Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern VA guys...towing help.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:44 PM
aspeters
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northern VA guys...towing help.

Hi gang,

I'm planning to head to VIR for the NASA weekend July 23-25th. With the number of issues the C4 has had to date, I'm a bit apprehensive about a 4 hour drive to Danville - and more nervous about something happening down there and not getting home.

So, starting to think about trailering, but have no tow vehicle, and no trailer. My Arlington condo also doesn't allow trailers.

Wondering who out there may have an extra tow vehicle and/or trailer, and be willing to loan/rent to a responsible guy for the weekend...?

Also, your thoughts on the Uhaul option or other creative ways to get from Arlington to VIR and back...

Thanks gang,
Andy
#18, Black C4
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My personal opinion is someone would have to be a real good friend to lend a trailer & tow vehicle. Second problem is not many if any have a spare tow vehicle & trailer. Third by the time you rented tow vehicle and trailer for a 3 day event it is cheaper to pay for a 4 hour flatbed haul if you need one. Gamble and get some numbers and rates in advance. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:31 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Default Towing

Here are a few things I've learned being without a tow vehicle a few times.

1) Enterprise rents trucks. They are not luxurious, but they work.
2) borrowing or renting an open trailer is usually not hard, and TONS of people involved with the NVCC have them.
3) Your last option, bum a ride!
3a) I have a 2 car trailer that I might be able to use for the right price assuming I plan ahead. email me for details.

I'm sure you can get down to VIR with no problems.. NASA is a great community. I once heard of a car blowing up and a guy loaded it up on his trailer and gave the keys to his Spec E30 to him...
Old 05-11-2010, 02:33 PM
aspeters
Advanced

Thanks to you both for the tips. Haven't interacted much with the NVCC community; I wonder how to get introduced into the group. Wouldn't mind renting the truck/SUV if I could find the trailer to use...

The two-car option seems worth exploring.

I'll admit its a bit tough living close to a crowded city like DC yet in an activity that demands lots of large objects and space...

Cheers,
Andy
Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aspeters
Thanks to you both for the tips. Haven't interacted much with the NVCC community; I wonder how to get introduced into the group. Wouldn't mind renting the truck/SUV if I could find the trailer to use...

I'll admit its a bit tough living close to a crowded city like DC yet in an activity that demands lots of large objects and space...

Cheers,
Andy
Google it, join the forum and have fun. I got involved via the "vette gang" that instructs at events. While I'm not an official member, I still go to events and have a good time.

As for the two car, yea, I'd have you drive out to BFE to load the car up. I'm not driving a 2 car trailer in the "city." Been there, done that, and will NEVER do it again.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeters

Cheers,
Andy
The NVCC has a very active contingent of HPDE and competition guys - good group. urtoslo used to lurk around the forum (here and C-4) . Try to PM him or go to the NVCC web site and reach out to the competition governor or one of the club officers. Depending on where your located, the Gaithersburg Club also has a good group of HPDE guys. I'm sure you'll find some of both groups at Summit Point during any given track events. I've found the track guys to open and friendly wherever you go - good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Northern VA guys...towing help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Northern VA guys...towing help.