Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor (pad) deposits - removed - pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Rotor (pad) deposits - removed - pics

This started with using oem c5z pads for a track day - don't do it. Pictures of that problem are on my other thread with lots of good comments from other forum members.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...questions.html

I "roughed up" the oem pads & stuck them back on, there was taper & they were not really any good, but had to do until I got new pads.

I was surprised to find that the "cleaned up" pads had scrubbed off most of the deposits.

Here is a shot of one front rotor, only 1 small deposit at outer edge at about 11 o'clock.

I used #100 garnet paper on a small Makita hand power sander and scrubbed all the rotors for a fresh surface.

Pic after sanding. LF.

Put fresh Hawk HP+ all around & did a short bed in procedure & went to AX yesterday, all back to normal & nice stopping.

BTW the pads are sold on Amazon for $105 per front axle shipped. Great price & they throw in a decal & caliper grease packet. Quick delivery.

Last pic is the LF tie rod end, brand new Moog lasted (well it didn't really last) one track day. So I'll need to be wrapping/shielding these from now on.

Bottom line is the deposits, if you get them by not using a hot enough (heat range) pad are not hard to remove. You might even do it with the rotor on the car, but I took them off.

Hope this helps other forum members.

Last edited by froggy47; 10-05-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah I had bad trouble with the Z06 pads too for track use. They are very nice on the street. This is what a weekend did to them:

They would fade. I thought I'd try them but it didn't go well. Track pads only from now on!

So far to remove deposits all I've had to do was re-bed the brakes. I've gotten some nasty rotors from rain events. Either re-bedding or some dry track laps have fixed them for me.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I probably could have just put the Hawk's on, but I hear so much "talk" about bedding in/don't mix pads/yadayada that I was overly cautious. No harm in sanding the rotors & also would not have caught the tie rod end split probably.

In retrospect, had I run the DE with better pads, my times would have been that much better (not that anyone does times at a DE).
Thanks for the post.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor (pad) deposits - removed - pics

Quick Reply: Rotor (pad) deposits - removed - pics