Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enjoyed my 2nd HPDE @ Motorsport Ranch 3.1mi BIG track in Cresson, TX

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enjoyed my 2nd HPDE @ Motorsport Ranch 3.1mi BIG track in Cresson, TX

A little about my car:
05' Z51 6pd Coupe.
Corsa Xtreme Cat-back
Halltech Venom Intake
Hawk HP+ pads
SS G-stop lines
Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid
Recently put Royal Purple Oil, and Syncromax in as well.
Also did a coolant flush and put about 1/3 coolant with the rest water and one bottle of royal purple Ice additive.

Over the past weekend i participated in the Driver's Edge event out at MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, TX (about a half hour outside of the Dallas/Fort Worth area. http://www.motorsportranch.com/3.1-road-course.cfm

With the draw for the event they ran the 3.1mi BIG track which was an experience in itself. I got to run the 1.7mi track configuration in Feb and had more fun than i knew what to do with and this time was even better.

The progression i felt i made within each event so far has been substantial. I even got to run my last session without and instructor. I got out in the front of the pack and never looked back. It was an amazing experience just me and the track!!!!
This course has just about every turn type except a really long straight away for high speeds. Between the elevation changed on the back side, the fast 45* turn to lead into the 1.7. Its a great track.

The car held up great. Everything was smooth and predictable for me. Had a few recovery's mid turn but nothing too out of control. The car does so much more than I could have hoped for and I am probably only getting about 80% if im lucky out of the car.
Fluid temps were very much within range so i was please there. Oil got up to about 260* on my last session i think when i was running hard. Coolant never really topped 212* i think so that was great to see.
Tires were near the end of thier life if you read a previous post, and now i nearly have a slick on my rear right, but we had no rain so it was perfect. I ran the tires cold around the city at about 30 or so. After the last session or two on the second day I had them heating up to about 38 and they felt pretty good. I'm not expert so maybe a little less pressure would give me a greater contact patch but that comes with practice and tweaking.

I'm 26 driving a hell of a car in the C6 and enjoying every minute of track time. Few things i can think of better than what i got to enjoy this weekend.

All i can say is this weekend was a blast, and just waiting to get to my next event.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:37 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

This is what these cars were designed for! Sounds like you're hooked .
Old 05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

I will try to post a few pictures and a drive by video of my friend and I at the track yesterday.

Hooked is an understatement. I am just trying to decide on my replacement combo (street and 3-4 HPDEs a year) tires to get next.

I turned my right rear tire nearly into a slick. Thanks for the advice for whoever told me i could run the tire near the wearbars. They were great for me having only 2 events under my belt.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Awesome man.. I was at MSR 2 weekends ago with Apex and I also had a blast. Post up pics/video when you can!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Default Here are some pics and a link to a youtube video

Here are a few pics from the fence my friend took. Sorry they are far away. Thats why i uploaded the originals so hopefully they are big enough for you all to see.

Also here is a video he got of me and my friend in the M5 coming around Big Bend. Last session of the day and boy did we NOT want it to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccrFJUiC0SQ

I can't wait to go back in July.

WHAT TIRES TO GET IS THE QUESTION FACING ME NOW
Old 05-17-2010, 10:14 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans05C6
I will try to post a few pictures and a drive by video of my friend and I at the track yesterday.

Hooked is an understatement. I am just trying to decide on my replacement combo (street and 3-4 HPDEs a year) tires to get next.

I turned my right rear tire nearly into a slick. Thanks for the advice for whoever told me i could run the tire near the wearbars. They were great for me having only 2 events under my belt.
NT-05s (or even NT-01s) for street tires with some track driving. for full track driving, I recommend Hoosier A6s
Old 05-23-2010, 12:08 AM
bobk469101
Advanced

Default hooked

man im happy to hear you had a blast i was there but had some car problems with my car . look me up sometime i love that track . im going to try and go to track attack next week if my trailer and car get fixed . my car was the silver and red t1
Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Yeah, the 3.1 is a blast! TDE is a great organization, also. Only real "gotcha" area (at least for me) is the transition out of Rattlesnake towards the tire wall. Caught me there once when I got distracted from hitting a curb a bit too hard and made it closer to the wall than I desired!

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Enjoyed my 2nd HPDE @ Motorsport Ranch 3.1mi BIG track in Cresson, TX

Quick Reply: Enjoyed my 2nd HPDE @ Motorsport Ranch 3.1mi BIG track in Cresson, TX