Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for HPDE/TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tires for HPDE/TT

I am looking to start running HPDEs later this year and hopefully get into TTA next season. Since I don't plan on being super competitive at first and will mainly run regional events, I was wondering what tire people would recommend if I am just getting track time. It seems like 275s are the option to run in TTA so with that in mind, any advice on what tires would work for some street driving and could survive a decent number of session on the track? These will probably end up being my rain tires until I get more serious and pick up a set of Hoosier wets or something along those lines. I figure I'll stick with 275s even though non-DOT R Comps would be fewer points just because I can use the same wheels and only have to buy them once. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think Dunlop has the star spec in 275/35/18, that would be a decent rain tire (I have tried them in the rain, and they did very well)

I have a set of 285/35/18 Nitto R2's that do well in the wet when they are full tread. Also a good arrive and drive tire.

With a street tire you have some points to spend so you can run 305-295 sizes as well.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For HPDE I would run whatever is cheap and easy to find from the race guys. I use Hoosier R6s in a 315x17 because they are so easy to find in a scrub on this forum. Sure they might be a few seconds off for the race guys, but they still have plenty of life left for my DE use where my main goal is just seat time.

I would suggest buying a set of rims that you plan on using for TTA, but then try and buy up some cheap scrub tires off here to just get seat time in at first. No sense in wasting a new set of tires when your trying to get up to speed in DEs.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:22 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I think Dunlop has the star spec in 275/35/18, that would be a decent rain tire (I have tried them in the rain, and they did very well)

I have a set of 285/35/18 Nitto R2's that do well in the wet when they are full tread. Also a good arrive and drive tire.

With a street tire you have some points to spend so you can run 305-295 sizes as well.
Yeah, I know I can run a bigger tire or have more points for mods in TTA but I figure if I'm not on the competitive tire set up, I may as well save money by just using the wheels I plan on running with the good tires (like WBHighwind said).

I was thinking about the Dunlops since I have a lot of experience on those. How well do they hold up to high speed courses?

Any preference to 17s or 18s? Seems like the price difference isn't too bad and with 18s, I could eventually switch to either the 275s or the 255s like mentioned in some other threads.

Good suggestion on the scrubs. Can you get sizes smaller than 315 and if so where?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:50 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would consider running 305 street tires in TTB, instead of 255 A6s (or to compare to A6s).
But I can't find any hi-perf 305s. Do they exist?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

for a quick tire reference check the tires section here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

Get notified of new replies

To Tires for HPDE/TT

Quick Reply: Tires for HPDE/TT