Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much ABS response in an autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much ABS response in an autocross?

I ran my first autocross in my 08 Z51 is past weekend. I've been autocrossing for many years in lots of different cars, but I've never gotten as much ABS activity as I got in the 'vette. The ABS was just going nuts constantly. I'm used to only getting ABS on really hard braking right before hairpins and stuff, but I was getting heavy ABS just slowing for slalom entries and such.

Conditions weren't great for grip. 47 degrees and OEM Goodyear's with 17000 miles, but in even colder conditions last year I didn't get this kind of ABS activity in my G37S.

Does the 'vette have more aggressive ABS, or is it just my crummy tires/conditions?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '06 Z51 will only engage ABS with a good solid *stomp* on the pedal... I've never had it come on when I wasn't expecting it/asking for it.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Did you have the A/H on? Competitive mode?

A/H uses the ABS system to help control the car.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Since you are an experienced auto-xer it is probably due to leaving the active handling on. The yaw censor combined with your speed and turning angles probably set the A/H into action which uses the ABS also.
I run with everything off and if I forget to turn A/H off I can get ABS with just light pressure on the brakes with active handling on.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I ran my first run with competition mode on, ran the other 5 with everything off. I did notice that on my first run I had really poor braking until they warmed up a bit. The rest of the runs I could still brake fine, its just the ABS was going berserk.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrillhouse
I ran my first autocross in my 08 Z51 is past weekend. I've been autocrossing for many years in lots of different cars, but I've never gotten as much ABS activity as I got in the 'vette. The ABS was just going nuts constantly. I'm used to only getting ABS on really hard braking right before hairpins and stuff, but I was getting heavy ABS just slowing for slalom entries and such.

Conditions weren't great for grip. 47 degrees and OEM Goodyear's with 17000 miles, but in even colder conditions last year I didn't get this kind of ABS activity in my G37S.

Does the 'vette have more aggressive ABS, or is it just my crummy tires/conditions?
I vote tires/conditions.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Z16 Autocross
Cruising

What pads are you running?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I vote tires/conditions.

Even on the run where he had the AH system set in comp mode it probably shut itself off right after the start since it didn't have time to calibrate before the run started. If you don't get a chance to drive in a straight line for a couple hundred feet above 6 mph the system will shut down until it finishes calibration. Each time the engine is started the system has to re-calibrate.

Bill
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

My one other idea is overbraking, before I learned better I was overdriving the courses often, staying on gas too long, slamming on the brakes (abs time) etc. Combine a little of that with bad tires & cold temps & it's pretty easy to see over active abs.

I doubt anything is wrong with the car.

Get notified of new replies

To How much ABS response in an autocross?

Quick Reply: How much ABS response in an autocross?