Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you run at VIR question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What do you run at VIR question?

Just a generic question not to start a dogfight or anything just wondering the difference, if any, Hoosier vs Toyo would make in this scenario. Are the tires good for a couple of seconds the car seems to be flying!!!!
What a weekend! I decided to take the Forged GT-R to Virginia International Raceway for the final NASA race event of the year. I was looking forward to attempting to break the previous TT-U track record of 2:03 on the Full Course. Anything under 2:10 at VIR is flying pretty good.

Normally, we are required to compete with the Toyo R888's, but for this event the tire choice was completely open. So I decided to try our throughly used and abused 8 month old Hoosier A6's for this event. On Saturday's Time Trial, I finished with a 2:01.4 lap time which easily broke the previous track record.

And on Sunday I was able to muster up a bit more courage through the fast essess, South Bend, and along with some later braking was able to record a 2:00.002 (AMB Transporder) fast lap time in my still very streetable GT-R. At the risk of sounding really sentimental, hitting the symbolic 2:00 flat mark at VIR is extremely rewarding to me personally. I am still feeling the rush, nearly 3 days after the event!

We now have over 12,000 mostly track miles on our GT-R, and no even one mechanic failure or parts replacement has been required. Just fluids, and consumables. Hope to see more GT-R owners, and shop owners out on track next year!

Current specs:

525whp@17psi
JRZ Triples
Carbotech XP12's all around
Hoosier A6's 295/315/19
Stillen Sways
AP J-Hook Rotors
Volk RE30 wheels
AAM Downpipe, CBRD Y-Pipe, HKS Exhaust
Forge Actuators/HKS EVC 6
Forged Custom ECU Calibration via Cobb AP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r-xv...layer_embedded

Old 10-14-2009, 05:10 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Those 2 Forged GT-R's were fast. No chance against them on the straights w/ 365 RWHP. I was behind one coming off hogpen onto the front straight and what got my attention the most, was right before I grab'd 4th gear, he bang grab'd his next gear with that dual clutch gearbox in what sounded like F1 lightning fast. For X amount of shifts over a lap, that has got to be worth a lot of time. My shifting was "farmer john in his F150" slow by comparison and I was snapping them as quick as I could.

Interesting A6 notebook piece this weekend, was I ran my A6's leftover from Road Atlanta in Aug. I ran these hard, but pretty much 2 laps and in for TT session there, so I was not beating on them for 20-25 mins straight. Never felt like I was killing them. At CMP in May, I pounded on another set and abused them in the heat (long sessions, etc), and they were never really good after. These scuffs seemed to be much faster than my old scuff A6's, as it at least looks like pounding on them in the heat takes a toll on them. I ran my fastest lap of the weekend at the tail end of sunday, I'd say these are up to 10 HC's so far. Was very impressed, and pleased with the performance for this set. Nothing is like a set of stickers, but these don't seem near as falling off as the 1st set.

And yes a good fresh or nearly fresh A6/R6 is gonna be faster than a lot of those long lasting R comps (555R2, RA-1, 888's, etc).

There was an aero assisted subie that did a 1:58 or 1:59 I think.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Seemed pretty impressive for what is essentially a bolt on car and the 80-100 millisecond shifts are insane and not humanly possible. Cool that you live close to a awesome track and were able to run with some pretty quick machines.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:48 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good Video

Yes old warn out Hoosiers are MUCH faster the new or slightly heat cycled toyos.

Toyos are street tires, Hoosiers are real R compounds
Old 10-14-2009, 05:50 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately for the GTR "dude", he is way , way far off the TTU record.......

I also heard from about a Corvette guy with 550+ rwhp getting multiple car lengths put on him by both the Subie and the GTR....me thinks that they are playing with signicantly more power than they are claiming....

Here is the TTU record from July....

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1242501

Would have loved to drop that time significantly in the October "eagle air"......air quality between late july and October is probably 1+ seconds.

To the OP, Hoosier trumps Toyo by alot........(probably 2+ seconds, but I have never been on the Toyos...I have seen others go back to back )

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 10-14-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Unfortunately for the GTR "dude", he is way , way far off the TTU record.......
NASA MA's lap records seems hopelessly old (and hard to find on their site/various .xls files).

what is the TTU record?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is the TTU record from July....
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1242501
go post that over on the GT-R forum

air was good on sunday, sunny, coolish, dry air, good temp on the track surface. now if VIR would just pave the dirt paddock area's so we wouldn't drag 1,000 lbs of sand/dirt on to the track and deposit it out there during our scrub in laps...
Old 10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drivinhard
NASA MA's lap records seems hopelessly old (and hard to find on their site/various .xls files).

what is the TTU record?
Edited previous post with mylaps link....

