Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day advice for Chin group needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day advice for Chin group needed

I'm planning on doing my first out of state event next weekend with Chin at Barber. 4 hours up and 4 hours back, plus this track isn't cheap.

Weather report isn't good, see attachment.

Turns out Chin doesn't give refunds within 9 days of the event. It's 8 days right now

Cancellation/refund policy
  • If you cancel 30+ days before the event, your track fees will be refunded in full.
  • If you cancel 10 to 29 days before the event, a $100 cancellation fee is applicable. The balance of your fees will be refunded.
  • If you cancel 9 days or less before the event, or NO-SHOW on the event date, your track fees are forfeited. A refund or credit is not available.
  • Credit for future events is not available. Refunds will be made as described above.
NO EXCEPTIONS due to mechanical failure. Prepare you car carefully.

I love these events, but the amount of prep, effort, and funds to do them would not be worth it if even one day is rained out.

I was thinking I might cancel and try to sneak in another event before end of season, but now it looks like I'm locked.

Any thoughts guys?
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2009, 11:55 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What's to think about?

I think it clearly says rain or shine.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Our forecasts around here are never accurate. This past Summer I missed a couple of great days boating because I trusted the forecast. One day it was even a 100% chance, and I never a drop. Just hope for the best.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pharma-c6
Our forecasts around here are never accurate. This past Summer I missed a couple of great days boating because I trusted the forecast. One day it was even a 100% chance, and I never a drop. Just hope for the best.
They can't tell squat 8-9 days out as to weather. Whatever moisture they see on radar may actually arrive several days earlier or later or skip that region entirely. Weather forcast is somewhat accurate within 8-12hr.

Unfortunately, this is what you accept with DE. Except for BSR at summit, nobody will let you cancel within 1-2 days because they all know it might be that you want better weather. BSR will give you a 1 time raincheck.

The best you can do regarding weather is to pick what you think are historically low rainfall periods. Generally at change of season, there's a lot of rain. Oct I would think is one of the best times of year to run weatherwise, although there is usually not much rain in the summer. That's part of the reason you see so many summer events (the main one being nice sticky tire temps in summer).
Old 10-09-2009, 12:23 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Ken - I had this same dilema last year after paying for a track day with CHIN at Road Atlanta only to have rain. It was too late to cancel so I went anyway not really looking forward to it. I'm so glad that I did. I had never run in the rain before so I didn't know what to expect so I chose to have an instructor in the car. It was about 35-40 degrees so that made it even worse for traction, but I managed to bring the car home in one piece (although several others didn't) thanks to my instructor and I learned a ton about car control. Sure I wasn't able to run 10/10's, but ultimately the experience I believe made me a better driver.

If you are 100% sure it's going to be wet, my advice is to not worry so much about prepping the car like you would for a dry track day. Run stock brake pads and street tires. Run factory sway bars if you have time to swap them out and more than anything focus on learning and not so much on going fast. Trust me it will be worth it.

Oh yeah - tape doesn't stick in the rain so don't waste your time if you normally tape it up.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I guess I'm just being whiny. The last two gave me some hope. I never really put much thought into it until losing half a day at road Atlanta last month. I was thinking that checking out the weather a week in advance was pretty responsible, especially since the forecasts only go 10 days out.

Sure hope it doesn't rain as it looks like I'll be heading up Fri after work regardless. A rainy weekend will really dampen my enthusiasm.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
If you are 100% sure it's going to be wet, my advice is to not worry so much about prepping the car like you would for a dry track day. Run stock brake pads and street tires. Run factory sway bars if you have time to swap them out and more than anything focus on learning and not so much on going fast. Trust me it will be worth it.

Your way ahead of me Scott, I'm still adding stuff to be a track car. Adding hardbar with harness, put FAST92 back on. Acquire full set of spare slicks. Oh, and a camera to go on that hardbar. You've got the greatest vids. I love that Road Atlanta one where you spin in 10. I can't believe how quick you got back on the track. Oops, just a little detour over here in the grass, doubt anybody saw it, no harm, no foul.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
Ken - I had this same dilema last year after paying for a track day with CHIN at Road Atlanta only to have rain. It was too late to cancel so I went anyway not really looking forward to it. I'm so glad that I did. I had never run in the rain before so I didn't know what to expect so I chose to have an instructor in the car. It was about 35-40 degrees so that made it even worse for traction, but I managed to bring the car home in one piece (although several others didn't) thanks to my instructor and I learned a ton about car control. Sure I wasn't able to run 10/10's, but ultimately the experience I believe made me a better driver.

