Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Friendly Water Pump & Hoses?

Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Track Friendly Water Pump & Hoses?

Hey Gang,

I've got a coolant leak on my 99 FRC, which from the puddle location is probably the water pump or one of the hoses around it. I'll have to check it out after work. The car's my DD, but I run it on the local track as well. I've just gone over the 'what I've learned' thread again - and maybe I missed it, but I didn't catch anything on coolant hoses or water pumps. I seem to remember seeing some silicone hoses somwhere, but am not sure if that's necessary. Any recommendations, or is FLAPS good enough?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If it's the pump, both

PRW

http://www.prwonlinestore.com/chevy_9.aspx

and LMP

www.lmperformance.com

have high flow pumps for the LS1/6/2s
Old 05-31-2010, 11:54 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LG Motorsport has silicone hoses.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1668

I think Pfadt carries them also.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:08 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there any benefit to a higher flowing pump with the stock radiator? Or even with an aftermarket radiator?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The 'leak' seems to have become intermittant or disappeared - a small puddle appeared just as I was parking it after auto-xing a couple of Sundays ago, perhaps it belched out an air pocket when it finally returned to idle after the 1hour drive home. I didn't drive it last week, and haven't seen anything actually come out of the car after getting it up to temp/pressure on my daily commutes this week. I'll have to keep checking...

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Is there any benefit to a higher flowing pump with the stock radiator? Or even with an aftermarket radiator?
This is an interesting question, if the limiting factor is the rate the radiator can dissipate the heat (which would have to factor in ambient air temp and air flow rate - fans and ram-air), then increasing the flow rate may just pump the not-cooled-enough coolant back into the engine. But, if the rad is not the limiting factor, then increasing flow rate should increase cooling...

Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Has anyone actually tried any of the pumps listed above? I'd be curious if they can handle the abuse given out road-racing/DEing etc.
TIA

Get notified of new replies

To Track Friendly Water Pump & Hoses?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Friendly Water Pump & Hoses?