Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Brakes

Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Big Brakes

I am thinking about putting new bakes on my car.

I was just about to buy Wilwoods because of price, but I am not getting good vibes from the people I have talked to about them. Bembos are like buying another car, so I was thinking StopTech as a good compromise.

I have Pfadt parts on my car and they are great. The C6 that they have has StopTech on it, so I am thinking that they are the deal.

Any opinions?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I am thinking about putting new bakes on my car.

I was just about to buy Wilwoods because of price, but I am not getting good vibes from the people I have talked to about them. Bembos are like buying another car, so I was thinking StopTech as a good compromise.

I have Pfadt parts on my car and they are great. The C6 that they have has StopTech on it, so I am thinking that they are the deal.

Any opinions?
There are more options, just search a little. Brembo's are very $$, I liked the Wilwoods I had on my C5. I have StopTech's on my Z06. I should have done a little more research before getting them but overall I'm satisfied with them overall. I put a crack in one of the rotors after 3 track events (Road America, Heartland Park, and Autobahn) and went through 2 sets of pads in 4 events (add another RA).
Old 10-26-2009, 08:55 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
There are more options, just search a little. Brembo's are very $$, I liked the Wilwoods I had on my C5. I have StopTech's on my Z06. I should have done a little more research before getting them but overall I'm satisfied with them overall. I put a crack in one of the rotors after 3 track events (Road America, Heartland Park, and Autobahn) and went through 2 sets of pads in 4 events (add another RA).
I only live 30 miles from Road America, and I have been to the Autobahn once and after about 3 or 4 laps I could smell the pads, so I believe an upgrade is in order.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<------- Stop Tech!!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know if these prices are still good.

Corvette C5’s & C6’s same price. Note: Red Caliper only color available in this deal.

A) 4 piston front red slotted: retail $2595.
CLOSE OUT with DISCOUNT $1946.25 Saving of $648.75

B) 4 piston front red slotted & 4 piston rear red slotted: retail $5190. CLOSE OUT with DISCOUNT $3892.50 Saving of $1297.50
NOTE: Calibers in front will look a slightly different

C) 6 piston front red slotted & 4 piston rear red slotted: retail $5790. CLOSE OUT with DISCOUNT $4342.50 Saving of $1447.50
NOTE: Calibers in front will look a slightly different

We’ll also drop ship them to you at our actual shipping cost that will have to be determined when processing order.

Contact Rick at 817-571-1101 ph/fax

DO NOT CALL STOPTECH.
These are closeout prices and limited supply.

NOTE: I am not Rick and I am not selling these. If you have questions please call the number above.

I was going to just get the fronts but at this price I went ahead and went with front and rear.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm a Stoptech dealer also, and those special prices are long gone I believe. However, I still strongly believe that Stoptech makes a great product, and the best you can buy for the money.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Big Brakes also

glad to hear you too are thinking about putting big brakes on a C6. I would really also like to do this, but have found there are not too many wheels available that will fit the width of the Big Brakes. I track my C6 in NASA and am seriously looking into this myself. Have you found the wheels that will accept big brakes without putting spacers on them? Today I was just contacted by Scott Main of Forgeline Motorsports and he told me their EV1R style of wheels will work, but I don't know anything more about these.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
glad to hear you too are thinking about putting big brakes on a C6. I would really also like to do this, but have found there are not too many wheels available that will fit the width of the Big Brakes. I track my C6 in NASA and am seriously looking into this myself. Have you found the wheels that will accept big brakes without putting spacers on them? Today I was just contacted by Scott Main of Forgeline Motorsports and he told me their EV1R style of wheels will work, but I don't know anything more about these.
CCWs will clear even 15" BBKs. I have 14" Stoptechs front and rear and have lots of room. 18X10.5 front and 18X13 rear CCW C10s. Definately more reasonably priced than the Forgelines and CCW's customer service is the best. Call and talk to John.

San
Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ Is that CCW's argent silver finish?

Sorry to get off topic.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dfinke23
^^ Is that CCW's argent silver finish?

Sorry to get off topic.
Actually that's "Hyper-black" painted at Enkei's facility. Bright in the light, dark in the dark. Back on topic now.

San
Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Getting a BBK ( except the Wilwood) does require new wheels. CCW C10 or C14 to fit over the claipers

APRacing ( other threads discused ) or StopTech are the top two choices.

Brembo are OK, but you must get the right caliper. Most are just for show.
If you go this route tell the dealer what you are going to be using your car for( Track HPDE use) This makes a big difference in the caliper selection, not just 6 pot or 4 pot.

Stay the heck away from rotors with holes in.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have Brembo Gran Turismos front and rear. Brembo race pads and SRF fluid. I think they do fine. Braking is even and solid. Change the SRF annually. FWIW.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I had posted this a while back, and I think it still holds true....

There are a ton of braking options out there for Corvette's to meet almost anyone's needs.

Well I can say this, picking a brake kit is going to be like picking a dinner plate pattern with your wife. Everyone here has made some excellent points but you have to find what is right for you.

You are not going to go wrong with AP, Brembo, StopTech, Alcon..... You guys see them run NASCAR, F1, ALMS, Speed World Challenge....and they all compete right there with each other, so we are not talking about the difference in a Corvette to a Kia here, all of them make a great product that is going to work better than stock.

We ran StopTech's on our World Challenge cars, and actually developed the ST-60 caliper on Lou's #28 car during the season because we needed more pad, and more force. What you saw us run on our car is the EXACT same kit as what you would buy for your street car. Keep in mind the Brembo kits are not. They are the same company but the Brembo GTR caliper is not the same as the GT kits that you see for sale for your street car. Currently we have Alcon's on our GT2 car as we needed an endurance caliper that can hold a 30mm thick pad, currently StopTech does not offer such a caliper.

