Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To for Trailer Wiring ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:40 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default How-To for Trailer Wiring ??

Is there a thread somewhere with suggestions for wiring connections / routing for a harbor freight tire trailer - maybe ??
(from car to the supplied trailer wiring)

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 05-07-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

The easiest is to tap into the tail lights. I soldered the wires and used heat shrink to cover them. It seems to me that the wire colors were the same on the car as to ones on the trailer kit. I also used plastic loom and tie wraps on the wires down to the plug
Old 05-07-2010, 06:56 PM
H8TOBL8
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
The easiest is to tap into the tail lights. I soldered the wires and used heat shrink to cover them. It seems to me that the wire colors were the same on the car as to ones on the trailer kit. I also used plastic loom and tie wraps on the wires down to the plug
SAME HERE. THE WIRES WERE ALL COLOR CODED CORRECTLY. GOT MY HARNESS AT ADVANCED AUO FOR $8 BUCKS!
Old 05-07-2010, 07:16 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Are you using your C5? The wiring colors are the same in all US cars (yellow, green, brown, black) so matching the trailer wiring won't be a problem. Don't forget to run a ground wire (the white one on the trailer wiring harness to a good ground on the car. Don't try to splice into a ground wire. Just a self-tap screw and a ring terminal.

The problem you may run into is with the turn signal flasher. The OEM flasher is designed to handle only the original current draw for the lights that are on the car. Add another incandescent bulb (trailer lights) and your turn signals will not flash properly. You will get a much higher flash rate and the trailer turn signal will not be very bright at all.

The brake light brightness will be fine as will the 4-way flasher.

There are two solutions. One is to replace the OEM flasher with an electronic unit that will handle more bulbs. The other way is to replace the regular bulbs in the trailer lights with LED bulbs. LED bulbs have very little current draw and will not impact the OEM flasher. That's the way I went when I had a HF trailer that I hauled behind my C4. It was much easier to swap trailer light bulbs compared to getting to the OEM turn signal flasher.....

You can also just get a LED light kit for the trailer. HF has them.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:43 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Are you using your C5? The wiring colors are the same in all US cars (yellow, green, brown, black) so matching the trailer wiring won't be a problem. Don't forget to run a ground wire (the white one on the trailer wiring harness to a good ground on the car. Don't try to splice into a ground wire. Just a self-tap screw and a ring terminal.

The problem you may run into is with the turn signal flasher. The OEM flasher is designed to handle only the original current draw for the lights that are on the car. Add another incandescent bulb (trailer lights) and your turn signals will not flash properly. You will get a much higher flash rate and the trailer turn signal will not be very bright at all.

The brake light brightness will be fine as will the 4-way flasher.

There are two solutions. One is to replace the OEM flasher with an electronic unit that will handle more bulbs. The other way is to replace the regular bulbs in the trailer lights with LED bulbs. LED bulbs have very little current draw and will not impact the OEM flasher. That's the way I went when I had a HF trailer that I hauled behind my C4. It was much easier to swap trailer light bulbs compared to getting to the OEM turn signal flasher.....

You can also just get a LED light kit for the trailer. HF has them.
good stuff.
yes - the C5Z.

Q: where is the best location to pick-up the wiring in the Z ? Someone said I could pick up the wiring behind the license plate ?? Is there a better location ?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:59 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
good stuff.
yes - the C5Z.

Q: where is the best location to pick-up the wiring in the Z ? Someone said I could pick up the wiring behind the license plate ?? Is there a better location ?
take out the tail lights and drop the leads from there
Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Everyones input made that a very quick job.
Thank You !
Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

c4cruiser ... what do you make of this problem ...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1574319135
Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
c4cruiser ... what do you make of this problem ...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1574319135
Bad ground on one of the tail lamps (the one that goes out).
it might be a wire off, connection loose, bad socket or even a bad bulb
Old 06-10-2010, 12:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Bad ground on one of the tail lamps (the one that goes out).
it might be a wire off, connection loose, bad socket or even a bad bulb
The white wire on the trailer harness wire sets (car side and trailer side) is a ground wire. It's best to attach the white wire on the car side to a metal piece. On the C5, use the steel rear bumper bar. Drill a small hole to the horizontal surface, use a ring terminal on the white wire and attach the terminal with a self-tapping screw for the size of the hole you drilled.

On the trailer, do the same thing, Drill hole in the tongue somewhere, attach a ring terminal to the white wire and secure with a self tapping screw.

When you connect the trailer lights to the car, there will be a direct ground between the car frame and the trailer frame. That's the best way to insure a good ground contact.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I paid $60 for a guy to install my wiring and the brake booster control.
From the trailer place near by. Took him 20 - 30 minutes.

Best $60 I spent. :-)

Get notified of new replies

To How-To for Trailer Wiring ??

Quick Reply: How-To for Trailer Wiring ??