Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Try The Go Pro HD Motorsports Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:20 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Anyone Try The Go Pro HD Motorsports Camera?

Was wondering about how you mounted it, picture quality, sound quality, battery life and what kind of memory you used. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:49 PM
ajderzie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love it! Lot of GoPro haters here but video quality is awesome. Very wide angle lens (170 degrees). Comes with very good suction cup mount as well as semi-permanent mounts. Sound is insane if outside the car and no wind noise. Inside a little low volume. Can get a roll bar mount for it as well.

Here's a link of me in a Radical SR3 using GoProHD wide.

http://gallery.mac.com/alainderzie#100349

Shot at 720p 60fps.
1080p wont shoot as wide of an angle.
Enjoy!

Last edited by ajderzie; 06-02-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Changed 30fps to 60fps
Old 05-30-2010, 08:44 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajderzie
Love it! Lot of GoPro haters here but video quality is awesome. Very wide angle lens (170 degrees). Comes with very good suction cup mount as well as semi-permanent mounts. Sound is insane if outside the car and no wind noise. Inside a little low volume. Can get a roll bar mount for it as well.

Here's a link of me in a Radical SR3 using GoProHD wide.

http://gallery.mac.com/alainderzie#100349

Shot at 720p 30fps.
1080p wont shoot as wide of an angle.
Enjoy!
Great video! Picture and sound quality seem really good. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:18 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

the HD One is WAYYYYY better then the 1st go pro series for battery life and storage space
Old 05-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Sherminator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just used ours a couple weekends ago at an autocross. We also use it for static dyno vids. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/user/DavenportMotorsports
Old 05-31-2010, 03:26 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like mine but it's not without problems. Assuming your not willing to put $300 on top of your car and you want it inside you have to either stick it to the dash or more likely the window. The best solution would be to hang it upside down, but they don't have the software to flip it available yet. I use mine mounted at the bottom of the window by the suction mount. Set up this way I have expirenced 3 problems, 1st it is hard to tell if the camera is on, especially if your like me and need reading glasses to see the tiny monitor mounted on the front of the camera. The way I have it set up, I have to tilt it back, verify its on then tilt it forward and lock it down. The HD quality is great, and I am using mine to video autocross, haven't even dented the battery. Have almost used up my 8GB card. 2nd I have had some days like today where it will record the day, but break it into more than one file, and one of the files wont work. Don't know why. Last but not least is the mic is good and picks up every noise, especially clicking. I had mine bent back to shoot through the window, and one of the clicking sounds appears to be the camera case clicking off the windshield.

Dollar for Dollar a great buy. If your an SCCA member I recommend going to Saferacer. They give 10% off to SCCA members, free shipping over $99 and don't charge sales tax. Saved me 18% here in California.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 AM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Great little camera

Have mine mounted between the seats on a Sharkbar harness bar using the GoPro roll bar mount. Excellent solid no vibration mount. Battery lasts about 7-8 20 minute track sessions. (Ordered a spare li-ion battery $20 from the GoPro site.) Each vid is about 2GB in best HD mode. There are 5 recording modes including the lowest res which you can load to Vimeo or You Tube. 16GB card is enough for Sat/Sun, but I usually download each to the laptop right after session. Got a Sandisk SDHC class 10 Extreme Duty memory card on Amazon for about $100. Very reliable so far and downloads 2 GB less than 2 mins. Need to label the on/off (front) and record(top) buttons so you can remember which to push right before you go on track. Can check the red record light flashing in the rear view mirror. Upside down recording mode firmware was supposed to be an online download in May, but it has been delayed. This is needed if you use the suction cup mount on an inside window. Bought a Pelican hard case to transport the camera and all the bits and pieces to the track inside my track box.

In this mount position with the white balance set for shooting video from inside to outside, I have a great view of the track and my hands on the wheel. I have found it very beneficial to review each video after a run with an instructor so I can make some adjustments the next time out. It is a GREAT teaching and learning tool. Now I am trying to figure a way to mount the camera so that the HUD is visible! Well worth the money!

