Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructor clinics

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Default Instructor clinics

I did my first clinic in 1997, already having been racing many years, and just did the PCA National clinic. Enjoyed both, although the styles were different.

My original clinic was with a business, and while safety etc was obvious stressed, there was a lot of emphasis on meeting the customers goals (whether that was just fun, race training, or just blasting down the straits).

PCA seemed to be more rigid, as you might expect, and stresses their "3-minute interview" process and I get the impression that learning the line was of top priority (even if that wasn't necessarily what the student wanted). The PCA clinic was also quite redundant at times, and spent a LOT more time discussing the interview than actually what to do IN the car.

I've done other clinics in between, Mentored many times as well (including actually mentoring at the PCA clinic, since I was the most experienced candidate), and obviously you pick up skills along the way.

I was just curious if anyone had any great Clinic stories, found advice that really helped them, or even run into advice that they disagree with???

I really enjoy working with novices, trying to instill good habits up front, instead of breaking bad habits from prior events, and regardless find instructing pretty rewarding.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I was just curious if anyone had any great Clinic stories,
When I did it with NASA, I took drivinhard (my right seat "Instructor in training") through the gravel trap at T10A at Rd Atl at about 60mph.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You made it all the way through? I almost hit a parked car during a red flag drill at the PCA clinic.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

5yrs of instructing, and Tim almost failed the intro course.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jason
5yrs of instructing, and Tim almost failed the intro course.

Tru - dat!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

this PCA event was geared completely toward instructing novices. All of the on-track mentoring sessions were geared toward the 3-minute interview and basic in-car communications. Other than one 2-lap session where the candidate was supposed to give orientation runs, they (we) didn't even drive at all.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

.....PCA seemed to be more rigid, as you might expect, and stresses their "3-minute interview" process and I get the impression that learning the line was of top priority (even if that wasn't necessarily what the student wanted). The PCA clinic was also quite redundant at times, and spent a LOT more time discussing the interview than actually what to do IN the car.

Funny timing on your post. Last month I had a student that was really uptight the first session and then he began to relax and enjoy the lapping sessions. He told me he had a really bad experience with an instructor that had just finished an instrucor's course and was really hammering on him. That is a shame that people are subjected to that kind of instruction. I offer guidance but never mandate. I do not think we must make race drivers of students. I do think we owe them a good time on the track as much as possible since they paid good money to enjoy themselves. Oh yeah, it was an instructor fresh out of PCA that had intimidated him. Of course, it could have just been that particular fellow was 'On a Mission'.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I feel the student is a "customer" and as long as they are safe, and follow the rules, the "customer is always right".

It's funny, I've never pushed my students, and never had one want to be pushed. By giving them clear instructions, positive feedback, and then freedom (as they can handle it), most end up learning VERY quickly without any pushing.

I've seen pushy/intimidating instructors, and I think it is counterproductive. I agree some instructors seems to have their own goals set for their students
Old 05-19-2010, 12:51 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I went through the BMW clubs certification program, which I understand is difficult to be accepted into. I sneaked in while they were looking at E46 **** Anyway, it is a three day hazing ritual where you are assigned a mentor. You spend substantial time over two days in the right seat instructing your mentor. There are several drills that they put you through; you do not get to see the agenda. My guy gravitated towards the loose cannon...after three years he was, by far, the worse student I ever had.

There is a bunch of classroom work and role playing that includes the student interview; the interview is mostly asking about experience, car prep/safety questions, student prep/considerations, setting expectations with respect to the first session, and clearly establishing the instructor/student relationship.

Next is a driving test to make sure you can demonstrate good car control, track etiquette, while describing what you are doing and answering questions. The final exam is getting handed off to another mentor that you have no experience with to simulate the fresh student experience.

The lying bastards do all kinds of stuff like leave the sunroof barely cracked open, something loose in the trunk or glove box, one clasp on the harness unfastened, etc. On the track they make subtle and blatant errors that you are expected to detect quickly enough to issue a clear, calm corrective action...which they don't always obey and require sharper commands to remedy the situation.

The Mentors/Instructors tally all of your scores and discuss you overall level of preparedness and render a final judgment. If you pass you get a student the following day; if you are deemed close to ready you get a work plan to execute on over the next several months to a year. Mentors are available to work with you if need them. After you demonstrate progress against your plan, you may request a re-evaluation.

My class was the largest they ever had, 16 instructor candidates, with the largest graduating class - 7. I am relatively fresh meat when it comes to instructing, however I believe that the BMW program gave me the tools I needed to safely begin instructing students while providing them value as well.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been through the NASA, THSCC/TZC, PCA and BMW Instructor clinics.

The BMW clinic is by far the most intense and best. Interestingly enough I have been thru it as a mentor but never as a student. I found myself hanging around for the classroom portion with the students as well as the mentor down load sessions because there was a lot of good information to learn. We did really throw some weird stuff at the candidates. It is all scripted but some of us really got into the roles!! One mentor took his guy off into the gravel pit on the hairpen at Barber. When I was doing the final check with another candidate I was driving her car. Everytime I tried to go right the car felt like it was coming out from under me. As we went into the back chicane I wound up going completely off track left. She was very calm and talked me thru. Once we got into the pits we found she had a split radiator hose and we had antifreeze spraying under the left rear tire!! I told he if she could stay that calm and talk someone thru a pretty quick off while they were driving HER car she could handle the right seat just fine!

