Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

minimum safe thickness for race brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default minimum safe thickness for race brake pads?

Hi,

Prepping here for the next event & wondering about min. thickness for pads. At PCA event I was just at, for day 2, they threw out 4mm as the min they would accept (although obviously they couldn't see).

Now wear out is different for different pads--obviously you need enough to get you through without going backer-to-metal rotor. But in terms of heat and fluid punishment, what is too thin? I'm sure there is a practical rule of thumb, I just don't know what that rule is.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 01:56 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

pads are good until you get to the metal, unless you have a compound know to chunk as the get low. However, you often get excess heat into the caliper as you get below about 1/3 of the pad.

I generally run the pad down to around 20-25% of it's initial thickness, although changing pads is so easy I've run them to the backing plates at events before.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You really don't want to hit metal it may be the wrong time it happens. I have had it happen few times. I have run down to 1/8" at the lowest point on the pad and it is still Ok except as Dave said heat transfer becomes a problem or even chunking of the pads. 20% is a good limit as Dave said.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

1.) How many laps you think you want to get out of the pad?
rotor on metal = no stop = death. If its a one day event track without much braking then you might get away with an 3/16" for the day. Remember rears dont abuse like fronts. You need way more in front than rear.

2.) Do you want to / can you swap your own pads at the track yourself?
I will often hit the track with a "easy days worth" of pad. At lunch or day end will do a fast swap so i can get the last little bit of $$ outa a pad.

3.) why does PCA do this?
Because HPDE attracts newbies that dont know SH-T about their car, let alone own tools. This is their way of avoiding a disaster and being liable for the injury or crash.

4.) what to do with low pads that you dont trust on a road course?
Simple Auto Cross. I save my old pads with an 1/8" or less for autocross. Sell them cheap to your autocross buddies! A great race pad can cost $400+ for four corners. And its hard to heat cycle a pad for autocross. Sell your used pads already heat cycled to the Cone bashers for like $50 - $75 for the 4 corners. You get some $$ towards new pads, they get killer pads to shave tenths that are way fine for their needs and will never risk their life and limb. A whole day at autocross will never take out a 1/8" pad. How many runs you get 4 - 6 on average for a total driving time of like 5 to 10 minutes? And autoX never has enough heat or speed to kill the pads the way RR does.

Last edited by Zenak; 05-27-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:53 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

get all the good out of 'em. run 'em flat, then flip 'em over
Old 05-27-2010, 04:02 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
pads are good until you get to the metal, unless you have a compound know to chunk as the get low. However, you often get excess heat into the caliper as you get below about 1/3 of the pad.

I generally run the pad down to around 20-25% of it's initial thickness, although changing pads is so easy I've run them to the backing plates at events before.
This is 25% of the thickness of the pad material, not counting the backing plate I assume. Sounds good. Thanks

I agree especially w/the fronts, pads are so easy to change--it doesn't make sense to throw them away long before they are done. I find the Wil H pad does not wear too fast.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:58 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM... run em till the backing plate..

After market, it depends on how deep the piston sits in the bore of the caliper. I'm finding that with the SL6 narrow, you cant go much less than 1/2 pad or else the pistons start to move around and score up the bores.

plus... new pads always feel SO much better.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:38 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
But in terms of heat and fluid punishment, what is too thin? I'm sure there is a practical rule of thumb, I just don't know what that rule is.
I make sure I start a day with at least 50% of pad.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I try to run them until they are within a couple mm of the backing plate and always carry spare pads in the truck for both front and back. That way no mater how far they wear, I don't have to worry about hanging up up early for a 2 day (or 1 day) event.

Worst case you could always use your street pads as long as you adjust your driving to compensate on the track.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thermal isolator the last 1.5mm of any race worthy pad. Its not a pad compound, so it lacks the performance of the regular compound that you just got done using.

People often bring up heat as an issue as the pad wears- Yes, that is an issue, however, not for most on here. The issue is that the thermal barrier will not stop the car like the compound that was glued to it.