1:55.0xx....and there is more , we'll get it next year. I think 2+ seconds will fall..

There records are incorrect but supposedly current, the ST2 record and the TTS record are incorrect also....

TTS and ST2 were both set in March in Forbis' ST2 car. TTS= 1:59.6xx and ST2= 2:01.xxx
Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drivinhard
go post that over on the GT-R forum

air was good on sunday, sunny, coolish, dry air, good temp on the track surface. now if VIR would just pave the dirt paddock area's so we wouldn't drag 1,000 lbs of sand/dirt on to the track and deposit it out there during our scrub in laps...

GTR link for entertainment purposes ?????

He was "easily" off of the record by 5+ seconds

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 10-14-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I think www.nagtroc.org/forums/ is the main GTR forum
Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also heard from about a Corvette guy with 550+ rwhp getting multiple car lengths put on him by both the Subie and the GTR....me thinks that they are playing with signicantly more power than they are claiming....
Forged Performance uses a Dyno Dynomatics AWD dyno which is even lower than Mustang Dyno results and definitely lower than DynoJet. From what little research I found on this, conversion factor is about 0.18 which would mean 525 is more like 620whp on a DynoJet.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:26 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with awd cars in NASA right now, is that there really is no way to police their legality. AWD dynos never come to the track, and if they do, they are rarely dynojets. Somebody needs to come up with a reliable easy way to check the HP on those things.

It doesnt help that most awd cars are also turbos, so they have the ability to change power levels very easily.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
dcvee
Instructor

Maybe he should put some monster mudders on that 4x4 and hit a truck rally? Sorry, not impressed with 4wd on a paved road course. Unlock the front hubs and lets see the track times.

Don
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Forged Performance uses a Dyno Dynomatics AWD dyno which is even lower than Mustang Dyno results and definitely lower than DynoJet. From what little research I found on this, conversion factor is about 0.18 which would mean 525 is more like 620whp on a DynoJet.
This rational makes alot more sense from what I heard from the weekend.....probably a TTR car anyway...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wallyman424
The problem with awd cars in NASA right now, is that there really is no way to police their legality. AWD dynos never come to the track, and if they do, they are rarely dynojets. Somebody needs to come up with a reliable easy way to check the HP on those things.

It doesnt help that most awd cars are also turbos, so they have the ability to change power levels very easily.
The "280 whp" STI's in TTA sure weren't coming back to me very fast (365 RWHP/3246 lb) on the straights Actually I think the one STi guy said he was at like 290, and the other guy was a good bit lower, and the first guy couldn't figure out why he wasn't faster on the straights than the other.

(not saying they are/were cheating, both super nice guys and drove their cars very well). Just seemed kinda "hmmm".

My beef of the weekend wasn't any of that, but was the TTE/TTD folks that felt the need to start at the front of the grid on saturday when we weren't on the grid by time or class Never got a clean lap all sat...
Old 10-14-2009, 10:16 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

"farmer john in his F150"

I resemble that remark
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Gut the darn GTR, and build it to ST1 or SU standards.

W2W will tell.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you run at VIR question?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Gut the darn GTR....
that'll get it down to what, 3600 lbs?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Johnny Miller and I were both in the mid to low 2:01s in April's National race in our T1 cars (no wings, no big brakes, no coilovers....), so I'm sure a well prepped ST2 car could get there as well...probably faster. Since VIR scraped off the top layer of the corners a bit, the track is 2-4 seconds per lap quicker than before.

But depending on which weather forecast you look at, we may be in for some steady showers...so a 2:01 with rain tires would be smokin'!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
AJRocketeer
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Johnny Miller and I were both in the mid to low 2:01s in April's National race in our T1 cars (no wings, no big brakes, no coilovers....), so I'm sure a well prepped ST2 car could get there as well...probably faster. Since VIR scraped off the top layer of the corners a bit, the track is 2-4 seconds per lap quicker than before.

But depending on which weather forecast you look at, we may be in for some steady showers...so a 2:01 with rain tires would be smokin'!!!!
Sorry Chris, but the track is not 2-4 seconds quicker than last year. We were only .7 quicker than last year in Koni.

Quick Reply: What do you run at VIR question?