Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Break Questions

I need to do a flush for the VIR track event coming up and plan to change my pads also. Please tell me how much brake fluid I need to purchase. I have searched and found extensive debates on which type but am not sure of the quantity I need to purchase.

Also, has anyone used the Hawk performance HP Plus pads? If so, can you tell me your opinion.

Last edited by mfquinn; 05-27-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mfquinn
I need to do a flush for the VIR track event coming up and plan to change my pads also. Please tell me how much brake fluid I need to purchase. I have searched and found extensive debates on which type but am not sure of the quantity I need to purchase.

Also, has anyone used the Hawk performance HP Plus pads? If so, can you tell me your opinion.
I usually get one quart of Valvoline DOT4
The Hawk HP+ seem quite good for biginner to advanced the harder braking used by the well advanced driver may stress them too much. Most of the people actuallt racing use something like the DTC70 which is a pure track pad and not usable on the street.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

For the first few track days, Valvoline syntec 4 is just fine as is the HP+ pad.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:46 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

When I flushed my wife's C5 i used less than a quart of the valvoline.
My c4 takes about the same.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

I'd recommend three bottles of AP Racing Super 600. You should be able to use two, and take a spare bottle with you to the track in case you need to bleed your brakes during the event.

HP Plus are okay, but more of a street/autoX pad than a full out road course pad. As stated, you'd probably be okay on your first track day though.

If you want something with a bit more capability that you won't grow out of as quickly, I'd recommend the CL RC5+.
Front RC5+

Rear RC5+

I have all of this stuff on the shelf and ready to ship. Let me know if you have any questions. 704-824-6030

Get notified of new replies

To Break Questions

Quick Reply: Break Questions