Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the end of road racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the end of road racing

Judging from the ALMS fan turnout at Laguna Seca, road racing is dead in the US. This race should be a headliner event. Yet the already thin crowd was leaving early because it was getting cold. A stark contrast to the Laguna Seca motogp attendance a couple of months back. Not to mention the availability this year of an amateur no sound limit weekend at Laguna.

Brilliant move by Panoz to fill out the field with the GT3 cars, but it doesn't matter if it doesn't bring in the fans.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Economy? ppl dont have the money to go too races.

Heck even NASCAR races are down in attendance.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by au n egl
economy? Ppl dont have the money to go too races.
$40?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I went to one and I was shocked at the cost, I think it was $40. Maybe a little more. I haven't been back but I really like club events besides having a limited budget.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rolex DP race had nothing but empty stands. Economy to a point but face it people love accidents and I think NASCAR is having less and it is hurting the tickets.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The actual cost of the ticket is small compared to the total cost. I've been to 3 ALMS races, and I LOVE it, but the multiple-hour drive, gas, and lodging all make it fairly expensive; a couple hundred dollars, probably.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Economy? ppl dont have the money to go too races.

Heck even NASCAR races are down in attendance.
I go to a few races a year... tracks that are usually sold out months in advance now have sections that are completely empty.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I really love the vintage races. They're cheap and one ticket gets you full access. It's not the same as the ALMS or Grand AM races but I enjoy the paddock a whole lot more. I'm just getting a little tired of the big money arrogance.

That may be why we're going crap car racing next year. Cheap and dirty - I love it.

Richard Newton
Intervention Motorsports
Old 10-11-2009, 06:51 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Roadracing was it but the series owners forgot how to market the product. How many young folks think about road racing beyong their X-Box etc... You need to bring in the fans.

MotoGP is hot because it also markets to the younger crowd and they can afford bikes themselves however the sales of sportbikes is down due to financing.

Looks like the owners need to rethink the strategy.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveL82
Roadracing was it but the series owners forgot how to market the product. How many young folks think about road racing beyong their X-Box etc... You need to bring in the fans.

MotoGP is hot because it also markets to the younger crowd and they can afford bikes themselves however the sales of sportbikes is down due to financing.

I'm relatively young (28) and I think I am about as big of a race fan that there is. I have a coffee table made out of a tire for cryin' out loud... I was at a track for the first time at 1 year old and haven't stopped since. I grew up with Indy/NASCAR/Dirt track/Motorcycles/Drag Racing and about everything else out there. Only in the last 2-3 years have I discovered road racing as anything more than an afterthought. I grew up in the Cincy area so there were no local road courses. Mid Ohio was the closest... It is hardly ever on TV (no big market coverage), and like Dave said it isn't marketed really at all. Granted there is more coverage now than before, but it still isn't good.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:13 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Rolex DP race had nothing but empty stands.
Rolex races are always empty though. ALMS needs the spectators.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
BAMbrick
Racer

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
The actual cost of the ticket is small compared to the total cost. I've been to 3 ALMS races, and I LOVE it, but the multiple-hour drive, gas, and lodging all make it fairly expensive; a couple hundred dollars, probably.
Exactly why i couldnt make it. That's a pretty expensive weekend for an event 6+ hours away.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:16 PM
BAMbrick
Racer

i will add, that i was able to go to the Long Beach race earlier this year and it was awesome
Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
$40?
This year it was $50 for the two day ticket.The money is made on the TV sales.ALMS buys the 4 hours of air time and sells the commercials.Yes the attendence was down,but so is every type of racing except for Vintage.Next years race is in MAY.There was in excess of 250 cars in Vette coral and 150 at the Corvette Racing dinner Friday night.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Rolex races are always empty though. ALMS needs the spectators.
because the cars don't look like any thing on the street. Went to NASCAR 2 years ago and 5 people went through over 1000 with no travel included and nothing great to eat few beers and burgers.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Attendance at the ALMS race at Mosport was noticeably smaller this year; even the Corvette Corral was smaller than usual. In years past, the corral was always sold out.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:14 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveL82

marketing does not exist!

Get notified of new replies

To the end of road racing

Old 10-11-2009, 09:32 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It's hard to draw spectators when some of the ALMS races had 8 cars per run group too. The last couple at least had a dozen or so GT2 cars, but the lack of close racing other than restarts makes it something for the die-hards only. Plus running 3-4 types of cars mixed together to make a full field really sucks IMO. I know it's the way it's done, but I'd rather see a couple shorter races all the same day, i.e. 15 each gt2 and gt3 cars or even better 25 gt2 cars (dreaming)... then a seperate race for the prototype cars. Without the prototype cars cutting through the field, maybe the gt cars could stay in contact better, but then again 1-2 seconds per lap difference between the slow and fast cars isn't that close of a field of gt2.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:59 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
because the cars don't look like any thing on the street.
sure ... i'm not arguing why Rolex attendance is low, i'm just pointing out that it's always been extremely low so it's not a good barometer to measure ALMS attendance.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z11409
There was in excess of 250 cars in Vette coral
and I'll bet there were 400+ last year. there were tons of infield parking spots available.

Quick Reply: the end of road racing