Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Brake fluid and Dealer problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP - Brake fluid and Dealer problem

My old dealer is now gone. The new one will not flush my brake lines with the SRF becasue it is a DOT 4 - not 3. they claimed they called Chev and they do not recommend DOT4 becasue it might damage the brake seals I have been running on SRF (2 -3 HPDE weekends per year) for three years now without an issue.

Is the dealer right?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kermooni
My old dealer is now gone. The new one will not flush my brake lines with the SRF becasue it is a DOT 4 - not 3. they claimed they called Chev and they do not recommend DOT4 becasue it might damage the brake seals I have been running on SRF (2 -3 HPDE weekends per year) for three years now without an issue.

Is the dealer right?

No the dealer is dead wrong. The SRF has been in hundreds of vettes over the years.

We can do it here, but it's a bit of a drive. Bruce @ Village will do it, can't think of too many people that way that you can trust.

Randy
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Time to learn how to do it your self. Dealers are just

If it is not in the manuals, they wont do it
Old 05-13-2010, 12:20 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

brake work is one of the things where peace of mind definitely outweights the hassle as far as doing it yourself goes.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:00 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Time to learn how to do it your self. Dealers are just

If it is not in the manuals, they wont do it

find some one to show you how!

take the time and see Randy
Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

they are confusing DOT4 with DOT 5.......shows you how good they are....
Old 05-13-2010, 02:44 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

My dealer's done it a couple of times for me in the past - no questions asked. I just provided the SRF for them. Generally though I just do it myself.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:05 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had a dealer do it for me too with SRF when I wanted a complete flush.

The problem I had wasn't they won't do it, but they won't give me back what they didn't use. They told me it is done my a machine and once the fluids in it they can't get it out without doing a bleed or flush. I was a bit skeptical of that...and well, pissed bc I knew I gave them an extra as a just in case they somehow F'd up and needed more; fastest ~$90 I think I ever lost :o
Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by longdaddy
brake work is one of the things where peace of mind definitely outweights the hassle as far as doing it yourself goes.
1000% when it comes to brakes I am the only person I trust.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:14 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
I've had a dealer do it for me too with SRF when I wanted a complete flush.

The problem I had wasn't they won't do it, but they won't give me back what they didn't use. They told me it is done my a machine and once the fluids in it they can't get it out without doing a bleed or flush. I was a bit skeptical of that...and well, pissed bc I knew I gave them an extra as a just in case they somehow F'd up and needed more; fastest ~$90 I think I ever lost :o
And if they did'nt complete flush out the $ 0.99 per pint DOT 3 stuff in the "machine"- they mixed your "gold" priced hi tec fluid with the cheapo stuff and pumpted into your car....

That's what happened to me- that's how I know- the only good way is to have them complete flush their machine or do it yourself .....
Old 05-13-2010, 04:35 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by zcobra1
And if they did'nt complete flush out the $ 0.99 per pint DOT 3 stuff in the "machine"- they mixed your "gold" priced hi tec fluid with the cheapo stuff and pumpted into your car....

That's what happened to me- that's how I know- the only good way is to have them complete flush their machine or do it yourself .....
Yup. Unfortunately I didn't know that until after when I wanted my last quart back..
Old 05-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Get some speed bleeders form speedbleeder.com and 2 motive brake fluid catch bottles. Flushing your brakes is a joke. Doing an ABS bleed requires GM TechII tools.

But assuming you do your own flush regularly that is never an issue.

If you are doing HPDE a few times a year and not checking your own brakes, you are insane!

Stick to the Motul 600 you can easily get them for about $13 a quart if you look around. You will never need better than fresh Motul for the short durations you will be out there in HPDE (this aint Rolex 24 man) and its far cheaper than some of those crazy $30 a quart fluids.

Look at the fluid #s here, and some hints on your brake bleeding.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
they are confusing DOT4 with DOT 5.......shows you how good they are....

Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 AM
kermooni
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
No the dealer is dead wrong. The SRF has been in hundreds of vettes over the years.

We can do it here, but it's a bit of a drive. Bruce @ Village will do it, can't think of too many people that way that you can trust.

Randy
Oh I miss the guys at Grossman Chev in Burnsville. Great mech there worked on my car and I have never had one issue even at RA. Now the General shut down last week and I have to deal with not-so-good but still nice folks at Lupient Chev
The Grossman shop looked like a surgical suite. This other place is a dump.

Time to roll up the sleeves ...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Oh I miss the guys at Grossman Chev in Burnsville. Great mech there worked on my car and I have never had one issue even at RA. Now the General shut down last week and I have to deal with not-so-good but still nice folks at Lupient Chev
The Grossman shop looked like a surgical suite. This other place is a dump.

Time to roll up the sleeves ...
I understand 100 percent. Matter of fact, I drive to Saint Louis Park to get tires mounted. Yea I know it's 40 miles there and 40 back. Often I end up making the trip twice. Once to drop off and once to pick up. 160 miles to mount tires, when there is 4 machines right here in Buffalo......

Speaking of me going into the big city. I could swing down there for a bleeding party Saturday AM.

Randy
Old 05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I had a dealer call me once all concerned...he told me someone put window washer fluid in for brake fluid...I was running ATE Super Blue at the time. The best part, he didnt beleive me that it was ok.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:47 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Randy
I'm completely with Randy on this one. Go to Village. I live walking distance from Lupient, but have not had the best of luck with them. Village treats you much better and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP - Brake fluid and Dealer problem

Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand your point in wanting to trust who you farm this job out to, but flushing the brake fluid is so easy....and cheap...and quick...and hard to mess up...and we'll all help if you have any questions...
Old 05-16-2010, 11:20 PM
kermooni
Racer

I understand 100 percent. Matter of fact, I drive to Saint Louis Park to get tires mounted. Yea I know it's 40 miles there and 40 back. Often I end up making the trip twice. Once to drop off and once to pick up. 160 miles to mount tires, when there is 4 machines right here in Buffalo......

Speaking of me going into the big city. I could swing down there for a bleeding party Saturday AM.

Randy
Randy,
Do you know what happened to the Corvette mechanics at Grossman?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Randy,
Do you know what happened to the Corvette mechanics at Grossman?
I don't know anybody at Grossman

Randy

Quick Reply: HELP - Brake fluid and Dealer problem