The THSCC/TZC is a close second in my mind but I did have Mr. Skeen as my mentor! When my wife did her clinic with THSCC/TZC she had the student from H--L that weekend. She got a standing ovation in the Sunday morning instructors meeting for how she had been dealing him!

I did the PCA clinic with Timz06 and Z06Cool. They had us doing some strange things on track to demonstrate that we could handle a car well. We were at Roebling and one drill was to get the car loose in 5 and recover using throttle. We were all trying to pass the course so we were cautious and did not carry enough speed into the corner to really get it sideways except for Timz06 who hung it out in a sideways drift, recovered and went on. He did not get picked as an instructor initally nor did I. Z06Cool did and went to bat for us to get final check rides. Timz06 had already loaded up so he borrowed Z06Cools car and took the chief instructor out. After he came in the chief instructor spoke with me and said the reason I was not picked was that I could not heel-toe downshifting. I told him I could but I drive a C5Z06 and at Roebling we don't need to shift to be fast!! He then said I would be accepted if I could show him I could heel-toe. I had already put on my street tires so another check ride in Z06Cool's car. I could not find him but hey the keys were in the car so off I went. Thanks Khoi!!!!

One goal in the good clinics is to really put you thru more than you should ever have to deal with in a real situation. That way you are prepared for the worst and have the tools to handle the problem.

The best reward for instructing is seeing the light come on for a student and that big track grin!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My earlier clinics, Car Guys and a BMWC Clinic (pre hard card days), was similar to what you guys describe.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I feel the student is a "customer" and as long as they are safe, and follow the rules, the "customer is always right".

It's funny, I've never pushed my students, and never had one want to be pushed. By giving them clear instructions, positive feedback, and then freedom (as they can handle it), most end up learning VERY quickly without any pushing.

I've seen pushy/intimidating instructors, and I think it is counterproductive. I agree some instructors seems to have their own goals set for their students
I was a "customer" for many years. Started instructing last year and David and I could be twins when it comes to instructing.
I had a student at CMP that during a download session I explained about going off at the end of turn 14. I emphasized it a couple more times, even told the story of my off there with a student in the car. The last session of the last day he went off near the end of the exit gators and tried to whip it right back on. Mr Toads wild ride, when we got stopped I calmly explained what happend and why the car did what it did so he would remember "straighten out the wheel, don't try to get right back on the track".
I took the NASA Instructor clinics and I would say even though level 1 lets you instruct its not nearly enough. I had lots of folks that instructed me over the years so I had a lot to draw on. I then took level 2 twice just to get exposure to more scenarios. I do need to find a BMW clinic and take their instructor course - it sounds like it would be very educational.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The best thing that has helped me the most is thinking back to the bad instructors I had 10 yrs ago, and doing the opposite.

Frame it all around the student's short and long term goals, and go have fun.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to as many as you can. The Carolina Region PCA course was quite good - even though I was paired with Wally and Butt Ugly.

Must not have enough experience for BMW....guess I need to work on that...
Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

[quote=varkwso;1574129380

must not have enough experience for bmw....guess i need to work on that...[/quote]

:d:d:d
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
billy25us
Racer

I did the same instuctor clinic as you Dave last year and we spent half the time role playing on the track. I guess they changed that this year. I am sorry my clutch line ruptured mid day as I was going to see if I could talk Marty into letting you role play as the intructor in my car. Great opp for free pro instruction. I was wondering why I never saw you guys on the track.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

We had 3 sessions, but it was 90% practicing the 3-minute interview, then in-car practice IF time allowed. We finally had a little extra time during the 3rd session......and I had a flat tire!

Get notified of new replies

To Instructor clinics

Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 PM
m3to335
Pro

Originally Posted by Hazman

I have been through the NASA, THSCC/TZC, PCA and BMW Instructor clinics...

The THSCC/TZC is a close second in my mind but I did have Mr. Skeen as my mentor! When my wife did her clinic with THSCC/TZC she had the student from H--L that weekend. She got a standing ovation in the Sunday morning instructors meeting for how she had been dealing him! ...

One goal in the good clinics is to really put you thru more than you should ever have to deal with in a real situation. That way you are prepared for the worst and have the tools to handle the problem.

The best reward for instructing is seeing the light come on for a student and that big track grin!
I had an opportunity to do a clinic with THSCC/TZC and overall it was a great experience. Sorry, I cant comment on PCA or the others. Interestingly enough there was a lot of focus on adjusting your instruction style depending on the "type" of student you were working with. Sort of a mini DISC assesment.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM
jpobrien
Instructor

I did the PCA national program last summer. Same experience as documented below.

Our PCA region is putting together a more technical instructor training program with the Mid-Ohio School later this summer. I am signed up for that and looking forward to it. I think they are rotating in 3 groups - classroom, on-track, and at corner stations. Should be fun.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I know you will all be RELIEVED to know that I am now and official, PCA National Instructor! I'm sure you will all sleep better tonight.........

Quick Reply: Instructor clinics