. Have you looked into the Keisler unit? It's a 5-speed and is available in different ratios and HP ratings. And it's a bolt-in installation for a C4 as it's designed to bolt to the C-beam. I think it even includes the shifter.

Sometimes you can find used ZF trannies on eBay or they appear in the C4 Parts For Sale section.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
TJM
Drifting

Thanks for the input. This is the first go round doing this, so many dumb questions.

I will try to fit the rack, but have the same gut feeling.

The aftermarket pump is a new item on the budget.. a lot of those are pooping up.

The '89 and latter have a cooler? Probably find a junker and clean it up?

the 4+3 was promised to the guy that sold me the car, he needed it as a template, so I didn't care much about experimenting as long as it physically remains the same. May still tinker with it?

Thanks again.

TJM
Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

One option if you have an 88 and up is the NOS power steering rack from Corvetterecycling.

I haven't looked real well at mine to see if it is a power steering or oil cooler, but it is part of the Z07 package. I haven't seen any power steering issues yet on my 92.

If you have the time NASA SE is going to be at Road Atlanta the first weekend in December - Come on out and visit with the gang.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

PS coolers only came on Z51-equipped cars. The chances of finding one on a wreck or parts car may be slim, and the Perma-Cool unit will be much cheaper anyway. You would want to install all new hoses and finding the proper Z51 PS cooler hoses could be an issue.

I'll be installing the PErma-Cool unit over the winter as my PS pump starts to whine badly on track days after 4-5 laps. You should also use a full synthetic PS fluid like RedLine or maybe the Amsoil stuff.

I use my 87 4+3 coupe for a few track days and I just don't engage the OD unit. I can still hit 125-128 on long straights and so far the OD still works fine on the street. I do service the OD annually and that only take an hour, two beers, and $20.

The 5th gear in the Keisler tranny is very close to the Nash OD's .62 ratio so the Keisler would likely provide similar top speeds, and with the Keisler, you could swap gear ratios in the diff to better utilize the gear ratios.

If the car you are using is an 84, they all came with a Dana D36 diff. I would look as swapping in a D44 from a later car (would be from a manual trans car) for more strength.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaa1992
One option if you have an 88 and up is the NOS power steering rack from Corvetterecycling.

I haven't looked real well at mine to see if it is a power steering or oil cooler, but it is part of the Z07 package. I haven't seen any power steering issues yet on my 92.

If you have the time NASA SE is going to be at Road Atlanta the first weekend in December - Come on out and visit with the gang.
I'm a memember but have not engaged yet. I'd rather not tear up my old '89.

We are planning on coming, just to get a feel for what will have to do and see what other's are doing with the antiques.

TJM
Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
PS coolers only came on Z51-equipped cars. The chances of finding one on a wreck or parts car may be slim, and the Perma-Cool unit will be much cheaper anyway. You would want to install all new hoses and finding the proper Z51 PS cooler hoses could be an issue.

I'll be installing the PErma-Cool unit over the winter as my PS pump starts to whine badly on track days after 4-5 laps. You should also use a full synthetic PS fluid like RedLine or maybe the Amsoil stuff.

I use my 87 4+3 coupe for a few track days and I just don't engage the OD unit. I can still hit 125-128 on long straights and so far the OD still works fine on the street. I do service the OD annually and that only take an hour, two beers, and $20.

The 5th gear in the Keisler tranny is very close to the Nash OD's .62 ratio so the Keisler would likely provide similar top speeds, and with the Keisler, you could swap gear ratios in the diff to better utilize the gear ratios.

If the car you are using is an 84, they all came with a Dana D36 diff. I would look as swapping in a D44 from a later car (would be from a manual trans car) for more strength.

Thanks!!

Actually have a fix for the weak 36. I have been told it is commercially available as well.

You weld al. blocks to the rear case and machine them to bear on the back of the bearing caps.

A little tricky, but it works well, from what I have been told and while
talk is cheap, it seems rational.

Also told the Dana 36 gear sets are made of heavier metal than the 44?

TJM
Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
PS coolers only came on Z51-equipped cars.
As noted above, PS coolers came on Z07 cars. Which for the most part in reality was the later version of Z51.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jwt1603
As noted above, PS coolers came on Z07 cars. Which for the most part in reality was the later version of Z51.
Sounds like a hard find?

The '84 radiator is in great shape and has a cooler for the 4+3 which will not be used? I have been pondering what to do with that cooler section?

I had considered engine oil, but maybe this would be a good match for the PS?

Opinions?

TJM

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie questions

Quick Reply: Newbie questions