Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen PDA Event - thanks to Bill Dearborn, Powell Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Watkins Glen PDA Event - thanks to Bill Dearborn, Powell Motorsports

Just wanted to say thanks to Bill Dearborn (my instructor) and all the staff at PDA. Attended their two day event at Watkins Glen and had a great experience. It was my first time at the Glen and although I initially found the track intimidating, Bill's patience and guidance made it very enjoyable. I encourage everyone to take the opportunity to drive the track.

In addition to providing in car guidance, Bill also took the opportunity to take me out in his Z06 which, in his hands, is a very quick, and very smooth ride. Makes me think that I need to get a lot more track days under my belt (and maybe get a Z06…)

As for car prep, Powell Motorsports did a great job getting my 2006 A6 Z51 ready for the track. I already had LG headers, Vararam, COW tune, Cobalt XR2 pads and SRF fluid, but Devon added complete brake ducts, stainless brake lines, pfadt bushings (still has stock Z51 shocks and springs), Z06 oil cooler (the A6 Z51 lacks an oil cooler), transmission cooler, changed all fluids and gave me a more aggressive alignment (-1.0 camber front and back, minimal toe). I also picked up a set of Bridgestone RE-11’s in 265 fronts, 305 rears and mounted them on a set of 2008 split spoke rims.

At the track the car felt very good. Most impressive were the new tires (grip, durability, and smooth ride) but the combination of bushings and alignment were also a good improvement over stock. Brakes held up very well, stayed firm for 8 sessions and just started to feel some taper in the last couple of sessions (that’s on the original rotors with 10,000 miles, total of 4 track days – the pads have 4 track days only). I don’t recommend that you run XR2’s on the street as they squeal a lot. Biggest disappointment was the tranny cooler. Temps got up to 255f which was a slight improvement but after I got faster and stayed in 3rd and 4th gears, temps stayed below 235f.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Ed,
Thanks for the compliment. It is feedback like this that makes it fun to be an instructor.

Bill

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen PDA Event - thanks to Bill Dearborn, Powell Motorsports