Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: Driver dives to escape burning Exige at N-Ring 24HR

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Video: Driver dives to escape burning Exige at N-Ring 24HR

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/17/v...4hr/#continued

Last edited by Short-Throw; 05-18-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just never know when something strange is going to happen. That's why I always wear my full face helmet, nomex 3 layer driving suit, nomex socks, shoes and gloves (though sometimes I'm lazy about the nomex helmet liner). After this video I don't think I will be lazy any more.

I watched a Camaro at a local event catch fire and burn to the ground from an electrical fault. Both occupants exited through the passanger door.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That lotus is done.

You know, we fly with a flight suit that's just one layer of nomex. But they are betting on the case of just a flash fire and not a sustained one to the cockpit. It seems as though from the last couple fires Ive seen the driver has had to endure something much more then a flash fire to exit the vehicle. Were screwed if were in the air in that regard because our helmets aren't full faced and we don't wear any nomex above the collar. Im sure one layer would protect to more then a flash fire, but not for long. It is important to note the synthetics that you wear under your nomex because just the heat will melt that to your skin even if the nomex stays intact. Or so they say in our safety briefs since I have yet to be in a fire nor do I hope to be...

Get notified of new replies

To Video: Driver dives to escape burning Exige at N-Ring 24HR

Quick Reply: Video: Driver dives to escape burning Exige at N-Ring 24HR