Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel position sensor

Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel position sensor

Looking to add a Steering Wheel position sensor to my TraqMate.

Anybody know when I can pick up this sense wire on a C6 and what the voltage range of the sensor is?

Last edited by Dan Wendling; 05-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:41 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling

Anybody know when I can pick up this sense wire on a C6 and what the voltage range of the sensor is?
I don't have a C6 but on a C5 the position is determined by a voltage differential. The connector at the steering wheel is a 6 pin connector.
Pin 1 is a gray wire and is the 5 v reference
Pin 2 is ground org/blk wire
pin 3 and 4 are phase outputs to indicate the direction the wheel is turning lt. grn and lt. blue wires
Pin 5 may or may not be connected depending on whether you have the JL4 option (active handling) this provides an index voltage depending on whether active handling is on or off.
Pin 6 is a light blue wire and is the analog voltage differential.
It is centered at 2.5vdc +/- .1vdc. At full left lock it is about 0.3vdc and at full right lock it is about 4.7vdc.

Pin 6 is where I would get the voltage for a data system.

I don't know if the C6 is the same but it may give you something to look for and try.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks

Many thanks to geerookie. I will check it out on the C6 and see.

BTW: How did you come about these details?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
I don't have a C6 but on a C5 the position is determined by a voltage differential. The connector at the steering wheel is a 6 pin connector.
Pin 1 is a gray wire and is the 5 v reference
Pin 2 is ground org/blk wire
pin 3 and 4 are phase outputs to indicate the direction the wheel is turning lt. grn and lt. blue wires
Pin 5 may or may not be connected depending on whether you have the JL4 option (active handling) this provides an index voltage depending on whether active handling is on or off.
Pin 6 is a light blue wire and is the analog voltage differential.
It is centered at 2.5vdc +/- .1vdc. At full left lock it is about 0.3vdc and at full right lock it is about 4.7vdc.

Pin 6 is where I would get the voltage for a data system.

I don't know if the C6 is the same but it may give you something to look for and try.
Hey Geerookie,

I haven't seen you on this forum too much lately, please don't stay gone too long from now on, we need your exptertise.

BTW, where is this connector that is near the steering wheel?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:55 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Falcon
Hey Geerookie,

I haven't seen you on this forum too much lately, please don't stay gone too long from now on, we need your exptertise.

BTW, where is this connector that is near the steering wheel?

Thank You for the kind words.:o
I come and go depending on whether I'm traveling for work or working from the home office.
This is the connector at the base of the steering wheel near the firewall. You can also get access to the same wires on one of the connectors attached to the pass. side inner fender next to the battery.
Ultimatley they end up at the BCM in front of the steering pump.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
geerookie
Drifting

BTW: How did you come about these details?
Wiring schematics, many years in electronics design and a few years of multiple modifications to the electronics on my C5 coupe.

It's a dedicated track car and I have removed about 50lbs of electronics and wire as part of its weight reduction plan. It's down to about 2755 now without driver and about a 1/4 tank of gas.
Still has power windows, locks and all the glass. Even the electronic rear hatch release works and power mirrors.

The rest of the weight reduction is anything that resembles an interior, brake calipers, rotors and wheels, seats, battery, AC etc.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the TraqMate have an OBDII interface yet? If so, there are all sorts of sensors in that data stream -- you can even get the tire pressure sensor data...
Old 05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

i was just gonna say, that info has to be available from the OBDII port.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Default No OBDII Yet

TraqMate current release SU1 product does not support OBDII. They have a new release SU2 platform that includes some form of highspeed serial interface I assume CAN so they would be able to later release a OBDII product.

For now I can only monitor 4 analog voltages and then scale them and plot along with other collected track position, gear, rpm, and 2 axis accelerometer data.

Currently I monitor IAT and MAP to judge my TVS2300 performance.

Want to add steering wheel position and later brake line pressure.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Does the TraqMate have an OBDII interface yet? If so, there are all sorts of sensors in that data stream -- you can even get the tire pressure sensor data...
Nope, Traqmate doesn't have that ability, yet. I haven't heard that they are planning anything in the near future.

From what I understand certain data from each company's data is exclusive and not available for a generic plug. Obviously, some data has to be interpretable by any data reader, but other data might be exclusive. Is that so?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
From what I understand certain data from each company's data is exclusive and not available for a generic plug. Obviously, some data has to be interpretable by any data reader, but other data might be exclusive. Is that so?
That's my understanding, too, but the AiM guys have plumbed the CAN data out of the OBDII port into their data acquisition and they've been able to get me all sort of sensor data without me adding or tapping in to a single sensor.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Default Steering Angle Sensor is CAN based!

After a bit more research it looks like the 2010 C6 uses a serial CAN bus signaling to communicate with the Electronic Brake Control Module EBCM it shares this bus connection with the Yaw and Lateral Accelerometer Sensor.

Per page 5-8 of the 2010 Service Manual

Looks like I will need to wait for the UBDII option that should soon be coming from Traqmate. (We all wish)
Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

You didn't find a way to get this to work did you Dan?

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel position sensor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel position sensor