So where do you start to figure out what is right for you?

*PRICE* Well price is surely one thing to look at. Find a group of kits that fit in your price range, then start to weed out the ones that do not fit for you and your particular application.

*WHEELS* Everyone has a different caliper design, width and offset. This gives you a wide range of wheel fitments. Narrower calipers such as Wilwood might fit a wider range of wheels, but not have as wide of a brake pad because the caliper is narrow, or to the extreme the Alcon's may not fit any but one or two wheels on the market because the caliper is over a foot wide. Do you want to get new wheels? Sometimes you have to but if there is a kit out there that works with your wheels, then start to narrow your search a bit more.

*PADS* Thicker is always better. Find one that will take the thickest pad that you can get because you are going to get more heat protection as well as more life from one set than what you would with a thinner pads. Again see above for wheel fitment. Also look at replacement pads. Is your favorite pad made for this caliper and how much are replacements going to be? Most of these are going to use a popular shape. The StopTech ST-40 for example is a pretty basic Porsche 993TT pad shape so pads are cheaper and more easily found as where say your 30mm thick Alcon's are not, and are close to 3x the cost.

*ROTORS* Everyone loves drilled but slotted or solids are going to last you the longest. With the Corvette I would highly suggest a floating hat and rotor combo to fight the Corvette's poor wheel bearing design and 'pad knock back'. Brembo has by far the trickest floating design that is quiet for use on the street. Track cars that do not care about a little noise, most of these kits will allow for floating or fixed rotors but maybe with a little bit of noise on the side. Also, again look at replacement rotor costs and do the rotors come with new hardware if you have to replace it as well (most of the time you do). So figure this into your replacement costs. Also look at availability for rotors, and can you easily get new ones?

*ABS* Are you retaining the ABS and stock master cylinders? If so them make sure your kit will work with this. StopTech, Wilwood, and Brembo all make kits designed around this. AP, Alcon, Brembo GTR...these are more race designed kits that were setup with dual master cylinders and bias bars in mind so you can control them more finely.

*USE* Do you need a kit that will run 10hrs without a pad change? Just running 20 min sessions at a local track? While a $25,000 top of the line Alcon kit looks cool and you will be the talk of the paddock do you need something like that to run 3 20min sessions a year? If your going for different and top of the line and have it, then go for it, but on a budget you really don't need that.

For the money, our G-Stop kits will cover most weekend warriors and give you a much larger step up from stock. Past that, then we get into StopTech for those that need a two piece much larger rotor. Again for the money they are a hard setup to beat. Brembo, also has some very nice features for not to much more money.

I am always more than happy to speak one on one with anyone that needs some help deciding on what they need, and what will fix their specific issue that they are having.

We carry, Wilwood, Brembo, StopTech, and can get just about any model of each. Full race calipers are also available on special order basis.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Bahnzii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anthony's post is spot on...

I went with Stoptech's and so far I like them, I only have 4 track days on them while running Cobalt CSR pads.

A few comments: with the Stoptech's you have to grind away some aluminum from the front control arms since the rotors sit more in-board than other BBK's. I did the install myself so it's totally a diy thing if you want.

I am still battling with pad knock-back and may be forced to go to SKF bearings. This is not an inherent problem with Stoptech, as Anthony said, this has more to do with bearing play, so this may be less or more of an issue with other BBK's depending on the amount of float in the rotor design.

If you plan on doing a fair amount of trackdays, no matter which BBK you decide upon, do yourself a favor and add brake ducting from LG, Quantum, etc... they will go a long way in helping to cool the fronts!!

My stoptech logos changed color on my first session even with the Quantum ducts I installed, I can only imagine what color they would be now without the additional ducting
Old 10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,081 Likes on 655 Posts

If you choose to keep your stock wheels and would like to go with Wilwood's, we have some of the best pricing around. Feel free to give us a call, pricing is to low to post.

We also sell and use Stop Tech's, which I use on my own car and love them, but you will need a set of rims.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

dunno what rims you plan to run, but just FYI, the C5Z rear 18x10.5" WILL clear the 6 pot and 4 pot stoptechs with no spacers.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run CCW c10's on the track, but run my stock wheels on the street. A list of brake kits that work with both would be appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Brakes

Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Stoptech's just came in. Wow. Much larger than the stock brakes.
Can't wait to compare them side by side.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
I would suggest that your problem (and what you're describing is definitely a problem) is not your choice of BBK, but your choice of pad. In fact, I would be shocked if you said you're running something other than Hawk.

My brother and I have 2 driver-ed my C6 (ST-60 front, stock rear) for 2 seasons of DE's and TT's on the same pair of Stoptech rotors. That's ONE pair of rotors, 12 weekends of DE and TT. We have had a spare pair of rotors standing by for over a year now, and every weekend we think, this is going to be the weekend they're going to crack.

We are currently on our 4th set of pads.

The secret...Cobalt.

Last edited by FlamingZ06; 10-27-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for all the feedback!

Looks like StopTech brakes are the way to go. I already have 4 of the SKF bearings in anticipation of getting the brakes. I am having a real mental health issue dealing with spending $6K for brakes.

I have already bought 2 shifters trying to save a buck (B&M to MGW), sway bars (Hotschis to Pfadt) and shocks (Bilsteins to Pfadt Coilovers) and I don't want to make the same mistake for a fourth time to save a little money.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Brakes