Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monticello Motor Club to host U.S. GP?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Monticello Motor Club to host U.S. GP?

I saw this posted over at Cold Track Days:

The Monticello Motor Club in upstate New York is making a bid for the United States Grand Prix. According to Autoweek, the club’s 4.1 mile (6.59km) track has already been inspected by Formula One circuit designer, Hermann Tilke, and negotiations with F1 boss, Bernie Ecclestone, already underway... [read more]

A letter from Ari Strauss, president of the Monticello Motor Club reads:

"A few months ago, [MMC chairman] Bill McMichael and I met with Bernie Ecclestone, President/CEO of Formula One Management (FOM), and discussed the terms for an exclusive 10-year United States Grand Prix to be hosted at MMC.

Shortly thereafter, Hermann Tilke, the chief engineer and circuit designer for F1, spent time at MMC and confirmed that our track and surrounding properties, with some expansion and minor track modifications, is an excellent location for a Grand Prix.

Since receiving a letter of understanding from FOM confirming their hope to bring the U.S. Grand Prix to Monticello, Bill and I have continued to secure the backing and support of local, state, and federal politicians and organizations."

Bernie Ecclestone said earlier this year that he had no intention of brining Formula One back to Indianapolis because, “It’s all the wrong crowd and the wrong people." So with that said, it seems the Monticello Motor Club would be a far better fit for Formula One's return to the United States, wouldn't you agree?

http://coldtrackdays.blogspot.com/20...o-host-us.html
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm 58 and I'll be dead andforever before it gets to that track. The track I saw is to small and F-1 facilities do not exist there by a long shot. They have nothing there but an inflatable building. Look what it took INDY to get F-1 and there you have some real deep pockets. I know what I am reading I just don't see it happening.
I think Indy spent 50 million and that was years ago and they met a lot more F-1 requirements before they even started.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:34 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just the cost of the garage facilities that are missing!, let alone spectator facilities, lodging, no real pit road, I'd love to be wrong but I don't see it. Heck they don't have parking for more than a couple hundred cars.

But think of the free press they just got!

Last edited by 68sixspeed; 05-24-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed
Just the cost of the garage facilities that are missing!, let alone spectator facilities, lodging, no real pit road, I'd love to be wrong but I don't see it. Heck they don't have parking for more than a couple hundred cars.

But think of the free press they just got!

inflatable garage & lodging

track has already been inspected by Formula One circuit designer, Hermann Tilke, and negotiations with F1 boss, Bernie Ecclestone, already underway...
he must have been drunk

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-24-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be beyond amazed being there personally as well. From a spectator and paddock perspective, the track is not even ready to handle an SCCA club race let alone ALMS or God forbid F1. There wasn't enough parking for a PDA event with ZERO spectators.

Also, to make a point on the pit wall issue. If my memory serves me correctly, there are NO pits whatsoever, and pit lane is almost as long as my driveway (LOL).

Outside this, it is a VERY nice track, and suposedly they are connecting the long back strait with the front strait, so you are not making 1000 turns all day.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:18 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there for 2 days just a few weeks ago and there is no way they're going to be ready for F1 in the near future.

It's all about free press. Hell, even we've been fooled into talking about it!

Get notified of new replies

To Monticello Motor Club to host U.S. GP?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Monticello Motor Club to host U.S. GP?