Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers

Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Superbee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coilovers

Has anyone switched or upgraded their coil over set up?
Specifically going from the good entry level stuff to the more expensive Moton or Penske set ups.
Asking because I have a set now and find insufficient shock travel even though the the car is only lowered 1/2 inch. I regularly hit the bump stops. Car is a C6 Z used mostly for HPDE on Hoosiers.

Thx
Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you have now? Not sure if more $$$$ means more travel.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:29 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A bit more spring rate might help as long as within the range of the damping of the shocks.

Not fun to bottom out, especially at speed!

Rick
Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
A bit more spring rate might help as long as within the range of the damping of the shocks.

Not fun to bottom out, especially at speed!

Rick
are you all out of shock preload adjustment? Can you not go to stiffer springs?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Superbee
Instructor

I have a Bilstein coil setup which are non adjustable. I am thinking a stiffer spring but need to find out what they were built with.
Concern is there really is what I think is very little shock travel. Looks like at most four inches, not sure what this translates to at the wheel. The car is lowered 1/2 inch and runs out of travel, stiffer springs could mean less traction, do other manufacturers have shorter main bodies?

Thx
Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superbee
Concern is there really is what I think is very little shock travel. Looks like at most four inches, not sure what this translates to at the wheel. The car is lowered 1/2 inch and runs out of travel, stiffer springs could mean less traction, do other manufacturers have shorter main bodies?
How are you checking travel, by the way?

Stock C6 Z51 shocks:
  • Front shock is 17" from frame mount to T-bar. 11 3/8" body, 5 1/4" stroke, 30mm (1 1/5") bump rubber
  • Rear shock is 17.75" from frame mount to lower clevis eyes. 11 1/4" Body, 5" stroke, 30mm (1 1/5") bump rubber

My DRM Bilstein coilovers are shorter, with less stroke (but no bump rubber)... but the spring rate is much higher than stock (although less than some other coilovers on the market). I haven't noticed any bottoming out. I'm about 4 3/8" to the front jacking puck holes, and a little higher in the rear... which is a little more than a 1/2" drop from stock.

The only non-adjustable Bilsteins I know of are DRM and LGM and I believe both use Hyperco springs so the rates should be scratched in to the ends of the springs.

As a complete rumor: I've heard LGM has two versions of their Bilstein coilovers, one that is much shorter than the other, but I've never confirmed it.

Motion ratios are ~0.65 front and ~0.6 (average) in the rear. So 4" of stock travel is very roughly 6" of wheel travel in the front, and 6.5" in the rear.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

One more thing to note. A shorter/longer body may not help if you can't also change the piston rod length... the piston & rod have to go somewhere when it enters the shock body. And don't forget there's some volume taken up by the shock oil and gas...
Old 05-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Superbee
Instructor

Originally Posted by gkmccready
How are you checking travel, by the way?

Stock C6 Z51 shocks:
  • Front shock is 17" from frame mount to T-bar. 11 3/8" body, 5 1/4" stroke, 30mm (1 1/5") bump rubber
  • Rear shock is 17.75" from frame mount to lower clevis eyes. 11 1/4" Body, 5" stroke, 30mm (1 1/5") bump rubber

My DRM Bilstein coilovers are shorter, with less stroke (but no bump rubber)... but the spring rate is much higher than stock (although less than some other coilovers on the market). I haven't noticed any bottoming out. I'm about 4 3/8" to the front jacking puck holes, and a little higher in the rear... which is a little more than a 1/2" drop from stock.

The only non-adjustable Bilsteins I know of are DRM and LGM and I believe both use Hyperco springs so the rates should be scratched in to the ends of the springs.

As a complete rumor: I've heard LGM has two versions of their Bilstein coilovers, one that is much shorter than the other, but I've never confirmed it.

Motion ratios are ~0.65 front and ~0.6 (average) in the rear. So 4" of stock travel is very roughly 6" of wheel travel in the front, and 6.5" in the rear.
Well it appears I have the long body shocks which is where the problem starts. I have been chasing this for a few days and have confirmed these older units are not really meant for a lowered car.
Question now is what to upgrade to?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Hm. Lots of folks run lower than stock ride height on stock shocks. How long is long body?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Superbee
Instructor

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Hm. Lots of folks run lower than stock ride height on stock shocks. How long is long body?
Not sure but I suspect about one inch.
I measured travel with an O-ring on the shaft which ended up pounded into the bottom bump stop
I'd like to hear how satisfied anyone is with their Penske or Moton units?
What's good or could be better?

Get notified of new replies

To Coilovers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coilovers