Oh yeah - tape doesn't stick in the rain so don't waste your time if you normally tape it up.

I was at that same event with some buddies. The weather was miserable, cold and wet, cycles of rain and drizzle. We had 2 choices. Cry, whine, pack up, go home. Make the best of it, put on street tires, learn to deal with horrible weather driving on track. We stayed and adapted. It was dangerous for sure. Good lesson in how to be super gentle on inputs. Did we get our money's worth out of it? Other than in having the crap scared out of me for 2 days. I got plenty on that. It's still much better than packing up and going home.

Just take it as it comes Ken. Bring slicks and street tires. Adapt and don't let it ruin your weekend. You could be at work or mowing the lawn...
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
imp zog
Racer

Aside from having to wash the car afterward, I don't see why so many people look on rain as being such a deterrent. It's an amazing time to learn how to drive the car better, with lower speeds and a lot less traction! You will find that it does wonders for how smooth you are behind the wheel and on the pedals, as well as your shifting. Sure, you won't be going as fast as you can in the dry, but you definitely can learn a lot about handling your car when you have so little grip. Just be very gentle on the throttle and have some fun!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
Your way ahead of me Scott, I'm still adding stuff to be a track car. Adding hardbar with harness, put FAST92 back on. Acquire full set of spare slicks. Oh, and a camera to go on that hardbar. You've got the greatest vids. I love that Road Atlanta one where you spin in 10. I can't believe how quick you got back on the track. Oops, just a little detour over here in the grass, doubt anybody saw it, no harm, no foul.
Thanks Ken, but I'm definately still a rookie even though I try to run with the big dogs.
Yeah for some reason, my car has a tough time following the pavent thru 10A and B at Road Atlanta. I think maybe there's something lodged in the steering rack that won't let me turn the wheel far enough to make those turns. Or maybe there's something wedged under my brake pedal that won't allow me to slow down enough? I really need to look into that

Last edited by sperkins; 10-09-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Driving in the rain is great practice for lines and skill.

you just have to slow down a bit, which can be a good thing
Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
We stayed and adapted.

It was dangerous for sure.

Good lesson in how to be super gentle on inputs.

Did we get our money's worth out of it? Other than in having the crap scared out of me for 2 days. I got plenty on that.

It's still much better than packing up and going home.

Just take it as it comes Ken. Bring slicks and street tires. Adapt and don't let it ruin your weekend. You could be at work or mowing the lawn...
Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Pack up and go! That forcast is a chance! You should try running Road America in April or October. Highs in the 30's and snow!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:14 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

trying to play weather roulette is a game you cannot win. get some experience doing this in the rain and never worry about it again.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:52 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I plan to attend the same event and after reading the above you guys almost have me wishing for rain!

I attended an event with Chin at Barber earlier this year. At the last moment I was considering no going because they called for a 70% chance of rain both days..

I decided to go anyway and it never rained a single drop at the track.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was at the cold and rainy event with Grant last year. After that I decided to pick up some rain tires and had a blast with Nasa. Still was able to exceed 130 mph and 1.2 g's. Here is a vid

http://www.vimeo.com/3705453
Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Timz06
Still was able to exceed 130 mph and 1.2 g's.
That's because you're just crazy.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Day advice for Chin group needed

Old 10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I learned Rd Atl in the rain.

Jake hasn't ridden with me since.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:25 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by longdaddy
trying to play weather roulette is a game you cannot win. get some experience doing this in the rain and never worry about it again.

Promoting my own track events, I have learned you just cannot think about the weather too much. It will drive you crazy, Just go and have a good time.

I have had a blast at events without even taking the car off the trailer due to weather woes.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:05 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

I've done numerous Chin events, Great bunch of Folks, Even had a good time at the cold and wet Road Atlanta event. You'll have a good time and learn alot. Keep the shinney side up.

Fred

Quick Reply: Track Day advice for Chin group needed