Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jan Magnussen broke his coccyx

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
psft_alum
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Jan Magnussen broke his coccyx

At the last race of the ALMS Championship at Laguna Seca Jan Magnussen in his Corvette C6R was violently sent into the wall by another competitor at the finishing straight at nearly 200 km/h. Since that Jan has suffered with pains.

The data from the team shows that Jan at Laguna Seca California was subjected to forces measuring up to 52G, which in itself strains the body to extremes and has caused severe pains. Directly after the accident Jan Magnussen was examined at the track medical center and was declared fit. But the pains in the pelvis area that continued made Jan contact Team Denmark for a closer examination that showed a fractured coccyx and the pains from the ribs were caused by bleeding around these. It can’t be treated with anything apart from resting and painkillers for at least 6 weeks before the fracture to the coccyx has healed, so it was fortunate that the crash happened at the last race of the season even though Magnussen has been forced to postpone a couple of important tests.

"I’am still in pain, so I wanted another checkup by a doctor. Naturally my entire body hurts after such a crash, but I continued to suffer these severe pains and now we know why" says Jan Magnussen who still is outraged by having been driven into the wall. "To me and the team it is perfectly clear what happened at the accident and what happened just before that, and I must admit that I’m outraged by that dirty trick."

Old 10-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Can't wait to hear from the Bergmiester defenders.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the offical picture

Randy
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not a "Bergmeister defender" but...

It was not clear if Jan intentionally made a run & dive bomb, intentionally didn't brake enough, or just flat out ran out of talent - in T11 on the last lap - but whatever the reason, he did give Bergie a significant tap that resulted in a big wiggle and delayed throttle application. And in the straight, it was abundantly clear that Jan was going to take FULL advantage of the tap and resulting lift & delay to throttle that it had caused.

I mean, let's face it - he'd already cheated the pit-out blend line and been called on it & forced to relinquish position the previous lap. Jan was being a very bad boy.

Needless to say, the retaliation was clearly intentional and Bergie even said that he returned the favor in post race interviews.

As a pro racer, I understand Bergie's response BUT on the day of that race, my face went pale and I even said out loud that Jan deserved to get some back but THAT was an out of hand / extreme response. A protest would have been the more politically correct approach. I was amazed that there was no official call on the incident post race. No protests were mentioned either.

Now, to Bergie's defense (somewhat), Jan did not have to stay flat out when the Porsche began moving over on him to squeeze him out. In a sense - he kind of PIT'd himself by staying full wood until the two cars were in position to induce a PIT on the Vette.

Let's not forget that that was not only for race position but also driver position in the overall points race.

In my book, it is never ok to forcibly make contact with another race car. $#|+ happens in the course of racing but to intentionally make contact to throw someone off line or cause them to have to give up position is flat out cheating. I'm with Randy P. on that subject.

I like both drivers; they are both decent people and very competitve drivers who always put on a good show. In this case though, the show got a little extreme... I think from both of them.

I wish Jan a speedy recovery!

Last edited by cgh1; 10-27-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 PM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cgh1

It was not clear if Jan intentionally made a run & dive bomb, intentionally didn't brake enough, or just flat out ran out of talent - in T11 on the last lap - but whatever the reason, he did give Bergie a significant tap that resulted in a big wiggle and delayed throttle application. And in the straight, it was abundantly clear that Jan was going to take FULL advantage of the tap and resulting lift & delay to throttle that it had caused.

I mean, let's face it - he'd already cheated the pit-out blend line and been called on it & forced to relinquish position the previous lap. Jan was being a very bad boy.

Needless to say, the retaliation was clearly intentional and Bergie even said that he returned the favor in post race interviews.

As a pro racer, I understand Bergie's response BUT on the day of that race, my face went pale and I even said out loud that Jan deserved to get some back but THAT was an out of hand / extreme response. A protest would have been the more politically correct approach. I was amazed that there was no official call on the incident post race. No protests were mentioned either.

Now, to Bergie's defense (somewhat), Jan did not have to stay flat out when the Porsche began moving over on him to squeeze him out. In a sense - he kind of PIT'd himself by staying full wood until the two cars were in position to induce a PIT on the Vette.

Let's not forget that that was not only for race position but also driver position in the overall points race.

In my book, it is never ok to forcibly make contact with another race car. $#|+ happens in the course of racing but to intentionally make contact to throw someone off line or cause them to have to give up position is flat out cheating. I'm with Randy P. on that subject.

I like both drivers; they are both decent people and very competitve drivers who always put on a good show. In this case though, the show got a little extreme... I think from both of them.