Throw them in the garbage with .125 left.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
There is a thermal isolator the last 1.5mm of any race worthy pad. Its not a pad compound, so it lacks the performance of the regular compound that you just got done using.

People often bring up heat as an issue as the pad wears- Yes, that is an issue, however, not for most on here. The issue is that the thermal barrier will not stop the car like the compound that was glued to it.

Throw them in the garbage with .125 left.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:06 AM
bearnest
Pro

Hey Sothpaw, did you ever find out if my c6 pads will fit your car??? I had the white 911
next to you at summit point.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Default 50% of the pad left?

ryan0 .. I might take your 50% pads if you are just going to throw them out, save the landfill !!

What pad type do you run?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling
ryan0 .. I might take your 50% pads if you are just going to throw them out, save the landfill !!

right now... wilwood H
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling

Me Me Me! I'll take 50% pads too!
i can swap out sets in no time! Hell to save money I will swap them between session to afford more seat time!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bearnest
Hey Sothpaw, did you ever find out if my c6 pads will fit your car??? I had the white 911
next to you at summit point.
Hi there! Yeah the base C6 and C6Z51 caliper is the same size as the C5 and the pads are the same. The different pad is the C6Z06 or C6 ZR1. So I suspect the pads you have will fit nearly all Corvettes from 1997-2009 (before we started having Grandsports etc) making it probably the most common pad size out there for a Corvette.

Let me know what you have in front pads--how much min. thickness & type. I think I'd try XP10 but maybe try XP12 --I know the XP12 wears very fast though. And my Wilwoods are at over 50% so I still don't have to have 'em yet--had a bad alignment (contributed to the push) so have to get that fixed & front tires (alignment nuked them).
Old 05-28-2010, 03:10 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Carbotech package insert for AX and XP Series compounds states: "If the pads are wearing evenly, they can be used until worn within 5/32" (3.9mm) of the backing plate."

The rule of thumb used by my race shop: use until friction material is down to the thickness of the backing plate. This seems to be consistent with most of the recommendations.

Andy

Get notified of new replies

To minimum safe thickness for race brake pads?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:09 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryan0
...you cant go much less than 1/2 pad or else the pistons start to move around and score up the bores.
Another issue that happened to me for the second time yesterday is that the seals/dust shields on the pistons can get knocked out as the pistons have to reach out furthur as the pad thickness declines. I swap in race pads for track days and had installed a set with approximately .2" remaining since it was going to be a cold, short day with 3 students.

I am using Stoptech ST-60/ST-40 calipers and Hawk DTC-70 pads.

Front: HB122U.710 new pad thickness = .710"
Rear: HB141U.650 new pad thickness = .650"

I've been having great results with this combination of calipers/pads with fantastic stopping/modulation and respectable pad/rotor life. Front ducting with backing plate probably helps by keeping temps down. Seals/dust shields are the only issue.

If the new pad starts at .710" and you run it down to .16" that means the pistons end up being extended an extra .55" at the end of the pad life. That is a big percentage of the piston diameter and length. Even if you only use 50% of the pad the pistons are still extending out .355".

I have decided to try an experiment to mitigate some of this problem. I am going to build some shims to install behind the pads. If the shims were approximately .25" thick you could use half the available pad thickness then install the shim behind the pad and use the second half of the pad thickness. This would protect the caliper by keeping the pistons more engaged in their bore and would also reduce heat transfer.

I just happen to have some leftover 6Al-4V Titanium from a completed F-22 Raptor project that is just about the correct size.

Thermal conductivity of metals (BTU/(hr-ft-deg f):

Aluminum ~ 136
Mild steel ~ 31
Titanium ~ 13

If I'm going to build one set, guess I should build a few...

Does anyone know of a good source for the Stoptech caliper rebuild kit and some instructions???

Dean

Last edited by kentz06; 05-28-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:23 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Old 05-29-2010, 07:05 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Shims and spacers I have used for years to keep the pistons in the bores and they are cheap and work great as the pad wears and or to insulate.

Quick Reply: minimum safe thickness for race brake pads?