Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS2 used for street, solo, HPDE, 2-3 year old new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:32 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PS2 used for street, solo, HPDE, 2-3 year old new tires?

I found a deal on some new PS2's but they are a 2-3 years old and wondering if any serious degradation would result from them sitting in a basement that long. I know race tires need to be sealed up and even then would probably useless that old but street tires, not sure.

Mostly this is for the street, once in a while some track stuff but I have a dedicated track car so the Vert, once the roll bar is done, is just to goof off in once in awhile or I would have a set track wheels and tires.

Thanks
Rick
Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

we got 5 year old ps2 on the street wheels for the porsche, they work fine.

wouldn't worry too much about 2-3 year old ones. be careful if you do track them - they get greasy if you overheat them and the grip goes away very fast. if i run ps2s on the track, I try to do shorter sessions or dial it back after about 15 minutes.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Hmmm, if this is typical for the PS2 to overheat so easily maybe I better reconsider and possibly stay with the NTO5, seems to be doing pretty well for those using them so far.

More digging around to do and I got the date on those new tires, made in 05, going to pass on them.

Thanks
Rick
Old 05-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

PS2 once they hit about 5 years old are useless for performance events. If you do use PS2 for a performance event they get hard very hard. And then you oversteer and understeer at the same. Makes it great to learn car control, but not so great for going fast. Skid pad track is what I called it on my old PS2. They grease BAD above 36 lbs FYI, so check your pressures asap in the pits ever time you come off the track. They heat up really fast and HOLD the heat in cooling very slowly.

Good street tire, crappy track event tire IMHO.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

How about new or nearly new? I know shaved tires are best, etc but these are primarily street tires for our use and sometimes track, etc.....so I do not want to shave them if new.

If I was that much into the track on this car I would just get track wheels and tires which I might anyway in the future.

Thanks
Rick
Old 05-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

read here on the tires section:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
How about new or nearly new? I know shaved tires are best, etc but these are primarily street tires for our use and sometimes track, etc.....so I do not want to shave them if new.

If I was that much into the track on this car I would just get track wheels and tires which I might anyway in the future.

Thanks
Rick
for an occasional track day, they will do just fine as long as you are paying attention to how they are respinding to heat build-up. i don't know how well NT05 does in the rain or colder temps - PS2 handles those conditions very well, which is what makes it such a good street tire in high perf summer grade.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:15 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks, I had read that before, part of why I bought NTO5 tires actually, then was advised to look into the PS2, which I did, not going there now at all.

I am having CCW build a set of sp16a polished wheels in 18x10.5 for 295 NTO5 up front and 19x13 for the rears with the 335, a bit wide on the wheels but I did not want 12 and they do not make a 12.5 in that one.

I would of gone to an 11 up front if available, I have a way to make it fit but they do not have blanks that will work.

Thanks again!
Rick
Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

IMHO the Michelin PS-2 is much better in standing water (rain). The tread is 10/32 new while the NT-05 is only 7/32 new. However as a dry track tire, the NT-05 is better in my opinion. It is cheaper and sticks better. ALSO the Michelin seems to cord easier on the inside fronts?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks, we get some rainy track days here, I just stay at home and do not take the car out in the rain on purpose on the street though got caught out the other day and had no issues at all but brand new tire depth on them.

Thanks
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To PS2 used for street, solo, HPDE, 2-3 year old new tires?

Quick Reply: PS2 used for street, solo, HPDE, 2-3 year old new tires?