That's got to be the most lucent, coherent, and fair assessment of the incident that I have read on this forum yet. Well said.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the super slowmo I saw the P car's nose drastically dive and it's tail lift, prior to any contact, in turn 11. Has anyone considered that the Porsche momentarily stood on the brakes to check up and force the Corvette to do the same, breaking it's momentum?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by psft_alum

The data from the team shows that Jan at Laguna Seca California was subjected to forces measuring up to 52G, which in itself strains the body to extremes and has caused severe pains.
I would be very interested to know how they measured this acceleration, as there is no way they had an accelerometer on the car capable of that kind of range (+/- 5g is standard issue). With that said, basic kinematics tell us that given a known impact velocity and duration of hit we can calculate the resulting acceleration on the driver during the impact.

In doing some further reading on the subject tonight, this paper seemed a very interesting read:
Human Tolerance and Crash Survivability

It is also interesting to consider that because the fracture was of the Coccyx it is quite possible that the fracture occured not during the initial hit, but on the rebound of Jan's body back into the seat following the impact with the wall.

Very interesting stuff, and the best recovery to Jan
Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
linutux
Pro

So. It's official then...

Jorg is a pain in the ***.

Seriously, I hope Jan recovers quickly and fully so he can kick some coccyx next season.

It would be truly great if the "bad boy" vettes could take the high road and hand them their coccyxes (sp?) anyway.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Looking at the super slowmo I saw the P car's nose drastically dive and it's tail lift, prior to any contact, in turn 11. Has anyone considered that the Porsche momentarily stood on the brakes to check up and force the Corvette to do the same, breaking it's momentum?
I see the same thing and IMHO this is clearly what happened. How else would Jan make up 3 car lengths in one corner? If Jan had been trying to dive bomb the corner as some have suggested he would have hit Bergie in the side corner, not square in the back. Dive bombing also forces you into a wide exit, which did not happen. There is nothing wrong with type of blocking manouver, heck I use to do it to the TZ-250s when I was racing my Ducati. They had better corner speed, I had better corner exit torque. The key is to break the momentum of the guy behind you and to get back on the gas before you get hit by the following vehicle. Jan was so far back, if Bergie had taken the corner the same as he did in the previous laps he would have easily won. Telemetry data would easily clear this up...

For me this is not a Vette/Porsche thing. I have owned both and appreciate them for what they are. This is a rules issue. Did Jan break the rules in the pit lane incident. Yes, a bone head move, and he paid the price. Was there a rule broken in the bump that occured in the last corner? No. Was there a rule violation in the drag race to the finish? Yes. Once the Vette was next to the Porsche, the Porsche should not have kept pushing him to the wall.

Dean
Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by linutux
So. It's official then...

Jorg is a pain in the ***.

Seriously, I hope Jan recovers quickly and fully so he can kick some coccyx next season.

It would be truly great if the "bad boy" vettes could take the high road and hand them their coccyxes (sp?) anyway.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Is this based on just looking at the TV replays? Photos I've seen refute much of what you relate.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here we go again!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Absolutely! I didn't mention it here (maybe because of the Bergie defender thing... I don't know) but I told my wife at the time that Bergie could have totally checked up to do just that - break Jan's momentum. Trust me, this happens a lot in racing... it's a competitive sport

I don't take Bergie to be that sort intentionally personally though. In all fairness, T11 is a VERY slow turn (competes with the Cork Screw for slowest on the track) that requires huge braking. Racing into the turn, it's plausible that he cooked it and had to make an adjustment - if it looks as though the dive is sudden in the last moment.

There are only two people who have the real memory of what happened. And we aint it.

I love racin'!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:06 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Is this based on just looking at the TV replays? Photos I've seen refute much of what you relate.
Yes, as that's my only source for replays and I don't have the race DVR'd. Ironically, when you work in racing, your live sources are fleeting and can be emotional in the moment, so you have to rely on TV for "factual" camera-don't-lie evidence when there. When you're gone to the next thing, there aren't many chances to explore it - it's in the past.

You guys with super-slomo and all that stuff have no doubt much more opportunity to investigate than I. I'm sure you've seen the footage exponentially more than me.

That's why I draw no conclusions and only offer possibilities.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

so I guess hitting the wall had some serious pucker factor to it :o
Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
here we go again!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

We had the P&M team at a club meeting yesterday and they said the measured the impact at about 55g's and to split hairs the GT2 Corvette crossed the finish line first--the front headlight bucket that is. They also were impressed at how well the aluminum frame held up in the wreck.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:57 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

The impact was so great that the windscreen was ejected immediately. Don't remember if they showed that on TV. I was really concerned about Jan's condition until I heard he was "OK" & released from medical.

Whew! Not a ride anyone wants to go on...
Old 10-30-2009, 10:40 PM
MartyZ51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say that the last 4 minutes were intense racing. I'm new to the series and was standing on my feet in my basement yelling at the screen a week after the race. When they did the post race recap I don't think anybody said, "Jan, you should have tried harder and sacrificed the car for position" or "Couldn't you have been more aggressive?"

Amazing competition....

Get notified of new replies

To Jan Magnussen broke his coccyx

Quick Reply: Jan Magnussen broke his coccyx