Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PFC99/XP8 mix - good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 AM
errance
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PFC99/XP8 mix - good idea?

Car is stock 2007 coupe Z51 on street tires. Over the last 3 HPDE seasons, I have progressed from absolute beginner to intermediate. For brake pads, I went from C6Z51 to Hawk HP+ to C5Z06. I need to find the next level up, especially since I may go to better tires (R888?) soon.

At $115, PFC99 sold by MBS is an attractive option for the front. Unfortunately, PFC rear are only available in Z (not good enough?) or 01 (too good compared to 99 fronts, not cheap).

Many people like the Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo. XP8 seems to be a semi-affordable option and good rear for intermediate HPDE drivers.

I'm thinking about doing PFC99/XP8. Good mix? Bad idea?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

that is quite a front brake bias. Don't really thing those XP8s will balance the PFC99s very well.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by errance
Car is stock 2007 coupe Z51 on street tires. Over the last 3 HPDE seasons, I have progressed from absolute beginner to intermediate. For brake pads, I went from C6Z51 to Hawk HP+ to C5Z06. I need to find the next level up, especially since I may go to better tires (R888?) soon.

At $115, PFC99 sold by MBS is an attractive option for the front. Unfortunately, PFC rear are only available in Z (not good enough?) or 01 (too good compared to 99 fronts, not cheap).

Many people like the Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo. XP8 seems to be a semi-affordable option and good rear for intermediate HPDE drivers.

I'm thinking about doing PFC99/XP8. Good mix? Bad idea?
I have not tried the PFC's yet but I think you have the correct line of thinking.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running that exact combo now.

PFC99 front w/XP-8's on the rear. c5z calipers, SS lines, cooling ducts and RBF 600. Im not a fan of the PFC 99's compared to the XP-10s I was using before. I think they don't have as good of initial bite or modulation as the carbotechs. seems like they trail off too quickly after that initial stomp, you have to brake a little harder for longer to slow down, if that makes sense. that said they also don't seem to work too well with XP-8's in the rear, but I wouldn't fault the PFC 99 pads for that. I found my rear was dancing a good bit while slowing down off the straights.

On the good side, they don't make a lot of noise for street driving, the dust comes off easy and they seem to be pretty rotor friendly. I'm just about done with my front set and didn't have to change rotors at all. usually with carbotechs I get 2.5-3 days out of a set of rotors until they crack on me, pads will last about 3-4 days depending on how brake intensive the track is. I got 4 full days out of a set of PFC-99 pads and rockauto rotors... I think thats a record for me.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 PM
errance
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
that is quite a front brake bias. Don't really thing those XP8s will balance the PFC99s very well.
Do you think PFC99/XP10 would be better? Have you ran that combo?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:23 PM
errance
Pro

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
I'm running that exact combo now.

PFC99 front w/XP-8's on the rear. c5z calipers, SS lines, cooling ducts and RBF 600. Im not a fan of the PFC 99's compared to the XP-10s I was using before. I think they don't have as good of initial bite or modulation as the carbotechs. seems like they trail off too quickly after that initial stomp, you have to brake a little harder for longer to slow down, if that makes sense. that said they also don't seem to work too well with XP-8's in the rear, but I wouldn't fault the PFC 99 pads for that. I found my rear was dancing a good bit while slowing down off the straights.

On the good side, they don't make a lot of noise for street driving, the dust comes off easy and they seem to be pretty rotor friendly. I'm just about done with my front set and didn't have to change rotors at all. usually with carbotechs I get 2.5-3 days out of a set of rotors until they crack on me, pads will last about 3-4 days depending on how brake intensive the track is. I got 4 full days out of a set of PFC-99 pads and rockauto rotors... I think thats a record for me.
Thanks for the great information!

How would you describe your skill level? Do you do a handful of HPDEs/year, or actual racing every weekend?

Do you think the XP10 is better enough to warrant the price difference with the PFC99? Looks like $192 vs $115, which is significant.

Did the XP8 rears work better with XP10 front, or do you just plain dislike XP8 rears in all combinations?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Just read in here in the brake Pad Section:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...post1571223827
Old 05-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you think PFC99/XP10 would be better? Have you ran that combo?
Far worse in fact. Since the XP8 has a larger bite than the PFC99, you wind up with a slight rear brake bias which makes the back end likely to feel fish tailish. Marc (AlwaysinBoost) gave an excellent write up.

If you put XP10 in the rear which has more bite and more torque it will just magnify the problems, since the XP10 grab harder than the XP8.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM
errance
Pro

Originally Posted by Zenak
Far worse in fact. Since the XP8 has a larger bite than the PFC99, you wind up with a slight rear brake bias which makes the back end likely to feel fish tailish. Marc (AlwaysinBoost) gave an excellent write up.

If you put XP10 in the rear which has more bite and more torque it will just magnify the problems, since the XP10 grab harder than the XP8.
Hum... makes sense. And leaves me wondering what rear pad would be a good match for the PFC99 fronts?!?! Anything less powerful than an XP8 would be a street/auto-x pad. I'm worried I'd burn through that too fast.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great information!

How would you describe your skill level? Do you do a handful of HPDEs/year, or actual racing every weekend?

Do you think the XP10 is better enough to warrant the price difference with the PFC99? Looks like $192 vs $115, which is significant.

Did the XP8 rears work better with XP10 front, or do you just plain dislike XP8 rears in all combinations?
I run in the advanced group and I do about 6-8 HPDE's a year, no w2w racing.

I really like the XP-10's. I only tried the 99's cause of the great deal you mentioned. IMO they are worth the price difference.

the xp8's work better with the xp10s up front compared to the 99's, but I think next time I'm going to try xp10s all around to get more rear bias and see if I can cut down on the front pad usage.

If you're thinking about carbotechs you should call them up and tell them the tires you're running, cars weight/power and your skill level and they will recomend a pad for you. everyones opinion is different. for the price of the 99s I think its worth a shot. if you decide you hate them you can always bring them with as a backup pad incase you chew up your race set.

Get notified of new replies

To PFC99/XP8 mix - good idea?

Quick Reply: PFC99/XP8 mix - good idea?