Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience using Formula V to add life to used V710's

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone have experience using Formula V to add life to used V710's

Team, looking to see if anyone has experience using Formula V traction treatment to add life to used V710s. Thanks

Last edited by grantar2; 05-10-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

It helps some, but not as much as it did on the older BFG's and Yokohamas. Those tires could be brought back to 99% of new with a treatment and it would pretty much last a day. The 710's don't respond as well to doping...

As with anything, read the directions. Dope the tires during the week and give them at least two days to "dry out" before use. For an autocross, expect the first run to be greasy and once the tires get some heat into them, they will hook up better. Worth it if you aren't running a big time event to get your moneys worth out of a set of tire tires, but if you are running for more than bragging rights put on new meats.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:47 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stuff worked well on my Hoosiers. I had a set that were hard as a rock heat cycled to death and it did bring them back.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Solofast
It helps some, but not as much as it did on the older BFG's and Yokohamas. Those tires could be brought back to 99% of new with a treatment and it would pretty much last a day. The 710's don't respond as well to doping...

As with anything, read the directions. Dope the tires during the week and give them at least two days to "dry out" before use. For an autocross, expect the first run to be greasy and once the tires get some heat into them, they will hook up better. Worth it if you aren't running a big time event to get your moneys worth out of a set of tire tires, but if you are running for more than bragging rights put on new meats.
Solofast, thanks. I am running for fun. I am in a division where a 6 time national champion and family run in my class. I am also a novice. I was able to pick up two sets of wheels for $600 pick up a couple of used V710's and am being given some more in a week or so. I have run my first 4 events including the Pro Solo with my Kumho ECSTA SPT steet tires. Figured old V710's would likely be an improvement over the SPTs which have around 5K miles on them. New rubber isn't in this years budget.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

squirting a little Mineral Spirits inside of old tires helps also, at least briefly.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Old V-710's don't work too bad if you get them hot, even if they aren't doped. I used some that were eons old at a test day just to get the driver up to speed and the cobwebs out, and once they got hot they worked ok. Not like new tires, but not bad. Doping them helps but once you start using them you need to get them hot to work.

In order to get more heat into them faster, start at a lower pressure than is normal for the tire. What I mean by that is, say you want to run at pressures like 28/26 hot. If it isn't a hot day, and you start at that pressure the old tires will just skidder across the surface and won't build up any heat. No grip = no distortion, no distortion = no heat = no grip. If you don't start low you may not have any heat in the tires by the end of three runs with one driver..

Don't be afraid to run your first run at something like 25/23 and your second run at 26/24. That way the tires will get hotter faster and you will get decent grip in your later runs. Two drivers will help that a lot. You have to be a bit careful not to overdrive the soft tires too much, but you need to lean on them some to get some distortion and heat into them. Do it a few times and you will get the hang of it.

Last edited by Solofast; 05-10-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
squirting a little Mineral Spirits inside of old tires helps also, at least briefly.

A while back I literally mopped some old 710s with mineral spirits and they worked like new for a whole event. Next event I just went over them once with a paper towel soaked in spirits and they still worked great for 3 year old tires that were about to cord. Wear old clothes, rubber gloves, and get them on some cardboard or on the grass. The black rubber will ooze off of them till they tack then they get back to hard sticky tires. I just used paper towels to apply the mineral spirits with. I rolled one across the garage before it tacked dry and left a black trail that is still there today.

I tried FV and it seemed to work for about 1 run after hours of multiple applications. BTW it smells like charcoal lighter and the tires just seemed to soak it up. No indication it was softening anything.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all. Heat isn't usually a problem for me. Live in Southern California. Right now upper 60's is cold, race weekends so far have been 70+ and by the time I am ready to use the tires in June we will be in the 80's +

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have experience using Formula V to add life to used V710's

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience using Formula V to add life to used V710's