Last edited by 72Vega; 06-01-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grantar2
I like mine but it's not without problems. Assuming your not willing to put $300 on top of your car and you want it inside you have to either stick it to the dash or more likely the window. The best solution would be to hang it upside down, but they don't have the software to flip it available yet. I use mine mounted at the bottom of the window by the suction mount. Set up this way I have expirenced 3 problems, 1st it is hard to tell if the camera is on, especially if your like me and need reading glasses to see the tiny monitor mounted on the front of the camera. The way I have it set up, I have to tilt it back, verify its on then tilt it forward and lock it down. The HD quality is great, and I am using mine to video autocross, haven't even dented the battery. Have almost used up my 8GB card. 2nd I have had some days like today where it will record the day, but break it into more than one file, and one of the files wont work. Don't know why. Last but not least is the mic is good and picks up every noise, especially clicking. I had mine bent back to shoot through the window, and one of the clicking sounds appears to be the camera case clicking off the windshield.

Dollar for Dollar a great buy. If your an SCCA member I recommend going to Saferacer. They give 10% off to SCCA members, free shipping over $99 and don't charge sales tax. Saved me 18% here in California.
So with all the mounting hardware they supply you there is really no good way to hard mount it in the car? Like on the rear view mirror, the OnStar antenna etc.? Is mounting it on a harness bar the only way to mount it securely?

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 72Vega
Have mine mounted between the seats on a Sharkbar harness bar using the GoPro roll bar mount. Excellent solid no vibration mount. Battery lasts about 2 20 minute track sessions. (Ordered a spare li-ion battery $20 from the GoPro site.) Each vid is about 2GB in best HD mode. There are 5 recording modes including the lowest res which you can load to Vimeo or You Tube. 16GB card is enough for Sat/Sun, but I usually download each to the laptop right after session. Got a Sandisk SDHC class 10 Extreme Duty memory card on Amazon for about $100. Very reliable so far and downloads 2 GB less than 2 mins. Need to label the on/off (front) and record(top) buttons so you can remember which to push right before you go on track. Can check the red record light flashing in the rear view mirror. Upside down recording mode firmware was supposed to be an online download in May, but it has been delayed. This is needed if you use the suction cup mount on an inside window. Bought a Pelican hard case to transport the camera and all the bits and pieces to the track inside my track box.

In this mount position with the white balance set for shooting video from inside to outside, I have a great view of the track and my hands on the wheel. I have found it very beneficial to review each video after a run with an instructor so I can make some adjustments the next time out. It is a GREAT teaching and learning tool. Now I am trying to figure a way to mount the camera so that the HUD is visible! Well worth the money!
They claim the li-ion battery is good for 2 1/2 hours. Are you saying you only get about 40 minutes out of the battery?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 10:34 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I got the Aiptek HD from Amazon for $107 plus wide angle lense for $30. Takes awesome movies at 720p 60 fr/sec. I can get over 3 hrs on 1 8g sd card. Only issue is it records in Quicktime .mov and my editing software won't read it. Looking for converter software. However, on my 110" big screen tv, the pic quality is awesome. It is a good alternative.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by waddisme
I got the Aiptek HD from Amazon for $107 plus wide angle lense for $30. Takes awesome movies at 720p 60 fr/sec. I can get over 3 hrs on 1 8g sd card. Only issue is it records in Quicktime .mov and my editing software won't read it. Looking for converter software. However, on my 110" big screen tv, the pic quality is awesome. It is a good alternative.
Thanks. I'll check it out. How did you mount it? Open to other suggestions as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sherminator
We just used ours a couple weekends ago at an autocross. We also use it for static dyno vids. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/user/DavenportMotorsports
Nice driving! Picture looks great. Any way to hear the motor more with less wind noise? How did you mount it?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mcar00
Thanks. I'll check it out. How did you mount it? Open to other suggestions as well.
Mine is mounted on my harnessbar. I will try to post some vids.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Those that have Go Pro HD, what program did you use to edit it? Will Movie Maker work to edit it? JD
Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 PM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcar00
They claim the li-ion battery is good for 2 1/2 hours. Are you saying you only get about 40 minutes out of the battery?

Thanks
Sorry dude...correction made to my post...brain fade...I need to sit out the next session and get rehydrated...
Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Those that have Go Pro HD, what program did you use to edit it? Will Movie Maker work to edit it? JD

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...tml#cnetReview

"Regardless of resolution, all videos are saved with H.264 and compressed as MPEG4 files. "

here is a fix for that

http://www.solitude.dk/archives/20060401-1602

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Try The Go Pro HD Motorsports Camera?

Quick Reply: Anyone Try The Go Pro HD Motorsports Camera?