Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I know what they meant "Barber is technically challenging"

Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I know what they meant "Barber is technically challenging"

You drive your butt off and yet my top speeds where 110's. Just amazing how much serious driving you do. You feel like your constantly on edge with one thing after another constantly coming your way. In 3'rd gear more than 4'th. 4 downshifts and 4 upshifts every lap.

After that much concentrated shifting, heel toe is no longer an issue. It just happens during the braking zone.

And I learned what a gravel pit is Never been in one, never heard about one, so when my instructor told me not to brake as I was heading straight towards a steel fence, I naturally ignored him. There's only one way out of a gravel pit. Good thing I had a hitch on the back of my car with those little safety ears. Very humbling to stop a whole session though. Tracking down a Ferrari made me a little overconfident.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2009, 07:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Ferrari point by, very cool

Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Ferrari point by, very cool

Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nice pic
Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Hey Ken, great to be with you and Frannie this weekend. It's ironic that I warned you about T12, the Bridge Turn, before the event and that was the one that ended up getting me. An early apex resulted in grass where pavement should have been at the top of the hill. I held it straight until I slowed enough to get it safely back on track. The only result was a little mud to wipe off the side of the car. :bb Lesson learned .... that's what a momentary lapse in concentration will get you at Barber!

Bob
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flycastinguy
Hey Ken, great to be with you and Frannie this weekend. It's ironic that I warned you about T12, the Bridge Turn, before the event and that was the one that ended up getting me. An early apex resulted in grass where pavement should have been at the top of the hill. I held it straight until I slowed enough to get it safely back on track. The only result was a little mud to wipe off the side of the car. :bb Lesson learned .... that's what a momentary lapse in concentration will get you at Barber!

Bob
You kept that pretty secret there Bob. I didn't even know you went off. My instructor kept telling me to let it go out further track left there. Both days he still wanted me within a foot of the grass. I came real close a couple times too. I'm guessing you probably go full throttle up that hill. I couldn't get myself to do that just yet. So anytime I knew my apex was off a bit, I would just compensate with throttle for safety. Probably time for another ride with an expert to see where I need to man up on the track, now that it's embedded into my memory. I think taking 13 faster actually would setup the trail brake into 14 better by pushing a little further out due to speed from 13.

Looking back at the sessions I did in the Blue group, I think I actually passed a few times in turn 14. I'm not big on passing in turns just yet, but some of those guys were going so far out it was really easy on that turn.

Was a lot of fun
Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhiteside

Was a lot of fun
and that is what it is all about.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 AM
flycastinguy
Racer

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
I'm guessing you probably go full throttle up that hill.
You give me far too much credit.

Get notified of new replies

To Now I know what they meant "Barber is technically challenging"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Now I know what they meant "Barber is technically challenging"